Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish 'Free' Banking

Options
  • 06-10-2009 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭

Just thought i'd share,

I moved to the Netherlands a few years back and when i got here i asked the question about free banking and nobody new what i was talking about.

So i opened an account with a bank here, which costs 8 euros a quarter, which I thought was a ripoff tbh.

Only it turned out it wasnt a ripoff, i can travel to anywhere in the world and withdraw money from any ATM abroad and pay no charges whatsoever.

This has proved quite handy as i work in Germany and the banks here charge 2.50 a go for using each others ATM's, so with my Dutch card i can go to any ATM and not get charged anymore for withdrawing money. But if i use my German card at a different bank i get a 2.50 withdrawel fee :mad:

Plus in the Netherlands there isn't a government levy for ATM/Debit/Chipknip/Credit Cards.

So for 32 Euros per year I have flat rate European banking.

Is there something in Ireland thats the equivolent ?

I've been searching around and the only thing i could find is HSBC's Dual Sterling/Euro account offering in the UK, but that doesn't cover ATM Withdrawels.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

EUR cash withdrawals are free in most EU countries with most Iish current account products.

The government levy is outside of the banks countrol.

We do not need to move backwards to the old quarterly charges regime here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I have a halifax visa card in Ireland and can make free atm withdrawl's anywhere in europe.
    I made some purchase's in NI in some shop's and was not charged for it. It was just the exchange rate.
    I think atm withdrawl's are charged at 1.75%iirc.
    No quarterly fee's on the account.

Advertisement