Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Oh Why Are Games the Black Sheep of the Media Family?

Options
  • 07-10-2009 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭

The gaming industry is like the unappreciated child in a family. The eldest son does something and it is amazing, but when the black sheep does it he gets shouted at and grounded.

This rant was inspired by this article. I'll be honest and say that few things get me as riled up as censorship, but when it is retarded and inconsistent censorship I feel like murdering someone (not inspired by violence in video games, by the way). Australia bans a computer game for having prostitution and pretty-much-weed in it, but a film can have rape, murder and genocide and this is fine, they just slap an 18+ label on it. A novel can go into grotesquely explicit atrocities of the most heinous and dispicable sort and there are no age limitations.

Also notice that their highest rating is 15+...so if something is not appropriate for 15 year olds then they make it illegal to sell, buy or promote the game in the country.

What the hell Australia, when did you go batshit crazy? What in the name of God is with this ludicrous over censorship of video games? Mass Effect lets you have a sex scene that is so tame a 12 year old wouldn't bat an eyelid and it's an international scandal. Is it just that games are new and confusing to the generation that are making these laws?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

It's a new medium...and it makes people afraid. As a result of players being interactive; i.e. it is as a result of the player's actions that someone dies - games get watched more closely.

However, I do not believe that games inspire violence or make us less repulsed by it.

To answer your closing question...yes.

🤪

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It'll be like this for a while. Over the top action movies got the same treatment as did rock/metal music. These were meant to lead to the downfall of society and cause our children to worship satan and sacrifice small puppies in his name. Something new will come along for people to fear and they'll forget all about computer games and the "harm" they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Offalycool

Our society is falling down.. but regardless.

The big problem with video games is in its interactivity. With music, you are either a consumer, or creator. The creator, if competent in their discipline, can improve their talent and develop valuable skills that will further their ability to sustain a fulfilling life. The interactive aspects of music can be a positive thing by and large. For the consumer, music is not (for the most part) an interactive experience, and so, it is less likely to dominate all your energy and inhibit your personal development in other areas of your life. Music on the other hand, I believe, has a profound influence on our societies overall, and few I believe would deny this.

In contrast, the skills developed by video game players are not much use to themselves, or anybody else. Because they are extremely interactive, much time and energy can, and is, funnelled by people into video games, especially the youth. Young people, who increasingly suffer from ADD and other syndromes, are developing their minds and bodies in front of the xbox, to the detriment of their future. Of course, it is understandable that parents can see the benefits of entertained and docile children in the evenings after a hard days work. I myself have enjoyed a game after a hard days work. However, I understand now, more than before, how my ability and potential is developed by what I do. If I spend my time playing video games, I am going to suffer as a consequence. I will not learn anything that will improve my life. Frankly, I spent a good deal of my time playing games, and most video games are uninspired rehashes of what has come before. At my age, its all a bit repetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Offalycool wrote: »

The big problem with video games is in its interactivity. With music, you are either a consumer, or creator. The creator, if competent in their discipline, can improve their talent and develop valuable skills that will further their ability to sustain a fulfilling life. The interactive aspects of music can be a positive thing by and large. For the consumer, music is not (for the most part) an interactive experience, and so, it is less likely to dominate all your energy and inhibit your personal development in other areas of your life. Music on the other hand, I believe, has a profound influence on our societies overall, and few I believe would deny this.

In contrast, the skills developed by video game players are not much use to themselves, or anybody else. Because they are extremely interactive, much time and energy can, and is, funnelled by people into video games, especially the youth. Young people, who increasingly suffer from ADD and other syndromes, are developing their minds and bodies in front of the xbox, to the detriment of their future. Of course, it is understandable that parents can see the benefits of entertained and docile children in the evenings after a hard days work. I myself have enjoyed a game after a hard days work. However, I understand now, more than before, how my ability and potential is developed by what I do. If I spend my time playing video games, I am going to suffer as a consequence. I will not learn anything that will improve my life. Frankly, I spent a good deal of my time playing games, and most video games are uninspired rehashes of what has come before. At my age, its all a bit repetitive.

I bolded the bits relevant to the thread.

