Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs. Italy - 10/10/09 **KO 8:00 PM** [mod warning post #160]

• 07-10-2009 12:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭

FAIreland_logo.png

vs.

iff.png

*Live from Croke Park on RTE2/Sky Sports.KO 8.00PM*

Teams (
    As announced Sep 25th) :

Republic of Ireland:

Goalkeepers

Shay Given (Manchester City),
    Keiren Westwood (Coventry City),
    Joe Murphy, (Scunthorpe United)

Defenders

John O'Shea (Manchester United),
    Kevin Foley (Wolves),
    Richard Dunne (Aston Villa),
    Stephen Kelly (Fulham),
    Kevin Kilbane (Hull City),
    Eddie Nolan (Preston North End),
    Sean St. Ledger (Middlesbrough),
    Paul McShane (Hull City),
    Darren O’Dea (Reading)

Midfielders

Aiden McGeady (Celtic),
    Damien Duff (Fulham),
    Darron Gibson (Manchester United),
    Glenn Whelan (Stoke City),
    Keith Andrews (Blackburn Rovers),
    Liam Miller (Hibernian),
    Stephen Hunt (Hull City),
    Andy Keogh (Wolves),
    Steven Reid (Blackburn Rovers),
    Liam Lawrence (Stoke City)

Forwards

Caleb Folan (Middlesbrough),
    Kevin Doyle (Wolves),
    Robbie Keane (Tottenham Hotspur),
    Shane Long, (Reading)

Leon Best (Coventry City)

Italy:

Goalkeepers:

Buffon (Juventus),
    De Sanctis (Napoli),
    Marchetti (Cagliari).

Defenders:

Bocchetti (Genoa),
    Cannavaro (Juventus),
    Chiellini (Juventus),
    Gamberini (Fiorentina),
    Grosso (Juventus),
    Legrottaglie (Juventus),
    Santon (Inter),
    Zambrotta (Milan).

Midfielders:

Camoranesi (Juventus),
    D'Agostino (Udinese),
    De Rossi (Roma),
    Gattuso (Milan),
    Marchisio (Juventus),
    Palombo (Sampdoria),
    Pepe (Udinese),
    Pirlo (Milan).

Forwards:

Di Natale (Udinese),
    Gilardino (Fiorentina),
    Iaquinta (Juventus),
    Quagliarella (Napoli),
    Rossi (Villarreal).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

6-0 ireland.

obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

I am going I am going!!! :)

Come on Italy!!! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I honestly believe we will win this game.
    It won't be the prettiest but I think we'll do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I reckon it will be a draw. A result which suits both teams.

Also worth keeping an eye on Cyprus vs Bulgaria which takes place before our match. Bulgaria need to win or they'll hand us second place and both Italy and ourselves found that a very tricky place to go to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'm thinking a 1-1 draw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

One Nil Jason McAteer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'll be at the match. Optimistic. I reckon we'll scrape a one nil win without reallybeing in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Only one man for the job, bring back Ray Houghton and see what he can do ;)

Is the Duffer gonna be fit for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Di Natale appears to be on fire for Udinese. Is he likely to start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I can't see anything other than an Italy win, 0-2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

3-0 to Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

I just have a feeling we won't lose, it'll probably be 0-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd be happy with a draw. To be honest, I think its very unlikely we'll get anything but playoffs at this stage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I reckon it's going to be absolutely awful match and we will get a draw. Looking forward to it anyway, and I'll be there as always :)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭thecross1

second place is now seeded 4 the play off s thats a joke if u ask me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Trapattoni and Lippi will have come to a gentleman's agreement.

A draw suits both, a draw it will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm going to this and on Wednesday too. Hopefully a good atmo at both.

I'll plump for 1-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I just hope that we don't show Italy too much respect. The likes of Pirlo, Gatusso and Zambrotta have been completely muck this season.

Draw written all over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I reckon it's going to be absolutely awful match and we will get a draw. Looking forward to it anyway, and I'll be there as always :)
    Yeah same here. ;)

Was at the away match (which we could've won in the end) at that ended in a draw and tbh, I can't this match ending in a different result.

Two Italian managers playing against each other where a draw suits both sides. Actually, scrap the draw, 8-5 to Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Dont have a good feeling about this one, think 1-0 to Italy. Hope im wrong tho..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

Well I don't think that Ireland have enough about them to get a win, I'd love to see it happen of course but we've got be realistic here. I think a draw will be the most likely outcome at this stage, maybe 0-0 or 1-1 with Ireland scoring first and Italy equalising a few minutes later ala the game against the Czech Republic back in 2006 I think it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I want them talians beaten so they HAVE to beat Cyprus.

I want a last group game 'Italy must better Ireland's result to finish top' type scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

I predict Ireland will win 1-0 with Martin Rowlands scoring the winner in the 88th minute...he will get on the end of a Liam Miller cross and smash the ball past a helpless Buffon!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

SWAR wrote: »
    I predict Ireland will win 1-0 with Martin Rowlands scoring the winner in the 88th minute...he will get on the end of a Liam Miller cross and smash the ball past a helpless Buffon!!!!!!!

