Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs. Italy - 10/10/09 **KO 8:00 PM** [mod warning post #160]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

wonder if traps riding her ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

There has rarely been a competetive game of less relevelance than Wendesday night!

Every little helps. If only for world ranking points....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

CHD wrote: »
    Slightly more confident about getting there now, bring on the playoffs

This is exactly it, all Irish fans can take hope now, regardless of what Dunphy says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

nuxxx wrote: »
    What a frightening nightmare I'm going to have tonight. Trap FLIPPED OUT when Andy Reid was mentioned there :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

ShooterSF wrote: »
    What was the score in cyprus? :p

My bad, it's only Georgia and Cyprus we've beaten. Still poor.

• Advertisement

What a frightening nightmare I'm going to have tonight. Trap FLIPPED OUT when Andy Reid was mentioned there :mad:

Yep, looks like andy reid will never play again under trap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Kind of like Goebbels in Inglourious Basterds, i wonder if trap has seen that movie :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

'Again ANDY REID! Tony!' Mamma Mia!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

If we won tonight, what would that have meant? It didn't send us through, just relied on wednesdays games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

d22ontour wrote: »
    Taking the play offs is a fair point but looking at how the games panned out we should have won this group but the mindset wasn't there which cost us points in all of the 5 drawn games.Our mindset is from an Italian whose approach on football is not to lose 1st.A playoff which our current set up will see us go out in probability isn't a success considering how this group panned out.We should have eased this group considering how poor Italy have been.This without mentioning Andy Reid/Stephen Ireland.

Looking back yes we could have won the group. But given the squad I think we achieved well. Andy Reid is a discussing point yes but would he have been in ahead of whelan tonight?
    As for S. Ireland, what can you do with a player who doesn't want to play for you? (Please let's not going down this corridor)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭git_ireland

Yep, looks like andy reid will never play again under trap

Bad form, he is not even willing to look at a more than viable option.
    Jesus at this stage most of the public know that he should be there!!!!:mad:

Sherifu wrote: »
    'Again ANDY REID! Tony!' Mamma Mia!

hahahaha :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

If he is, she better not accidentally call out Andy Reid's name.

When Trap doesn't like a player he doesn't like a player... Insert Andy Reid's name where appropriate in the subtitles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

noodler wrote: »
    What the hell.....

He had about 4 shots on him all night. Both goals were scored on the 6 yard box.

Do you remember the superb way he held onto Grosso's volley?

Seriously, if you are looking for attention and trying to break the mould with regards reasons for the result then you should look elsewhere.

What the hell, who are you, Given's mother..?

I'm a huge Shay Given fan but when is the last time you saw him (a) punch clean air for a cross well within his range (b) dive too early for a shot..? (the second goal).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

hahahaha :D
    Thats why we pay Tony the big bucks. To ask the tough questions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

No question.

IN4102886Giovanni_Tr_26408t.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

MEHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

I love the way Trapattoni speaks in interviews. Firstly, his meandering broken english that confounds journalist and the way he breathes through his nose audiably like hes talking while savouring some good wine and pasta lol.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Latchy wrote: »
    It's always in the last 2 or 3 minutes of important matches that Ireland concede a goal , have lost Count and you sort of expected the Italians to score . Wouldn't it have boosted the confidence of the team no end if they had got a historic victory ? But they are in the play offs . Game still on ,dream still alive

It is 10 years ago this weekend since the mighty Gordon Stavrevski scored knocking Ireland out in the 91st minute of automatic qualification for Euro2000..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

I still believe, if Gerrard or Kaka were Irish, arguably the 2 current best attacking central midfielders in the world, Trap would pick Andrews and Whelan ahead of them because of their 'holding' abilities.

The media, Dunphy and the Irish fans have the right to question Trap to his face why he isn't getting into the squad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Jaysus, John O'Shea is fierce upset. This interview is like a 'dont jump' intervention!

soma wrote: »
    What the hell, who are you, Given's mother..?

I'm a huge Shay Given fan but when is the last time you saw him (a) punch clean air for a cross well within his range (b) dive too early for a shot..? (the second goal).

Right, the man who has done more than anyone, bar Dunne, to get us where we are.

Blaming him for the 2nd goal? Amazing, the Italians play the ball from back to front in 20 seconds and two Irish players let a striker get a shot in on the 6 yard box and you blame Given.

Pissy ingratitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I have sent in 3 emails for the Webcast. All addressed to Mr.Dunphy. Can't wait :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

Archimedes wrote: »
    Jaysus, John O'Shea is fierce upset. This interview is like a 'dont jump' intervention!

I would dare suggest a few tears were shed on his part about the result and I wouldn't blame him.

webcast now, its always fun :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Right, the man who has done more than anyone, bar Dunne, to get us where we are.

In fairness I think even Shay would admit that he did not have his best game tonight. You could see on his face for the first goal that he knew that he could have done better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Given an absolute Legend. Lost count of times he has saved us. Never blame Given.

flanzer wrote: »
    I still believe, if Gerrard or Kaka were Irish, arguably the 2 current best attacking central midfielders in the world, Trap would pick Andrews and Whelan ahead of them because of their 'holding' abilities.