Fair enough, as far a censuring violence goes.. Without data supporting the claim that video game violence in particular leads to violent behaviour in people, censorship should not unduly target the video games industry.

Nevertheless, I believe the thread title "Why Oh Why Are Games the Black Sheep of the Media Family?" justified my point.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

sh1t!!! is it?
    oh bugger

there isnt a chance that people have been saying this since the dawn of historical records and it hasnt happened yet?
    well i dunno, whatever Offalycool says about the fall of society im going to believe

anyhow...
    i did write an article about this some time ago. ill have a dig around and see if i can find it tomorow

Well, its a popular point of view in trying times :D

Would like to read that article of yours though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Zillah wrote: »
    Is it just that games are new and confusing to the generation that are making these laws?

Obviously.

The people who run these censorship boards are usually guys in their 50's or older. I imagine they are regarded as being of the required vintage to make good decisions on matters like this. Funnily enough, its exactly because of this that they are so out of touch with gaming culture, which leads to silly sh!t like this happening. Austrailia is a bermuda triangle when it comes to censorship anyway.

Im convinced it will all change in the next 20 years though. Gaming is no longer just a kids toy but is now a respectable form of entertainment. When the kids of the megadrive / playstation generation become the heads of these censorship boards, it will be a good day for all!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I think the contrast of consumer vs performer in video games/music is alot more complicated then you make it out to be. You associate the ability to perform music as an equivilent as someone who is good at a video game. But in a creative industry they are not the same aspect of the industry, one is consumer the other is performer, in all industries the consumer does not develop a vast array of talents. Just because someone buys alot of music and listens to it does not mean they will develope the ability to perform better, equally someone who plays alot of video games will not develop skills to create games. The consumer aspect of both is simply that, its for consumers. We consume, not produce. A small percentage of those who consume in all industries will embrace it so much that they will become producers.

Someone who can play an instrument or sing in harmony is a development of practical skills and the industry is the one that sells music books, instruments and other such aids. This is not the same industry that sells britney spears albums.

Equally the industry that sells programming software, graphic designing tools and software development kits are tooled speciifcally to someone who wants to develop pracitical skills in video game design. This is again not the same industry that sells Mario brothers. (though like some musicians, some game designers do encoruge the development of skills by releasing SDKs etc.)

You have grabbed one end of the spectrum of one industry and the other end of another industry, and compared them and concluded that because the consumer side of one does not present the same pracitical skills as the production side of the other it is therefore perceaved inferior.

Both industries, like television, literature, art and film have different sides to the industry. THe larger side in all of them is the consumer side and the products there are to entertain, inspire and evoke an emotional response. The other side of all of these industries is the sale of the tools and skills to become a producer. All of them have it. The video game industry is no different.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    ... Just because someone buys alot of music and listens to it does not mean they will develope the ability to perform better, equally someone who plays alot of video games will not develop skills to create games. The consumer aspect of both is simply that, its for consumers. We consume, not produce. A small percentage of those who consume in all industries will embrace it so much that they will become producers.

I agree. I am not claiming that the consumer of music or video games will improve worthwhile skills in the process. I am stating the opposite.
    Someone who can play an instrument or sing in harmony is a development of practical skills and the industry is the one that sells music books, instruments and other such aids. This is not the same industry that sells britney spears albums.... Equally the industry that sells programming software, graphic designing tools and software development kits are tooled speciifcally to someone who wants to develop pracitical skills in video game design. This is again not the same industry that sells Mario brothers. (though like some musicians, some game designers do encoruge the development of skills by releasing SDKs etc.)

I agree.
    You have grabbed one end of the spectrum of one industry and the other end of another industry, and compared them and concluded that because the consumer side of one does not present the same pracitical skills as the production side of the other it is therefore perceaved inferior.

I have. I guess I do not see much creativity in developing video games, nor is it as accessible to young people as picking up a musical instrument (the console is not open for would be young developers). It is true that (in my opinion) that you wont learn a musical instrument by playing with your HI FI (sorry DJ's).
    Both industries, like television, literature, art and film have different sides to the industry. THe larger side in all of them is the consumer side and the products there are to entertain, inspire and evoke an emotional response. The other side of all of these industries is the sale of the tools and skills to become a producer. All of them have it. The video game industry is no different.