I reckon...it'll end 1-1 but a last minute peno decision will involve a decision from Andy Reid up in the stands who will give the ref a 'thumbs up' which awards us the spot-kick and allows us a last minute win.

Italy go on to tonk Cyprus tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Looks like a draw alright. Possible we might sneak it but I would not be convinced without Steve Reid and Caleb Folan.

I think Italy will be cagey but might go for it in the first 15-20 and if they dont score then will be happy to sit back.

If they were to score first I reckon we would equalise and then possibly win (ala Bari) but there are a lot of ifs there!

Gun to my head I would guess a 1-1

kenco wrote: »
    Looks like a draw alright. Possible we might sneak it but I would not be convinced without Steve Reid and Caleb Folan.
    Why would you be putting your hopes in Stephen Reid?
    He's only played two matches for us in this campaign and one of those was in a 0-0 against Montenegro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

Can't wait to be there tbh, really looking forward to it. My heart tells me we'll snatch it but my head tells me, unless a lot of things go our way, the Italians will turn it on under pressure and win 2-0.

Isn't this the same referee that presided over the infamous Chelsea/Barca match last season?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Italy 1-0

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Ireland 1 Italy 3. We have'nt any quality and they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Ireland 1 Italy 3. We have'nt any quality and they have.

who do italy have thats quality?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Headshot wrote: »

The (second?) best keeper in the world, one of the best young defenders in the world (Santon), one of the best centre backs (Chiellini) and one of the best defensive midfielders in the world in De Rossi. Had Cassano and Pazzini been called up they'd have had a ready made strike partnership as well.

Squad certainly isn't as good as normal though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Headshot wrote: »

You're joking right?

Goalkeepers:

Buffon (Juventus),

Defenders:

Cannavaro (Juventus),
    Chiellini (Juventus),
    Grosso (Juventus),
    Santon (Inter),

Midfielders:

D'Agostino (Udinese),
    De Rossi (Roma),
    Gattuso (Milan),
    Pirlo (Milan).

Forwards:

Iaquinta (Juventus),
    Rossi (Villarreal).

at a minimum are better than what we have. You could make a case for most of the rest of their squad too even with the absentees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Iago wrote: »
    You're joking right?

Goalkeepers:

Buffon (Juventus),

Defenders:

Cannavaro (Juventus),
    Chiellini (Juventus),
    Grosso (Juventus),
    Santon (Inter),

Midfielders:

D'Agostino (Udinese),
    De Rossi (Roma),
    Gattuso (Milan),
    Pirlo (Milan).

Forwards:

Iaquinta (Juventus),
    Rossi (Villarreal).

at a minimum are better than what we have. You could make a case for most of the rest of their squad too even with the absentees.
    some of them well past their sell by date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭niallk

Why can't Ireland at 3 o'clock on a saturday like a normal country?:mad:
    So inconvenient for match-goers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Why would you be putting your hopes in Stephen Reid?
    He's only played two matches for us in this campaign and one of those was in a 0-0 against Montenegro.

The ability to hold onto the ball and play a sensible pass, link defence to attack. All the things - with all due respect - that Whelan and Andrews cant do. We got away with it against Cyprus but against Italy an ineffective centre midfield will be exposed and Dunne, etc are in for a very busy night

Iago wrote: »
    You're joking right?

Goalkeepers:

Buffon (Juventus),

Defenders:

Cannavaro (Juventus),
    Chiellini (Juventus),
    Grosso (Juventus),
    Santon (Inter),

Midfielders:

D'Agostino (Udinese),
    De Rossi (Roma),
    Gattuso (Milan),
    Pirlo (Milan).

Forwards:

Iaquinta (Juventus),
    Rossi (Villarreal).

I'd say Di Natale will be starting ahead of Rossi, he's on fire for Udinese.

Do you all think Bulgaria fudging up in Cyprus would make the Irish team throw caution to the wind and just go for it? Though a draw looks to be more or less on the table, an Irish win however unlikely would be good because it would push the group right to the last game for automatic Italian qualification prospects, never a bad thing from an Irish perspective.

Anyway, here's hoping we don't get BEATEN as it would tarnish our lossless record so far, something none of the other second placed teams have managed to do and may prove a nice little phychological nugget stowed away in the back of the oppositions minds should we make it to the playoffs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

niallk wrote: »

whats inconvenient about 8 on a saturday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

briany wrote: »
    Do you all think Bulgaria fudging up in Cyprus would make the Irish team throw caution to the wind and just go for it? Though a draw looks to be more or less on the table, an Irish win however unlikely would be good because it would push the group right to the last game for automatic Italian qualification prospects, never a bad thing from an Irish perspective.

I think it's very possible Bulgaria will screw up in Cyprus but I think it would just make the Ireland/Italy game even more of a damp squib. The media are talking about it being a "crucial, must win" game but in all honesty that best describes the Montenegro game.