The media, Dunphy and the Irish fans have the right to question Trap to his face why he isn't getting into the squad

He's taken what are essentially a bunch of turkeys to the verge of world cup qualification and he's still being "questioned"

The man is little short of a miracle worker to get those players to this position and should be given the freedom of the universe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Looking back yes we could have won the group. But given the squad I think we achieved well.

Forgetting those 2 sorepoints i will leave out we have drawn 5 games which imo we should have won at least 3 but for tactics/mindsets/limited players at a push.Negativity has cost us an island of 4m the chance to win a group consisting of the current world champions who on the last 3 years are nothing special.Negativity and managed by an Italian , coincidence i think not.I am happy with getting to the play offs just pissed cos we could have topped the group.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

Blaming him for the 2nd goal? Amazing, the Italians play the ball from back to front in 20 seconds and two Irish players let a striker get a shot in on the 6 yard box and you blame Given.

Pissy ingratitude.

FFS - while I dont expect you to remember the minutae of my post - I said he wasnt in *superhuman* form - which he is more than often is - I believe that was the difference in not getting an (undeserved) 3 points.

In fairness I think even Shay would admit that he did not have his best game tonight. You could see on his face for the first goal that he knew that he could have done better.

Eh, the two players who went up for the ball should have got it, the player standing on font of Given should have blocked it and by not doing so completely put Given off and couldn't react until the last minute as he had to wait and see if the player would get a touch.

soma wrote: »
    FFS - while I dont expect you to remember the minutae of my post - I said he wasnt in *superhuman* form - which he is more than often is - I believe that was the difference in not getting an (undeserved) 3 points.

Fair enough, I believe it was an inability to defend set-pieces.

Mainly though, it is allowing the opposition 80% (the vast majority anyway) of the possession.

Finally the naivety in the last 4 minutes, I would have cut the hell out of Iaquinta while he was outside the box for their second equaliser.

Eh, the two players who went up for the ball should have got it, the player standing on font of Given should have blocked it and by not doing so completely put Given off and couldn't react until the last minute as he had to wait and see if the player would get a touch.

That's all fine but I guarantee that if you asked Shay he would say that he could have done better. It was written all over his face.

anyone blaming given should not be regarded a irish soccer fan imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

Tonights game had no relevance, Italy would of beaten cyprus at home anyway. 1st place in the group was lost when we drew with montenegro, which was a most win game. I remember saying this exact same thing on here right after the montenegro game and was laughed out of the place, everyone was so happy we got a draw. Its lonely being right all the time.

Personally, I think we should take the point and run. The Italians had plenty in the tank and always had the goal in them if it was necessary

It was a disappointing end but a point won rather than two lost in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

John o'Shea was immense.
    I know it was said many times during the match but they should really be looking to get the ball more into McGeady, he was a threat every time he had the ball at his feet.

Btw Ireland would be bolloxed without a world class keeper like Given.

Anyone thinking that we are blaming Shay should get their eyes tested. All we're saying is that he was not at his usual standard tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Anyone going watching the webcast? Or emailing in? Would be interesting to see if anyone on here gets an email read out.

• Advertisement

Kindly elaborate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

orourkeda wrote: »
    He's taken what are essentially a bunch of turkeys to the verge of world cup qualification and he's still being "questioned"

The man is little short of a miracle worker to get those players to this position and should be given the freedom of the universe.

I hope he realises he's gonna need him for the play off. That sort of football tonight wont work against a team who'll attack attack attack and fight for their lives to get to the world cup

Anyone thinking that we are blaming Shay should get their eyes tested. All we're saying is that he was not at his usual standard tonight.

Fair enuff i agree he wasnt great tonight, but overall hes one of the main reasons were even in this position

d22ontour wrote: »
    Forgetting those 2 sorepoints i will leave out we have drawn 5 games which imo we should have won at least 3 but for tactics/mindsets/limited players at a push.Negativity has cost us an island of 4m the chance to win a group consisting of the current world champions who on the last 3 years are nothing special.Negativity and managed by an Italian , coincidence i think not.I am happy with getting to the play offs just pissed cos we could have topped the group.

:(

Will you stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭deisedude

joe123 wrote: »
    Anyone going watching the webcast? Or emailing in? Would be interesting to see if anyone on here gets an email read out.

Has it started yet? I've media player open and all i see is World cup extra on the screen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

joe123 wrote: »

has it started?

orourkeda wrote: »

The verge of world cup qualification?

Are you for real?

Odds are still unbelievably stacked against us. Haven't beaten a top team in 8 years - odds are massively stacked against us, particularly with the team setup.

LMAO, the audio is on and they don't know it on the webcast...

Im listening to Bill but he doesn't know I am!

Hilarious.

ROFL the webcast is live and bill doesnt know hes on the air hahahaha

• Advertisement
Advertisement