My point was to emphasise the degree of commitment video games require from consumers in comparison to other media. A film is two hours maybe, a song four minutes, people often play a video game for hours, sometimes days. I can listen to music all day whilst I do other things. I must walk away from the film when the credits role. The interactive demands of video games require me to commit all my energies and concentration to them. If I become addicted to video games, I will not be able to live as full a life as the music addict. The film addict may be closer to video games, but the lack of interactivity will lead the lover of film to moderate his intake.

Edit: I suppose the elephant in the room is T.V. But I think most people will agree that such an addiction is terminal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I have. I guess I do not see much creativity in developing video games,

The same creative skills used in animation and filmmaking are used in the development of video games. Are you saying you dont see much creativity in the development of major motion pictures. And I'm not just talking about visual effects. Alot of the creative skills found in filmmaking resurface in game design. Equally game design shares an equal amount of core skills with the countless other programming based industries.
    nor is it as accessible to young people as picking up a musical instrument

thats debatable. Its easy access for someone to learn to play the piano or harmonica or guitar and play basic melody. Just as it is easy access for someone to gain access to XNA or flash and build basic game designs.

Where it becomes more complicated is how far they want to take the skills. A musician might need to learn multiple instruments, learn to read and write music, use music editing software and the intricite details of their instruments to get the most out of them. That all requires time and as it becomes more complicated it becomes less accessable.

You are placing basic instrument knowledge on the same pedestal as say the development of grand theft auto. They are not. A more sensible comparison would be the selection of flash games online, or xna community games distributed on xbox live. Simple grasp of the basics.

My point was to emphasise the degree of commitment video games require from consumers in comparison to other media. A film is two hours maybe, a song four minutes, people often play a video game for hours, sometimes days.

Books and television? tv shows span a series of 26, 40 minute peisodes per season, the average successfull series would run for seven seasosns. Thats roughly 121 hours commitment to one full average tv series is five full days of commitment. A book is varied in length and can take one person a single evening to finish and another person could take a week. The difference between books and televsion and music and film, is their commitment thresehold. Video games falls much closer to the commitment thresehold of books and television, it is the consumer's choice how much they take in at a time, game development is designed around the idea that a player wont complete it in one session and genres have grown around the notion of how much commitment players are willing to give.

Music and Film are designed in their very presentation to be taken as a whole in one sitting. The rise of technology to pause and rewind has done more to damage these creative forces then to benefit them. THe existence of cinema's persist because they are the ideal enviroment for the design of film, control is out of the consumer's hands and its a single focused event over a 2 hour period.

When it comes to commitment as a comsumer its apples and oranges between music and video games.

I can load up sonic the hedgehog, play one level lasting 6 minutes, then turn off the game with intent to return later to play the next level. In those 6 minutes I would have gotten a full rounded satisfying experiance as a consumer, but I didnt taste the full experiance.

With music if I played only half of a track of queen's bohemian rhapsody, then paused it with intent to return later, I wouldnt be as satisfied, the experiance which was designed to be as a whole was broken up.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

This is one thing that really pisses me off. I firmly believe games should be strictly rated like films and the ratings enforced in shops. It seems like the obvious solution and i dont get why it isnt done. If games are rated properly so parents and retailers have faith in and can be confident that the raitings are appropriate i dont see how anyone could complain any more.

It should be far easier to enforce than ratings on films etc.

A system could easily be implimented where consoles/pcs only play PG/G/U/12+ (or whatever) in certain accounts or with a password. as it is if a child wants to watch a 18s film they just have to wait till the parents leave the house and just sneak the dvd out of dads bedside locker. With an intelligent rating system coded into the game and the console it would be very possible to make sure this sort of sh1te doesnt happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

15 or so years ago when I was in primary school it was television that was blamed for everything and now that something else has come along it's easier to blame the unknown. The generation that are rating games are those that never had the joy of playing video games when growing up. I think it's just the case that they don't know, or want to know, anything about it as it doesn't appeal to them.