I think the chances of Italy losing at home to Cyprus are slim to nil. Cyprus are a bit like Stoke. They're tricky customers on their own patch but away from home they're quite beatable. Italy losing to Cyprus would be like Man United losing at Old Trafford to Stoke and not many would bet on that.

I think we should forget automatic qualification and just make sure we get the play-off spot in the bag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

8pm on a saturday is perfect if you ask me, way better than 3. plenty of time to get into town and get some beers in, and head out afterwards

I think it's very possible Bulgaria will screw up in Cyprus but I think it would just make the Ireland/Italy game even more of a damp squib. The media are talking about it being a "crucial, must win" game but in all honesty that best describes the Montenegro game.

I think the chances of Italy losing at home to Cyprus are slim to nil. Cyprus are a bit like Stoke. They're tricky customers on their own patch but away from home they're quite beatable. Italy losing to Cyprus would be like Man United losing at Old Trafford to Stoke and not many would bet on that.

I think we should forget automatic qualification and just make sure we get the play-off spot in the bag.

Italy are 4 points ahead of Ireland with eight games played each, so in the unlikely event of an Irish win on Sat, Cyprus would only have to hold out for a nil-nil on Wed for Ireland to go top, given an Irish win over Montenegro. HIGHLY unlikely but, where there's a chance there is hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Italy are 4 points ahead of Ireland with eight games played each, so in the unlikely event of an Irish win on Sat, Cyprus would only have to hold out for a nil-nil on Wed for Ireland to go top, given an Irish win over Montenegro. HIGHLY unlikely but, where there's a chance there is hope.

Cyprus will probably be drawing against Italy, but we'll end up drawing 0-0 with Montenegro:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

So inconvenient for me.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

I'd reckon 8pm suits people more. Lots of people have to work on Saturdays so a 3pm would be pretty bad as 1st we couldn't go, and worst of all not even get to see it!

So 8pm seems grand...could be worse, you could be in Italy where it'll be a 9pm start for them!!

Stevecw wrote: »
    I'd reckon 8pm suits people more. Lots of people have to work on Saturdays so a 3pm would be pretty bad as 1st we couldn't go, and worst of all not even get to see it!

So 8pm seems grand...could be worse, you could be in Italy where it'll be a 9pm start for them!!

I have this weird recollection of watching WC or Euro qualifying matches in school on a TV that they would wheel in so it would appear that games did kick off much earlier back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

I have this weird recollection of watching WC or Euro qualifying matches in school on a TV that they would wheel in so it would appear that games did kick off much earlier back in the day.

I do to. The Spain match in the USA 94 qualifiers in Lansdowne. I specifically remember. When did they get floodlights at that ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Oh yeah of course they used to! It was always 3pm Wednesday kick offs back then...but i used to just get half-day off school and not care.
    But thinking about it, must have hit companies hard losing any proper football fan for a Wed afternoon at least 4 times a year!!

Lights were there for that England game in early 95...but i was at all WC 94 qualifiers and they were all day games. So lights must have appeared there sometime in 1994.

Stevecw wrote: »

What about people who don't drink, kids and people who can't drink because of the presence of their teatotalling father who buys tickets for all the home games and thus they have to go when they'd rather be getting off their face and playing poker in a gaffe somewhere? (I'll leave it up to you to decipher which I am).
    Huh? What about them?

Seriously though, I think we're living up to the stereotype of being alcos by constantly having our matches on late to suit pubs and drinkers when most other countries have them early. TBH I'd rather just get the match out of the way and then get locked for the rest of the 2 days.

kenco wrote: »
    The ability to hold onto the ball and play a sensible pass, link defence to attack. All the things - with all due respect - that Whelan and Andrews cant do. We got away with it against Cyprus but against Italy an ineffective centre midfield will be exposed and Dunne, etc are in for a very busy night
    But as I've already pointed out he didn't help that much against Montenegro. We've already as good as guaranteed a playoff spot with the midfield we have so to pin our hopes on a player that has barely played for us this campaign just seems strange. And as for Folan, with Doyle & Keane being fit it's not that much of an issue, although he did do well when he came on in Bari.

What about people who don't drink, kids and people who can't drink because of the presence of their teatotalling father who buys tickets for all the home games and thus they have to go when they'd rather be getting off their face and playing poker in a gaffe somewhere? (I'll leave it up to you to decipher which I am).
    Huh? What about them?

Seriously though, I think we're living up to the stereotype of being alcos by constantly having our matches on late to suit pubs and drinkers when most other countries have them early. TBH I'd rather just get the match out of the way and then get locked for the rest of the 2 days.
    I think the late kick offs are great. It means you can get stuff done during the day and then go to the match.

And AFAIK it was during the last campaign (Euro 2008) that the late kick-offs on a Saturday where first introduced and it was at the request of the German FA. So it's hardly a case of the drunk Irish having a late kick off so that they can get smashed beforehand. Although having said that, the late kickoffs certainly help with the atmosphere. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement