Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs. Italy - 10/10/09 **KO 8:00 PM** [mod warning post #160]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Perhaps anyone who doesn't think Andy Reid shouldn't be in the squad should have a look at this season's Premier League assist charts.

*puts on thinking cap*

Im lost...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Liam O wrote: »
    fair enough, but the fact that the good young players aren't getting a chance to prove themselves and Rowlands who is 30 years old gets a shot is stupid imo. I mean look at James McCarthy, he picked Ireland over Scotland and I reckon he'd probably be at least in their squad even though they do have much better midfielders than us. We need players who play in the PL at least some of the time and have shown they can can play to the level required which you just don't get in the Championship imo.

McCarthy is a very young player who does not get games at Wigan, I don't think that really is good enough for the senior team. Let him have a while in the U-21s and when he breaks through at Wigan give him a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Xavi6 wrote: »
    If you enjoy watching the sort of football served up last night and throughout the campaign then good on ya.

:confused:

I just want to win. Couldn't give a **** how we do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Archimedes wrote: »
    *puts on thinking cap*

Im lost...

You forgot to put an apostrophe between 'I' and 'm' Mr. Pedant. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Ceartgoleor

I don't understand the point of bringing in a manager of Trapattoni's experience and paying him the money we supposedly pay him if we are going to second guess every decision he makes. He should be judged on results alone, and so far we're unbeaten in these WC qualifiers and in the playoffs, which realistically isn't a bad state of affairs.

He won't pick Andy Reid I think because he plays to his system, and rightly or wrongly believes Reid won't have the defensive discipline to slot into his system, but if he gets us to a World Cup, who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I think boards somehow killed my post on the Andy Reid discussion last night :( anyway...

It's definitely wrong that he's not in the squad, i think we all agree with that. Whether he should actually be starting or not is a judgement call and there's definitely a good argument that he doesn't work hard enough to start in this team with this set up. Personally i'd give him a shot but i wouldn't be too bothered if Trap honestly didn't think he could fit into the system. But the fact that Trap doesn't even let him into the squad only proves that it's a personal, not technical
    issue. That is a serious indictment of Trap tbh.

Forgetting about Andy Reid, S Ireland, Carsley etc. imho the one player we really need in the team is Stephen Reid. He improves us massively with his ability to hold onto the ball, not that he's a superstar in this regard but he's infinitely better at it than Andrews and Whealan. He's also better at defending than those two which is an added bonus. I hope to fùck he's back in time for the playoffs but i have no idea if that's likely. With S Reid involved i'd honestly be very optimistic about our chances of upsetting any big team on our day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

I don't understand the point of bringing in a manager of Trapattoni's experience and paying him the money we supposedly pay him if we are going to second guess every decision he makes. He should be judged on results alone, and so far we're unbeaten in these WC qualifiers and in the playoffs, which realistically isn't a bad state of affairs.

He won't pick Andy Reid I think because he plays to his system, and rightly or wrongly believes Reid won't have the defensive discipline to slot into his system, but if he gets us to a World Cup, who cares?

And Keith Andrews does? Do you not notice every half decent team just walks right through us in midfield. Him and Whelan aren't effective defensive midfielders by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

briany wrote: »
    Must say the 2-1 lead was good while it lasted. Did you see the camera's picture shaking after Ireland's goal? Jeez it was like an earthquake going off or something! The atmosphere looked mighty.

Been going GAA rugby and football matches for 20 years but never seen people go as nuts as they did last night with second goal.

Was unreal, was just glad witness and share moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

You forgot to put an apostrophe between 'I' and 'm' Mr. Pedant. ;)

Oh, i'm not calling you up on that or anything, I'm genuinely confused as to whether you're part of the Reid for Ireland/Reid not for Ireland camp! Honest! I checked the assist stats though, so I'm guessing youre all for him rejoining the squad. No harm intended.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Boards was down when I got back from the match. Thus I couldnt comment until now.

The only disappointing thing about last night was the result. This was almost the most competent Irish performance since 2001. Ireland deserved a win. From watching it, the Italians were stifled. It was not a case of Italy playing poorly. Ireland were around them like a swarm of bees, and forced Italy to change their game. They were in no position to knock the ball around, and try and break down the almost resolute Irish defence.

I felt Whelan and Lawrence deserve special mention. Particularly the latter, who worked his socks off in his first competitive international. Whelan looked stronger, and more assured. I hope his first half performance will continue to appear when he pulls on the green shirt.

Richard Dunne is a rock. Mark Huges should be ashamed of himself for selling this guy for Lescott and Toure. It would have made more sense to build the defence around Dunne, rather then look to a far more erratic model in Lescott. Equally, St Ledger is improving day by day. However, his glaring inexperience was to cost us the crucial goal.