Add in the fact that a very small % can't detach themselves from being in-game and these are the people that get talked about. Whereas the rest of use who enjoy a few hours a day/week have to live with the cloud hanging over us.

I have to say that I disagree with you Offalycool. You seem to be focusing on a portion of gamers that do nothing else. Some people often play video games for hours or days on end - yes, that would be harmful...As would doing nothing but reading (that's a "one player game"), watching TV, or even playing music (know many failed bands?) or sports (injuries, lack of focus on things such as school, etc). Remember the people who watch Lord of the Rings back to back (how many hours is that?!) or people who watch the same film 27 times in the cinema. It's about balance...

Video games do not require commitment. They can be played in extremely short bursts or through marathon session. Play a song in rock band, a match in fifa, a checkpoint in other games. Doesn't take that long. Then if something is going on, as Blitzkreig said, you can pause or stop and walk away.

Games do actually have benefit (obviously if people participate correctly at times). Counter-Strike can teach the skills of communication, planning, teamwork and execution. It's closest comparison in real life would be quick Airsoft scenarios.
    Harry Potter actor Daniel Radcliffe suffers from dyspraxia, a disorder involving difficulty with planning a physical sequence of coordinated movements. Because of dyspraxia, he has terrible handwriting he said, because "I can never quite tell when the pen is going to land on the page." But Radcliffe has credited video games for helping him deal with these coordination problems better now,
    http://www.kombo.com/article.php?artid=12422

Microsoft have developed a system called Kodu which allows people to code simple game mechanics. It's cartoony nature would make it seem like it is targeted at kids but it is open to anyone, thus making coding at it's most basic seem simpler. When I was younger, and I'm sure they are still available, there were programs available to buy that you could drag and drop icons onto a 2D background. If something happened between the two it would ask you what should happen (e.g. ball has hit side of screen - ball disappears, point is given, life is lost, etc).

On a final note, music has been in the media attention too (mainly rock and metal) for violence, often in combination with video games. Interestingly Lady Gaga does not get attention for getting kids to sing along with lines such as "I wanna take a ride on your Disco stick" or songs about being drunk (Just Dance). I'm a big consumer of music but I'm not sure that it has a profound impact on my life...

🤪

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

As others have said, its seems to be people who really dont know what they are talking about, painting Games with the same brush that Music/Tv/Films have been painted with in the past. There may be a small (very small) minority of people who will be negativly influenced by a game, but they would be just as influenced by other forms of media.

Its not the games fault, its their personality.
    Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Counter-Strike can teach the skills of communication, planning, teamwork and execution.
    Not to mention tactical engagements strategies, small arms training, bomb diffusal, close combat training, and other useful info. What, you mean if i can hit someone in the head from 100 yards with the M4A1 in the game, that i wont be able to do it in real life? Surely though i can effectily fly a F22 Raptor in high speed dogfighting? No? But i thought i've been training for real life scenarios. I've wasted years of my life! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Kiith wrote: »
    What, you mean if i can hit someone in the head from 100 yards with the M4A1 in the game, that i wont be able to do it in real life?

Funny thing is the first rifle (and gun for that matter) that I ever fired was a .338 Winchester Magnum Hunting Rifle (just short of an elephant gun). We set up targets a few hundred metres away in a old quarry and with my first shot I hit the target dead centre.

The other guys there where expecting a miss, at which point they'd explain how to line up the sight, hold your breath while shooting... etc. But as far as I was concerned I had memory of shooting guns like it 100's of times before.

It was also obvious to spot the gamers and non-gamers when a bunch of us went paintballing. The guys who where used to the likes of Gears or CoD instantly started laying down covering fire when their team mates where moving, using blind fire, flanking, watching enemy movements, communicating with hand signals... etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I was watching a great show the other night on BBC3 that took a tongue in cheek look at gaming. One point they made that was in the 90's games became more marketed at kids and thus the stereotype that only kid's play games became common for most people. So whenever a violent game came out the people who believed the stereotype assumed that the game was made to be played by kids and there would be uproar.

