Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs. Italy - 10/10/09 **KO 8:00 PM** [mod warning post #160]

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

A decent enough game. Ireland did pretty well. It hurts me that we couldn't keep the win in the last few mins, thats what the biggest let down for me is. Alas, to the play offs we go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Slightly more confident about getting there now, bring on the playoffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If we defend like that in the playoffs we won't be going to any World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

What are the odds of Ireland within seconds giving away such a soft goal to the Italians? I don't know maybe my emotions are getting the better of me but f*ck that anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Jaysus, Dunphy is some clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

dunphy is a gob****e... terrible performance he reckons????

wtf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Here we go with Dunphy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

8 years and counting since we beat an international side of any note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Disappointing because we scored so late and couldnt manage to hold onto the lead.

But we got two draws out of the world champions and we're in the play-offs so I'm happy.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Dunphy is totally right!

Ireland were cack!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Shut the **** up Dunphy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Sure even if we won, italy woulda still been top after wednesday! They'll never lose to cyprus!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Dunphy on form :D Come on Eamo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

As the panel said two goals from set pieces. Time to put our foot down and get Andy Reid back in this team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Xavi6 wrote: »
    If we defend like that in the playoffs we won't be going to any World Cup.

We will if we score like a million goals!

C'mon lads. Had we been offered the play offs with this squad at the start of the tournament we'd take it. Plus it means we'll get a better group for the Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Before the game I'd have taken a point, after watching the game I'm gutted that we didn't win.

In saying that though, this is a decentish Italian team.

Any hope of us getting a favourable draw in the play-offs?

I think that Ukraine should be seeded, I'd take them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

As the panel said two goals from set pieces. Time to put our foot down and get Andy Reid back in this team.
    +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Hardly the worst Italian team ever. What a load of ****e. Dunphy being super-negative again.

Well at least we'll have Stephen Reid and Damien Duff back for the playoffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

We should of won tbh.
    Before the game i would of taken a draw but we should of won in the end, terrible defending for the second.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Lukewarm at best

You should NEVER give away a lead gained in the 87th min but you could see it coming a mile off.....We dont have the killer instinct to put teams away and keep them away.

Great goal by Whelan (look on Buffons face priceless). Good from OShea (apart from the goal). I like Lawrance a lot and think he should start with Duff on the other wing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Bla Bla Bla Andy Reid Bla Bla Bla

Jaysus if you were beamed down from space you would think that Andy Reid was Messi and Ronaldo mixed into one. Instead of an average premiersship footballer that was about a stone and a half overweight until this season.

**** off Dunphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

This is why I love RTE, Come on Eamo :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Dunphy has the bit between his teeth tonight :D

His lover Souness is trying to calm him down :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

i for one like what dunphy is saying, hes speaking what the public is thinking

• Advertisement

Fair play to Liam Lawrence tonight. His deliveries from set pieces were quality, and did well to track back with Grosso 90% of the time. Delighted for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

People are afraid of the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

It's always in the last 2 or 3 minutes of important matches that Ireland concede a goal , have lost Count and you sort of expected the Italians to score . Wouldn't it have boosted the confidence of the team no end if they had got a historic victory ? But they are in the play offs . Game still on ,dream still alive

Archimedes wrote: »
    Fair play to Liam Lawrence tonight. His deliveries from set pieces were quality, and did well to track back with Grosso 90% of the time. Delighted for him.

Indeed. He was my MOM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

ShooterSF wrote: »
    We will if we score like a million goals!

C'mon lads. Had we been offered the play offs with this squad at the start of the tournament we'd take it. Plus it means we'll get a better group for the Euros.

Taking the play offs is a fair point but looking at how the games panned out we should have won this group but the mindset wasn't there which cost us points in all of the 5 drawn games.Our mindset is from an Italian whose approach on football is not to lose 1st.A playoff which our current set up will see us go out in probability isn't a success considering how this group panned out.We should have eased this group considering how poor Italy have been.This without mentioning Andy Reid/Stephen Ireland.

• Advertisement

Giles is speaking alot of sense. As if we would lose something by taking out Andrews.

Ruu wrote: »
    Come on!

what's the score?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

I totally hear what Dunphy's saying about Reid but it's a fact he never gave him nearly as much credit when he was in the team

Hardly the worst Italian team ever. What a load of ****e. Dunphy being super-negative again.
    That Italian team did nothing in European Championships. And likewise in Confederations cup.
    We would be in South Africa now if Andy Reid was in our team. As Dunphy says he ran the show at Old Trafford. That midfield is honest. But honest teams is no guarantee for success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I think that Eamon Dunphy is an i***t. Period.

