Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs. Italy - 10/10/09 **KO 8:00 PM** [mod warning post #160]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

drkpower wrote: »
    has it started?

haha- they are on air but dont realise it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Haha you could hear bill goin "at this stage i couldnt care less":D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭deisedude

Just started now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

noodler wrote: »
    The verge of world cup qualification?

Are you for real?

Odds are still unbelievably stacked against us. Haven't beaten a top team in 8 years - odds are massively stacked against us, particularly with the team setup.

I said the VERGE.

You Know (edge, precipice etc)

2 Years ago these these players were the laughing stock of western europe and we are now in the world cup playoffs.

Quite an achievement in my view

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

John o'Shea was immense.
    I know it was said many times during the match but they should really be looking to get the ball more into McGeady, he was a threat every time he had the ball at his feet.

Btw Ireland would be bolloxed without a world class keeper like Given.

McGeady was definitely a threat but his final ball is so so frustrating. This is a part of his game that really needs to be worked on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

orourkeda wrote: »
    I said the VERGE.

2 Years ago these these players were the laughing stock of western europe and we are now in the world cup playoffs.

Its still a wild, wild over exaggeration.

You can say that all you want but actually analyzing the games played shows that there has been a massive chunk of luck along the way.

Verge of qualification would be 3-nil up against Portugal with about 10 minutes to go in the second leg of a playoff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

I said the VERGE.

Fantastic achievement but I really believe we could have got maybe 4 more points overall in the group.

Dunphy, what a gob****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

killwill wrote: »
    Fantastic achievement but I really believe we could have got maybe 4 more points overall in the group.

or 4 less......

All the mindless speculation about what we would have done with reid in the team is a little silly. I certainly believe we would have been better with reid but whether that translates into us topping the group is impossible to answer.

• Advertisement

Its still a wild, wild over exaggeration.

You can say that all you want but actually analyzing the games played shows that there has been a massive chunk of luck along the way.

Verge of qualification would be 3-nil up against Portugal with about 10 minutes to go in the second half.

Do unlucky teams qualify for the world cup?

A Play off spot was as good as we were ever going to get out of this group.

They've done it with a game to spare and have remained unbeaten.

You're just twisting words by suggesting that a playoff isnt the verge of qualification. The last obstacle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

On way back from match what a game anyone who says we didn't play well is mad IMO. Every single player played well IMO great performance

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

What the hell is going on?

We've just got to the play offs, and gotten a good result against a much better team, and still, still everyone still wants to have a go at the players and the manager.

We're not Brazil, we're not Spain, we are never going to play possession football in the oppositions half, even if we had Andy Reid and Ireland in there, I do wish everyone would get over it.

Also, Peter Collins, ugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

We've just got to the play offs, and gotten a good result against a much better team, and still, still everyone still wants to have a go at the players and the manager.

We're not Brazil, we're not Spain, we are never going to play possession football in the oppositions half, even if we had Andy Reid and Ireland in there, I do wish everyone would get over it.

I like peter collins!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

rofl at the dunphy clip, legend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Dunphy with his air guitar. Quality webcast as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Andrea Pirlo is truely world class. Not going to happen but if we brought Reid into the team for Andrews I'd be a lot more optimistic about the play-offs.

Thank you god. Sense

Andrea Pirlo is truely world class. Not going to happen but if we brought Reid into the team for Andrews I'd be a lot more optimistic about the play-offs.

One player doesnt win you atwo legged play off

deisedude wrote: »
    Dunphy, what a gob****e

I like him. Fair enough he is negative most of the time but hes entertaining and sometimes hes even right. Speaks his mind.

Have to say theres no other punditry I enjoy watching more than Bill, John and Eamon.

y. 1st place in the group was lost when we drew with montenegro, which was a most win game. I remember saying this exact same thing on here right after the montenegro game and was laughed out of the place, everyone was so happy we got a draw. Its lonely being right all the time.

now id hardly say our second match in the group away from home in a partisan ground is must win regardless of montenegros inexperience as a football nation :rolleyes: i think the home game against Bulgaria may have cost us but then again are we playing above ourselves? we cant keep attacking momentum up for 90 minutes and we prob arent good enough to defend leads the italian way either.
    the playoff's are a minefield now. We cant keep a clean sheet at home which is a worry and i dont think we have the men to score when needed either.

• Advertisement

Do unlucky teams qualify for the world cup?

A Play off spot was as good as we were ever going to get out of this group.

They've done it with a game to spare and have remained unbeaten.

You're just twisting words by suggesting that a playoff isnt the verge of qualification. The last obstacle

Hah!

You are probably realising only now that the Play - Offs involve playing Greece, Russia, France or Portugal.