They also pointed out on the show that the kids that the reporters interviewed in their reports about violent games did'nt help the situation either when they would say things like "I like playing fighting games coz it's fun when you can punch and kick the guy in the head".

I think it's going to become less of a problem because i'd say just as many adults if not more than kids are playing games these days and the old biddys who would complain will start dying out in the coming years leaving a generation of adults who have grown up playing games and know they are harmless.

As for Australia they seem to go OTT when it comes to censoring games.

ive started strafe jumping everywhere nowadays. im also taking middle lane today and am going for a tank build. i think i play too much.

anyway, heres that article. it was written back in 2005 and features comments from Jermaine Williams / Jazz who used to run Gamecon. not sure about the editing of it or anything

Unfair Games

An Insight into violence in computer games and the medias treatment of the subject.

Violence in computer games and its effects is nothing new to the world. Stories of children imitating these violent games and resulting in death have shocked the world. As recently as March 2005 we saw the shooting and subsequent death of two people by a minor in the United States being blamed on computer games. The game in question is part of the now infamous Grand Theft Auto series. The massacre that took place in Columbine High school, Colorado, was at first blamed on violent computer games. The more recent shootings has caused Hilary Clinton, the woman many perceive to be the next Democratic Party candidate for the presidency, to comment that these games are a "major threat" to morality. She wants President George W. Bush and Congress to launch a $US90 million investigation of the impact of electronic media on children's "cognitive, social, emotional and physical development".

The question is, is all this necessary? The fact is that these violent games do carry an 18’s certificate. Computer game retailers cannot sell these games to minors. It is much the same way in which a cinema will not allow people below the age rating to see an 18’s film. Films such as Reservoir Dogs and The Grudge aren’t brought into question when there are these tragedies of child shootings but games are. Is this fair?

In an interview with Jermaine Williams, who is the main organizer of Ireland’s biggest gaming event, Gamecon and a leading figure in Ireland’s gaming scene, he brings the point that the media still believes that these games are aimed purely at children. The evidence to support this is quite clear as the media as a whole has failed to take gaming seriously, especially here in Ireland. Our biggest selling magazine, the RTE Guide, ran a feature supplement at Christmas time reviewing and discussing games. It was a most irresponsible supplement aimed directly at children and full of half attempted reviews with extremely poor criticism. Of course this article was aimed squarely at children. The media outlet, in this case RTE, failed to realize that per capita Ireland is the most successful country in Europe for console manufacturers and games companies and that the average age of gamers in this country is in the fifteen to twenty-one year old bracket. This is a pattern followed by most media outlets. Thinking still that computer games are only being played by children and by anorak wearing teenagers with no social life. How are we to expect fair and just reporting by the mass media on computer game violence?

The attention given to computer games and its subsequent demonizing as an art form is worrying. Jermaine Williams describes “A complete lack of understanding of the medium by the media”. The fact is that the only time the media takes notice of computer games is in a reactionary fashion due to an injury, death or massacre. Jermaine goes on to say how the media has failed to notice that the main market for console games is the late teen, early twenties age group. If you look at the marketing strategy of both Microsoft and Sony for their upcoming new consoles, the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 respectively, it is aimed primarily at this age bracket. People who are eighteen and above can drink alcohol, drive cars and watch violent films, so why shouldn’t they be given the choice to play games of an adult nature and be treated as normal?

Parents of minors seem far more quick to blame the companies that produce these games instead of taking responsibility themselves over what their children are exposed to. Would a responsible parent let their twelve year old watch a film like Pulp Fiction or drink alcohol? We shouldn’t think so. Yet they seem to consider it okay to buy a computer game that is clearly labeled 18’s, let their child play it and then become shocked when they find out the content of the game. Parents need to become aware of the content of some games and what their child is being exposed to. Jermaine Williams says of this, “Games should be treated by parents in the same way as they would treat a film”. At the Gamecon event Jermaine runs he warns parents of minors that games of adult content will be played at the event and if the parents do not want their child to be exposed to this, don’t let them go. He makes all available efforts to make fully aware to parents and indeed the regular attendees of the content at the event.