Amazing how Stephan Hunt continues to act as a fantastic impact sub. In 10 Mins he made one run, which terrified Italy, and utilised the resulting free kick to grab the goal. I really feel he is a special player, who's skills need to be honed.

I have to agree with the masses vis-a-vis Andy Reid. However, it is fairly moot with regards last night, as we put ourselves in winning positions only to blow them by defensive lapses. The play-offs are coming, and I would love to see Stephan Reid, and Andy Reid make a squad appearence. Equally, players like KeithFahy, Lee Carsley, Steve Finnan, and Damien Duff should all be in contention.

My Ratings
    S.Given 6 One superb save. However, the rest extended to picking the ball from his net
    S.St Ledger 7 Assured and Safe. Wonderful headed goal. Regrettable lapse at the end
    K.Kilbane 7 Stuck to Camoranesi like glue. One foree forward which exposed his limitations !
    R.Dunne 7 Another strong performance. Little loose for the corner kick which lead to the Italian leveller
    J.OShea 8 One of his best Irish performances. Weak header at the end shouldnt detract from that
    L.Larwence 8 Buzzed around, and made space for himself. If he can perfect his crossing, he could be a real find
    G.Whelan 6 Superb goal, and some impressive tackling. Wained in the second half
    K.Andrews 5 A little bit quiet. No real impact other then his holding role
    A.McGeady 7 Fianlly he started skinning his marker ! Still no end product which nullifies his potential
    R.Keane 7 Strong up front. Was the victim of some cynical attacks by the Italians
    K.Doyle 6 Gave 110%, but the Italians marshalled him well

Subs
    L.Best 5 Some nice turns, and gave the Italians grief. However, he looks a bit limited yet
    M.Rowlands 5 See Andrews
    S.Hunt 7 One major involvement. Led to the goal !

lolbet.jpg

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

If you enjoy watching the sort of football served up last night and throughout the campaign then good on ya.

Are people really so deluded by the need to complain that they think having Fahey in the squad and Clinton Morrison on the bench instead of Best really would enable a much more entertaining brand of football?

Like I said, Andy Reid should be in the squad. Everyone else is open to debate and is much of a muchness tbh.

Also, given that Reid most likely will be in future squads now that he's playing well, I just can't understand the constant complaining?

I mean do people actually expect results and champagne football from the Irish national team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Archimedes wrote: »
    Those Greeks sure looked like they had a good time back in 2004

:(

Yep we all know football is a results based game, and if you look at my posts in this thread you will see that I said it was a great result last night.

However, I don't anyone could have enjoyed the actual football on display from the Irish team and that's the point being made.
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    :confused:

I just want to win. Couldn't give a **** how we do it?

As above, we did ok to get a result, but as a football fan surely that brand of 'puke' football does not inspire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

However, I don't anyone could have enjoyed the actual football on display from the Irish team and that's the point being made.
    I was in Croke Park last and I tell you I enjoyed myself more last night than any night in the past 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I thoroughly enjoyed that match last night, there was misplaced passes and bad decision making aplenty but I enjoyed it.

Ireland vs Cyprus in the last much was truly horrible though.

• Advertisement

Villain wrote: »
    I was in Croke Park last and I tell you I enjoyed myself more last night than any night in the past 5 years.

Was that because of the football on show or the partizan atmosphere?

Yep we all know football is a results based game, and if you look at my posts in this thread you will see that I said it was a great result last night.

As above, we did ok to get a result, but as a football fan surely that brand of 'puke' football does not inspire?

Again, :confused:

I never care how a team I support plays once they get the job done. In this case, playing a limited game gives this squad the best possible chance to get the job done. For Liverpool over the years in Europe it has been the same.

I go to support the effort of my chosen team, and rejoice in their ability to compete and, hopefully, win / get the required result. Whether they play good football or not doing it is utterly irrelevant to me. I'll cheer a nice move if it leads to a chance or us playing our way out of trouble. But I'll cheer a ball down the channel that is chased down / won by a hard working forward just as lustily.

I really do not give a **** whether the teams I support play good football or not. Seriously, I couldn't care less.

Was that because of the football on show or the partizan atmosphere?

Because 14 Irish players gave 110% and scored 2 goals against the World Champions, the Atmosphere was there because the players gave us something to cheer about. I was proud to be Irish we got a great result against a world class team I really don't know what else anyone could expect from the players we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Because 14 Irish players gave 110% and scored 2 goals against the World Champions, the Atmosphere was there because the players gave us something to cheer about. I was proud to be Irish we got a great result against a world class team I really don't know what else anyone could expect from the players we have.

while I agree, holding on for 5 minutes would've been nice ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

gosplan wrote: »
    Are people really so deluded by the need to complain that they think having Fahey in the squad and Clinton Morrison on the bench instead of Best really would enable a much more entertaining brand of football?