Now whatever way you want to put it, we are miles away from actual qualification.

Have you watched all the Irish games this campaign? Unfortunately you need to look a little deeper than the results to see why people are so critical.

The luck we got against Georgia at home or in Bari cannot be relied upon for future progression. If we are going to let Cyrpus and Bulgaria have all the ball then what will happen when we play one of the aforementioned teams?

Don't get defensive because you jumped the gun - the Play-offs mean a two-legged game against one of the above and you would have to be wildly optimistic to believe we are on the verge of qualification at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Dunphy air guitar made my night. He has balls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭vestanpance

If any of the lads on yellows and pick up one on Wednesday do the suspensions carry over to the play offs or are Fifa waiting to see how France/Portugal/Russia are fixed?

YEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS St Ledger

I posted this question during the goal flurry, anyone know how it works?

joe123 wrote: »
    I like him. Fair enough he is negative most of the time but hes entertaining and sometimes hes even right. Speaks his mind.

Have to say theres no other punditry I enjoy watching more than Bill, John and Eamon.

He tries to be controversial for the sake of it. Calling this one of the worst irish performances he has seen is madness. We were 2 mins away from beating the world champions FFS.

So unbelievably general and simplistic.

deisedude wrote: »
    He tries to be controversial for the sake of it. Calling this one of the worst irish performances he has seen is madness. We were 2 mins away from beating the world champions FFS.

Yeah true that was slightly mad. We didnt deserve to win the game but we werent that bad at all.

One player doesnt win you atwo legged play off

I never said that.

Andrews isn't a natural defensive midfielder at all, by no means an effective DM. If Reid was in the team the passing would be a lot more fluid and we'd be able to hang onto possession more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Thank you god. Sense
    Listen Greece won the European Championships. It can be done.
    This boils down to us under selling ourselves. Our midfield did well enough tonight. But again we are limiting our options by leaving him out. He is the only midfielder who has the technique to break down a defence with a pass.
    Remember our second goal came off a set piece. Who is to say we will do that in the play offs.

So unbelievably general and simplistic.

But accurate. If we tried playing possesion football we would be eaten alive. Stan tried to get us playing technically better football and it bombed because our players arent good enough technically

Hah!

You are probably realising only now that the Play - Offs involve playing Greece, Russia, France or Portugal.

Now whatever way you want to put it, we are miles away from actual qualification.

Have you watched all the Irish games this campaign? Unfortunately you need to look a little deeper than the results to see why people are so critical.

The luck we got against Georgia at home or in Bari cannot be relied upon for future progression. If we are going to let Cyrpus and Bulgaria have all the ball then what will happen when we play one of the aforementioned teams?

Don't get defensive because you jumped the gun - the Play-offs mean a two-legged game against one of the above and you would have to be wildly optimistic to believe we are on the verge of qualification at this point.

Whatever.

Cast your mind back to any tournament that Ireland has qualified for and yu'll find that we have had more than our fair share of good luck.

Scotland In Sofia euro 88

Spain V Denmark in Copenhagen usa 94

Ireland v Holland 2002 wc

are 3 glaring examples of this and if they do qualify for south africa thi swill have proven to be similar in that respect.

Now that we're miles away from qualification and it will take years to play a 2 game play off we need our luck to hold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

I posted this question during the goal flurry, anyone know how it works?
    They do not carry over after the group stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

One of our better performances in recent times. Still fairly shìte though but we know what to expect with Trap at this stage.

I'm suprised we let in the second goal. I think we were a little unlucky to concede it tbh. If another 30 seconds had past then the training would have kicked in and the team wouldn't have pushed forward and let themselves be caught out. That experience might be more beneficial in the long run than what would probably have turned out to be a meaningless extra 2 points. Trap saying in the interview that he's going to review this with the team and teach them how to waste time :D ha good man. Poor JOS, looked heart-broken in his interview.

Lawrence had a good game imo, i'd guess he'll become a regular starter.

Well we've got 2nd place and i must say i have a big grin. I'm not a fan of catenaccio (sp), i don't think it's a very effective strategy. I think this qualification group was very weak and even with the relatively poor standard of players available to us it was still reasonable to expect that we finish second imho. Trap has achieved that. if he goes further and gets us through the play-off then he'll deserve alot of credit.

I think whenever (if ever) S Reid comes back he'll help us with our biggest problem of not being able to hold onto the ball and then i'd actually be happy enough with our prospects.

I never said that.

Andrews isn't a natural defensive midfielder at all, by no means an effective DM. If Reid was in the team the passing would be a lot more fluid and we'd be able to hang onto possession more.