Ultimately the question remains, is the parents lack of awareness and reactionary views the fault of the media? From the evidence we should believe it is. The media is only now beginning to realize how big a market computer games have become. The market is now a bigger profit maker then the movie industry. Half of Sony’s profits come from its Playstation brand and Sony is amongst the top ten largest companies in the world. Jermaine believes that some sort of campaign mounted by games companies promoting awareness to adults and parents would be a viable move. As is parents can only consult the horror stories they hear in the media, so a move to this campaign by the companies can only help their image in front of a slowly converting mass media. Ultimately, the media needs to pay attention and take gaming seriously. A failure to understand how big the industry is becoming could lead to a further poor understanding of the games industry and lack of awareness.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think it is a mix of an alarmist media and the general uncomfortable 'newness' of gaming to the general public. The problem is that a lot of the time the only mainstream media coverage games get is when a new ultra violent game appears (and there are a lot of them, gaming being a relatively immature pursuit on occasion). This is obviously going to give games a bad reputation amongst non-gamers - pretty much anything they ever hear about games is bad.

And naturally they never hear about the finest examples of gaming art. Your typical non-gamer will stare blankly if you toss names such as ICO, Braid or countless others into the argument. It is a little like the way plenty of people bemoan the dull Hollywood drek that populates multiplexes. Suggest they visit the local arthouse cinema and odds are many won't know it even it exists. These things simply do not get advertised or mentioned in the general, non-specialised media, so how are people meant to find out about them unless they seek it out themselves?

Interestingly, two examples in the last week show that the pattern might be changing. One was Charlie Brooker's Gameswipe on BBC4, which was a more balanced look at the history of gaming (even if it did focus on violence for a lot of the running time!). Also over in America the glorious Tim Schafer appeared sans Jack Black on Jimmy Fallon. Interesting to note what Fallon says about treating game launches like film launches. It sets a promising precedent, and hopefully as a younger generation emerges as the dominant television personalities, games will be better integrated into the media, where passion for the medium will replace ill-judged backlashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Interestingly, two examples in the last week show that the pattern might be changing.

I think the reason for this is the same as the reason why TV is accepted now. It would seem odd to go into someones house and for them not to have a TV, and I'm sure our children will grow up in a world where it is odd to walk into a house and not have a gaming device.

What we are starting to see happen now is that the people that are getting into a position to affect public opinion are people who grew up around games so they naturally have a greater understanding of them. They understand that "videogames" is not just 1 genre, and that there are ones for kids and ones for adults.

Oddly I see the same stereotype, in the West, regarding Anime. Some of that stuff should NOT be viewed by children (not even the H stuff, I'm talking about the graphically violent stuff) I know a kid stateside who must be about 13 and was talking to me about Elfin Lied in front of his mother, she knew about it and said something like "Oh, that cartoon, I'm sure you don't watch that" ... I was gobsmacked, clearly she had seen a calm scene from the Anime that her son was watching, but the majority of it is for adults.

...and this is, imo, the main problem with both these mediums, the ignorance of the parents. Video games and Anime are no different to Music and TV, it is up to the parents to educate themselves about these new forms of media so that they can form reasoned opinions on which ones they should allow and avoid giving to their children. What we see happening at the moment is that a lot of parents are either too nonchalant or blindly ignorant of these mediums. They either blanket ban everything from Manhunt to Mario or give their children Carte Blanche to decide for themselves what they will play and watch.

• Advertisement

Interestingly, two examples in the last week show that the pattern might be changing. One was Charlie Brooker's Gameswipe on BBC4, which was a more balanced look at the history of gaming (even if it did focus on violence for a lot of the running time!). Also over in America the glorious Tim Schafer appeared sans Jack Black on Jimmy Fallon. Interesting to note what Fallon says about treating game launches like film launches. It sets a promising precedent, and hopefully as a younger generation emerges as the dominant television personalities, games will be better integrated into the media, where passion for the medium will replace ill-judged backlashes.

Thats the show i was on about in my earlier post.;) I could'nt remember the name of it.

The thing is the over-sensationalism of the media probably only makes matters worse in terms of kids wanting to buy adult games. Manhunt for example was considered a mediocore game by many and probably would'nt have sold that well if it were'nt for the media reporting on how violent it was.

