Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bangers going off

Options
  • 06-10-2009 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

Anyone having much of a problem with muppets setting off bangers at the moment? It started in earnest in my area (near uchg) at the weekend and I'm trying to think if it started this early last year(?). Fortunately neither of my dogs are too bothered by them (except when its very close and they get growly) but I pity anyone with gun-shy dogs or young kids for the next few weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Its october.... 3 more weeks and its over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Bit stupid they're illegal in the first place, just puts money in the wrong peoples hands, people who don't have age restriction

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I can hear the distant pop pop sounds wisping their way down the chimney as we speak :)
    Used to indulge myself as a kid I must confess, but never threw them at dogs or put them in LETTERBOXES like I remember some little feckers doing...one kid got a really bad burn from one shoved down his jumper.
    No way to really stop kids messing with them, unless adults have a cool fw display and involve the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Only the odd bang, its usually pretty quiet in my area for halloween

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Started in Ballybane last weekend and its been like Afganistan(would have said The Lebanon, when I was a kid) on a couple of nights. Personally, I'd like to string up the users and sellers in a line and hop the bangers off them for a couple of hours, to see how they like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,492 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

just get earplugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

rarnes1 wrote: »
    just get earplugs.

Why the heck should we have to??:mad: This is not your usual house party or loud music from parked cars etc. these are irrisponsible idiots that are breaking the law and endangering themselves, and more seriously, the general public in their area. In the westside of town they are throwing them at passers-by and at cars. Last weekend they even stuck a banger in the sliding door of a neighbors house and the next day there was a locksmith there having to repair the damage caused, getting earplugs is not any defence against that behaviour!! Its not only the cats and dogs around the city that are suffering from the noise, what about the poor old folk that are living on there own that are terrified to even go to their own front doors and jump everytime one of those bangers go off. The Gards, in their defence, are up around the estates in the westside a good bit over the last week, but as soon as they arrive these yobs go into hiding in the alleys that have now been closed off because of the trouble with youths congregating in them, but thats another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I don't mind the noise and don't mind teenagers having fun with them (I used to set of fireworks/bangers when I was younger) but stuff like throwing them in letterboxes, down chimneys or at people/animals is terrible behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

that is why we moved to the country. ah bliss. no more twits doing stupid things around this time of year..id live with the moo ooo sound of the cow in the next field , i feel so sorry for you guys who have to live with it. the guards wont do anything cos the #eckers would run when they see ne naw coming in the distance. do ye have neibour hud watch? pellet gun might work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

blond45 wrote: »
    do ye have neibour hud watch?

Is that like a knock off Rolex?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

What is neighbour watch going to do? Not trying to be smart about it. My friend lives in Knocknacarra, very involved with his local group and ended up in hospital when he went out to a group of youths outside his house with them and one of them threw it at him. As for the parents, age old story of, proof. They wanted proof it was their little darling that did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

When you hear loud bangs out the country it's actual gunshots (albeit from people hunting, usually).

I'm glad there are no guns ever going off near me in Galway City, that would be a lot worse than bangers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

No guns in Galway city going off?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

No guns in Galway city going off?!

Well we're not in Limerick city afterall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

That's not very nice. Roman candles are the worst around the Barna area IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

KevR wrote: »

I'm glad there are no guns ever going off near me in Galway City

Yeah....... http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0424/mcdonagha.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

The only bangers in my area are sitting in my driveway unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

its been like Afganistan(would have said The Lebanon, when I was a kid)

Same as, used to say Beirut when I was a nipper (and yes, I realise its the capital of Lebanon). Westside used to be damn bad in years gone by, it'd look like tracer rounds going up everywhere there was so many fireworks going off. Never really had a problem with fireworks, its the bloody bangers I've a beef with. S**ts throwing them at cars and the occasional person. Would love to catch some of them and tape a few bangers to them and set them off. I'd be nailed to the wall by the courts though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Gadfly

I had a banger go off outside my front door the last night. They knocked at the door, then set it off. Two seconds earlier it would have gone up in my face. Years earlier one was thrown through the letterbox. :mad: They sound like bombs up-close.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,492 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The only bangers in my area are sitting in my driveway unfortunately.

lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Jurphy1202

Around ballybane is awful bad for them. I remember a few years ago I was walking up with a friend of mine and 2 little knackers started firing rockets and roman candles at us. Scared the **** out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I lived in Castlepark a few years back. It was this time of year and the kids were at the bangers and that.

My aul fella came around to visit. He nearly had a heart attack when a rather loud banger went off down the street somewhere. Apparently, according to him it was a shotgun blast and nothing would convince him otherwise. :D

He thought it wasn't the best place for me to be living, which is a bit rich for someone from my home place to be saying, considering the amount of scumbags around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

A huge one went off last night in the cladagh area...All the swans and birds went crazy after it. I have a feeling that whoever set it off threw it at the swans to scare/wake them. Scumbags :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Since when did switchblades make banging noises? :confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Bloody Tet Offensive. Life would be a lot simpler if we could radio Almighty for a napalm strike on these little ****ers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

GalKiefer wrote: »
    Same as, used to say Beirut when I was a nipper (and yes, I realise its the capital of Lebanon). Westside used to be damn bad in years gone by, it'd look like tracer rounds going up everywhere there was so many fireworks going off.

I didn't cop this might be a problem until the day I was moving in my stuff a few weeks ago. I'm not in Westside really, just close to it. Have heard some going off but it hasn't been too bad yet. I fully expect it to get worse as the month progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭An Capall Dubh

Detective Sergeant Willie Beirne

Is that not the dirtiest cop name you've ever seen/read??

• Registered Users Posts: 27 stevendcarroll

was in town friday around 4pm and they were setting them off in the square! Never remember them doing that before!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

There still going off from time to time.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭3-D Preacher

Every so often there are a couple of "delightful little tykes" who walk up and down shop street throwing bangers over their shoulders as they go. When I'm working I can usually see them at it. Still waiting for an opportunity to point them out to a guard/traffic warden...

Advertisement