So what other 3 midfielders do you play and how will Andy Reids presence inprove them by any significant amount

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

killwill wrote: »
    Where did I say the result was not important? The more friendlies international players play together the better they will play as a team. I don't understand why that is so hard to get.

this is a really easy thing to understand.

you pointed out everything that makes friendlies relevant.

the one thing you didn't point out was the result of the game.

if you played football at any level you will understand why the result of friendlies have absolutely _no_ baring/relevance on anything really.

pace of the game, opposition's preparation to the game, their concentration levels their tactics, their team, subs made there is so much out of your own control.

then as a team you probably have never played together before and everything about the game will be nothing like to a game that actually means something

so there for the result of them games are irrelevant. of course it's nice to win they _might_ add to the confidence or an "oar" around the team but at the end of the day it means nothing

Whatever.

Cast your mind back to any tournament that Ireland has qualified for and yu'll find that we have had more than our fair share of good luck.

Scotland In Sofia euro 88

Spain V Denmark in Copenhagen usa 94

Ireland v Holland 2002 wc

are 3 glaring examples of this and if they do qualify for south africa thi swill have proven to be similar in that respect.

Now that we're miles away from qualification and it will take years to play a 2 game play off we need our luck to hold.

Poor examples.

Italy having 10 men for the whole game? Being awarded a penalty against Gerogia for nothing?

Letting Cyprus and Bulgaria walk all over us at home and still not losing?

Playing in Mainz?

Comeback with better comparisons.

So what other 3 midfielders do you play and how will Andy Reids presence inprove them by any significant amount

Watch more football.

You can play Reid alongside Whelan or Andrews but it at least it gives us more options. Andrews and Whelan together just too alike. We need a play maker.
    At the moment we are drilling one cross after another and most times its hit and miss stuff. Reid can play the ball on the deck and most times finds his man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

2-2 draw

FFS we should have holded out for the win so close

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Hasn't been pretty by any means. But we're "there". Anyone whining about that at this stage needs a good slap and a healthy dose of reality.
    ntlbell wrote: »
    if you played football at any level you will understand why the result of friendlies have absolutely _no_ baring/relevance on anything really.

Simply not true. Fair enough, you can write off a bad defeat or a poor performance when it's a friendly game, but the confidence a good win or performance can bring, be it a friendly or otherwise shouldn't be underestimated.

*sigh* are we still on Andy Reid?

Look, i;d certainly want him in the team. But look at the bigger picture, in this set-up, and whatever way you feel about it is irrelevant, in this set-up, he'd add very little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

He certainly is. He was fantastic tonight. In fact the Italians control and vision was amazing to watch.

el dude wrote: »
    Hasn't been pretty by any means. But we're "there". Anyone whining about that at this stage needs a good slap and a healthy dose of reality.

Simply not true. Fair enough, you can write off a bad defeat or a poor performance when it's a friendly game, but the confidence a good win or performance can bring, be it a friendly or otherwise shouldn't be underestimated.

*sigh* are we still on Andy Reid?

Look, i;d certainly want him in the team. But look at the bigger picture, in this set-up, and whatever way you feel about it is irrelevant, in this set-up, he'd add very little.
    People are whining because they know if we get to play offs without our best players and then fail to qualify it will have meant nothing.
    As everyone likes to remind us we are a small nation of four million so we need all our best players at our command.
    Not a thing we can do with S Ireland but A Reid has made himself available and is playing terrific football at moment.
    It is absolutely criminal to be leaving him out of the team!

Watch more football.

Very Helpful. I only asked a question.

Very Helpful. I only asked a question.

I am sorry then, I thought you were being smart.

What are people's opinions on Duff when he's fit - should he go back into the starting XI? I was happy with McGeady and Lawrence tonight.

Happy with Lawrence.

McGeady can be dropped for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

Republic of Ireland concede an equaliser..Twice. Normale i Normale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Agreed. Lawrence and Duff on the wings. McGeady is perfect for an impact sub.

Duff if he is fully fit will always get into starting eleven. Lawrence to be fair showed great graft but graft alone can only get you so far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

People are whining because they know if we get to play offs without our best players and then fail to qualify it will have meant nothing.
    As everyone likes to remind us we are a small nation of four million so we need all our best players at our command.
    Not a thing we can do with S Ireland but A Reid has made himself available and is playing terrific football at moment.
    It is absolutely criminal to be leaving him out of the team!
    HE DOES NOT FIT INTO TRAP'S PLANS. MOVE ON!! WE GET IT, YOU WANT A.REID IN THE SQUAD!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Happy with Lawrence.

McGeady can be dropped for me.

McGeady is a fantastic dribbler of the ball but he can't pass,cross or shot so he's a waste of space imo. Would prefer Duff every day of the week...

• Advertisement
Advertisement