Though i think the laziness and stupidity of a lot of parents are to blame when a child gets their hands on an adult game.

So basically the parents and media who demonize games are probably deserve most of the blame for kids playing adult games.

Not to mention tactical engagements strategies, small arms training, bomb diffusal, close combat training, and other useful info. What, you mean if i can hit someone in the head from 100 yards with the M4A1 in the game, that i wont be able to do it in real life? Surely though i can effectily fly a F22 Raptor in high speed dogfighting? No? But i thought i've been training for real life scenarios. I've wasted years of my life! :pac:

Care to explain where I said that? Teamwork - check - you work in a 5v5 setting as a team. Communication - check - teams use Vent and headsets (or in other settings, simply talk / scream at each other). Strategies - check - at high level play, CS is all about tactics and knowing the hotspots of a map.

These are practical skills that you can practice and learn from playing a game. I would not advise trying to rocket jump, wallbash (as one Nascar driver tried) or many other things that you see in game - bad for your health ;)

🤪

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Funny thing is the first rifle (and gun for that matter) that I ever fired was a .338 Winchester Magnum Hunting Rifle (just short of an elephant gun). We set up targets a few hundred metres away in a old quarry and with my first shot I hit the target dead centre.
    I had a similar experience, when i went clay pigeon shooting on a team building day in work a few years back. Managed to hit 11 out of 12 targets, having never fired a gun before. I suppose i did understand the theory of how to fire the gun before i actually fired it. Dont know if that was from games or films or wherever, but it was pretty easy.
    Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Care to explain where I said that?
    I wasnt actually having a go at what you were saying. I agree with most of what you said, i just wish the media was right and that games could train me in the things that i said. I think i'd make an excellent F22 Raptor pilot :p

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Lame Lantern

Theatre was seen as inferior until the nineteenth century, prose was seen as inferior until the early twentieth century, cinema was seen as inferior until the 1970s. These declarations are never correct and they never last. Just wait until our generation become the unintelligent, belligerent critics in newspapers telling people what to think. Then we're golden.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

It was also obvious to spot the gamers and non-gamers when a bunch of us went paintballing. The guys who where used to the likes of Gears or CoD instantly started laying down covering fire when their team mates where moving, using blind fire, flanking, watching enemy movements, communicating with hand signals... etc.

This is both hilarious and awesome. I really hope you're not exaggerating.

even the novel was considered trashy when it first appeared

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    The same creative skills used in animation and filmmaking are used in the development of video games. Are you saying you dont see much creativity in the development of major motion pictures. And I'm not just talking about visual effects. Alot of the creative skills found in filmmaking resurface in game design. Equally game design shares an equal amount of core skills with the countless other programming based industries.

To be honest, I don't see mush creativity in modern cinema. More visual effect, yes, but this seems to me to be more refined versions of the same stuff we have had before. I believe big media companies are not inclined to take risks, and Joe Public kinda likes it that way.
    thats debatable. Its easy access for someone to learn to play the piano or harmonica or guitar and play basic melody. Just as it is easy access for someone to gain access to XNA or flash and build basic game designs.

Perhaps. Regardless of the accessibility of the different media, There is more scope for variety in music than video games. There are a wide range of instruments, there are a few software development packages. You can use a variety of organs and limbs to produce music, video games hare limited technical user interfaces. The music can fill an entire room full of people, the game fills a screen in the corner.
    Where it becomes more complicated is how far they want to take the skills. A musician might need to learn multiple instruments, learn to read and write music, use music editing software and the intricite details of their instruments to get the most out of them. That all requires time and as it becomes more complicated it becomes less accessable.

True. As excellence goes, to create anything worthwhile require commitment. More people seem to create music than video games though. Perhaps this is proportionate to the volume of music lovers vs video game lovers.
    You are placing basic instrument knowledge on the same pedestal as say the development of grand theft auto. They are not. A more sensible comparison would be the selection of flash games online, or xna community games distributed on xbox live. Simple grasp of the basics.