Also, what's with 'should of won'? Neither does it make sense nor does it sound cool or anything. It's 'should have won'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭git_ireland

Lads, the defending for Italys second goal was feckin shocking.
    But do you in all honesty believe Ireland should have won that match tonight.
    Personally I dont, Italy didnt play their game. Personally I think they played for a draw after their equaliser. Dont mind Dunphy saying were awful, we werent awful, we played to our ability and came nowhere near to Italys ability. Fair enough our set pieces were top draw but I feel Italy could have steped it up if they were under pressure and they did for their second goal.

Had someone offered a draw this morning I would have bit their hand off, so I for one am happy in the knowledge that we have secured our play off place with the one point. Roll on Russia :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

d22ontour wrote: »
    Taking the play offs is a fair point but looking at how the games panned out we should have won this group but the mindset wasn't there which cost us points in all of the 5 drawn games.Our mindset is from an Italian whose approach on football is not to lose 1st.A playoff which our current set up will see us go out in probability isn't a success considering how this group panned out.We should have eased this group considering how poor Italy have been.This without mentioning Andy Reid/Stephen Ireland.

Away goals and we sorted.

Though we played tonight, seems a lot of people forgot italy and world champions for a reason. they still missing a player or 2 but would expect them in the semis next year. When needed they turned it on.

We will be playing france in the playoffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

While I am not blaming him at all, I think the difference between a draw and a win tonight was Shay 'superhuman' Given not turning up tonight - he looked really shorn of confidence all night..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

SK1979 wrote: »

I think that Ukraine should be seeded, I'd take them.

Think they will be in pot with us, loks like russia,france, greece and portugal will be the seeded teams. Hopefuly we get Greece

Considering we've actually only beaten Georgia and Montenegro in this campaign we're lucky that the rest of the group is so shite allowing us a playoff place.

• Advertisement

Again Italy a totally different team from side that won World Cup. Brazil destroyed them in confederations cup. Very short on pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

That Italian team did nothing in European Championships. And likewise in Confederations cup.
    We would be in South Africa now if Andy Reid was in our team. As Dunphy says he ran the show at Old Trafford. That midfield is honest. But honest teams is no guarantee for success.

WAR the Italiens were beaten by the winners in the last Euros and that win was regarded by most as the biggest victory in recent Spanish history. I dont think that team tonight were world beaters but they are bloody good and to come back from a 2-1 with 3 mins to go is a reflection of what they are - World Champs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

to make use of Reid without sacrificing defence we'd have to play 4-5-1 but we don't have the forwards for that. Trapp likes 4-4-2 anyway so it's moot.

as for the match: it's always irritating to throw away a game like that, but feck it, we have a playoff place secured for the first time since 2002. I'm happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

If only we sat back after we took the lead.

I honestly NEVER thought I'd say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Considering we've actually only beaten Georgia and Montenegro in this campaign we're lucky that the rest of the group is so shite allowing us a playoff place.

What was the score in cyprus? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

prendy wrote: »

well done lads now lets finish it wednesday.

There has rarely been a competetive game of less relevelance than Wendesday night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭git_ireland

Unearthly wrote: »
    If only we sat back after we took the lead.

I honestly NEVER thought I'd say that.

But if we had have sat back after the lead we would have been bombarded with all sorts of shots. Not sayin youd notice that we tried to push forward but the lads did what they were capable of doing.
    All this lark of Andy Reid - Stephen Ireland. Andy wants to play - Stephen dosent. Trap, I feel has made up his mind on Reid already, hopefully he sees some sense and calls him up now that whelan is banned on wednesday.
    What real alternative have we got for Whelan in the current squad?

See Trap even said " again, Andy Reid ". He needs to get over whatever it is causing him problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭hudsonriver

im disapointed lads..

... traps interpreter isnt the usual quality

soma wrote: »
    While I am not blaming him at all, I think the difference between a draw and a win tonight was Shay 'superhuman' Given not turning up tonight - he looked really shorn of confidence all night..?

What the hell.....

He had about 4 shots on him all night. Both goals were scored on the 6 yard box.

Do you remember the superb way he held onto Grosso's volley?

Seriously, if you are looking for attention and trying to break the mould with regards reasons for the result then you should look elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭McGrath5

im disapointed lads..

... traps interpreter isnt the usual quality

Agreed.

Advertisement