Perhaps I am, but I am more interested in addressing my argument about commitment.
    Books and television? tv shows span a series of 26, 40 minute peisodes per season, the average successfull series would run for seven seasosns. Thats roughly 121 hours commitment to one full average tv series is five full days of commitment.

I think I made my views on T.V. addiction clear.
    A book is varied in length and can take one person a single evening to finish and another person could take a week. The difference between books and televsion and music and film, is their commitment thresehold.

Yes, from a commitment point of view both media require plenty.
    Video games falls much closer to the commitment thresehold of books and television, it is the consumer's choice how much they take in at a time, game development is designed around the idea that a player wont complete it in one session and genres have grown around the notion of how much commitment players are willing to give.

Reading books can be a waste of time. However, reading good books is a very worthwhile pastime, and contributes enormously to personal development. Granted, reading too much is bad, but that's the fine line.
    Music and Film are designed in their very presentation to be taken as a whole in one sitting. The rise of technology to pause and rewind has done more to damage these creative forces then to benefit them. THe existence of cinema's persist because they are the ideal enviroment for the design of film, control is out of the consumer's hands and its a single focused event over a 2 hour period.

Yes. Everyone has to relax, and media of all types can be good in this respects. But last time I played a game I could load and save, and I could pause also.
    When it comes to commitment as a comsumer its apples and oranges between music and video games.

I can load up sonic the hedgehog, play one level lasting 6 minutes, then turn off the game with intent to return later to play the next level. In those 6 minutes I would have gotten a full rounded satisfying experiance as a consumer, but I didnt taste the full experiance.

With music if I played only half of a track of queen's bohemian rhapsody, then paused it with intent to return later, I wouldnt be as satisfied, the experiance which was designed to be as a whole was broken up.

Video games are designed to be long and attention seeking. You say yourself: to not finish a good game is unsatisfactory. By playing the game, this media has ensnared you in a commitment to get "value for money". The game itself may be some what entertaining, but fundamental, you have probably played a very similar game before. It may have nicer graphics, or unique features (that may slightly change the game dynamics), but ultimately, 15 to 30 hours later its over, and nothing has been gained for that time. If one has invested in expensive hardware in order to play the game, our "value for money" instinct persuades us to seek out more entertaining experiences, with even shinier graphics and slightly different mechanics. 15 to 30 hours later we have been left looking for more minute changes to demonstrate that we have indeed received value for money. If I spend so much time interacting with a machine, I may begin to forget how to socialise in a healthy fashion. I may eventually withdraw from social events to a more comfortable environment, where I feel I am in control. I may convince myself that I interact with people socially over the internet, but I have lost much of my ability to communicate in this realm. Body language is irrelevant to the point where an interpretation of what's posted can hinge on a smiley or grin icon.

All this time adds up, and what have we learned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

and what have we learned?

That the small % of people that do this are giving the rest of us a bad name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

The other guys there where expecting a miss, at which point they'd explain how to line up the sight, hold your breath while shooting... etc. But as far as I was concerned I had memory of shooting guns like it 100's of times before.
    I had a similar experience, when i went clay pigeon shooting on a team building day in work a few years back. Managed to hit 11 out of 12 targets, having never fired a gun before. I suppose i did understand the theory of how to fire the gun before i actually fired it. Dont know if that was from games or films or wherever, but it was pretty easy.

Lads as someone who does a lot of shooting and playing computer games I genuinely doubt that it was the games.

What do they teach you after all? When the gun is on target or you have a proper sight picture to pull the trigger, that's about as far as it goes really and that's 100% good old fashioned common sense. It teaches you nothing of the physical aspects of shooting.

Sounds more like you both have natural talent for it.

Did games teach you trigger control? How to manage recoil, check eye dominance, how to mount a gun correctly, correct standing, kneeling or prone positions, how much lead to give a clay, the bullet drop on the rifle at the distance you were shooting.

Fundamentally shooting is very simple, point the long metal thing in the right direction and pull the trigger at the correct time. Nothing in a video game exercises the physical components of your body needed for successful shooting though.

Would playing Fight Night make you good at boxing?

I'd put your success down to the following, natural talent (you must have decent hand eye co-ordination anyway if you are decent at games) and instruction on the day.

Advertisement