Like I said, Andy Reid should be in the squad. Everyone else is open to debate and is much of a muchness tbh.

Also, given that Reid most likely will be in future squads now that he's playing well, I just can't understand the constant complaining?

I mean do people actually expect results and champagne football from the Irish national team?
    Well I think Wednesday would be a good time to give Fahey a run out. We have qualified for play offs so Trap has nothing to lose in that respect.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, glad you enjoyed it.

I enjoyed watching it too celebrating on my own in front of a laptop at 5am. A packed Croke Park with the world champions in town would have been a wonderful experience.

For me though the football played took the gloss off it in a big way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it was ugly for the most part, there is still no 'proper football' being played, but by God i was enthralled.

well done to the lads; they played Trap's gameplan as well as he could possibly have asked for really. it was just a pity about those lapses in concentration.

i hope Ireland win every time they go out on the pitch; if we win with style, it's a hell of a bonus. but the win is THE most important. does nobody remember Italia '90?

as long as the results keep coming, i can't say too much wrong about Trap. he's made us competitively very difficult to beat, and as a result we're on the verge of South Africa. of course he has faults. he's as stubborn as a mule, should have Reid in the squad, could have us playing more creatively, could be asking players to have more confidence on the ball and play it a bit etc etc etc.

but, quite frankly, he has this nation on the verge of an appearance at the World Cup; something that couldn't have been further from a realistic goal before he arrived.

a special mention to John O'Shea, Richard Dunne, Glenn Whelan, and Robbie Keane last night.

on a side note; Pirlo was a joy to watch for the Italians too.

well done to all the fans; it sounded like a cracking atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Again, :confused:

I
    I really do not give a **** whether the teams I support play good football or not. Seriously, I couldn't care less.

So, if I understand correctly, the result is all that matters. Does this mean you don't actually watch the game, just read the scores in the paper next morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

We're dealing with a squad of mostly average players (relative to the top level of the game) that play their ****ing asses off and find ways to make things happen late in games consistently. There have been recurring lucky breaks throughout the campaign, but there have also been vital late goals fashioned against Georgia and Italy at home, and against Cyprus and Italy away. On the whole, the team is running above expectation. But they give themselves the best possible platform considering their collective abilities.

Concur absolutely. Punching above our weight. The manager is optimising his poor raw materials.

Fair enough, glad you enjoyed it.

I enjoyed watching it too celebrating on my own in front of a laptop at 5am. A packed Croke Park with the world champions in town would have been a wonderful experience.

For me though the football played took the gloss off it in a big way.

The reality is, this Irish team cannot play much better. I had a letter published in the irish Times in February 2008, where i simply accepted that Trappatoni would not excite purists.

However, without playing glossy football, we are as close to a major championship as we have been since 2002. We navigated a tough group without losing a game, we are conceeding a lot less, yet there has always been a goal for us. Our top striker has scored the most goals of any indvidual player. We sorted out Cyprus and Georgia when things looked grim. We have done all that without Ireland, A.Reid, Fahey, Carsley, Joey O Brien, Finnan, and Stephan Reid (for the majority of the tournament) Our midfield last night has less then 10 years premiership experience between them. McGeady plys his trade against Kilmarnock, St Mirren and Gretna (before they went out of business), while Andrews was a 4th tier player in 2007/2008.

With far better options available to us in the last WC qualification we ended up in fourth position, which has resulted in us dropping from First seeds to third seeds in three years. Like in 1998, we are incrementally improving, and I feel our European Championship qualification needs to be another big push. The post Christmas freindly games (whether we are preparing for South Africa or not) must incorporate all potnetial players. im sure the likes of Steve Finnan will quit after this tournament, however, we have replacements in the wings. I want to know more about Ireland's potential. However, I have been very pleased that we have gone someway to re-establishing our reputation which was so badly tarnihed from 2005-2008

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Het-Field wrote: »
    The reality is, this Irish team cannot play much better. I had a letter published in the irish Times in February 2008, where i simply accepted that Trappatoni would not excite purists.

However, without playing glossy football, we are as close to a major championship as we have been since 2002. We navigated a tough group without losing a game, we are conceeding a lot less, yet there has always been a goal for us. Our top striker has scored the most goals of any indvidual player. We sorted out Cyprus and Georgia when things looked grim. We have done all that without Ireland, A.Reid, Fahey, Carsley, Joey O Brien, Finnan, and Stephan Reid (for the majority of the tournament) Our midfield last night has less then 10 years premiership experience between them. McGeady plys his trade against Kilmarnock, St Mirren and Gretna (before they went out of business), while Andrews was a 4th tier player in 2007/2008.

With far better options available to us in the last WC qualification we ended up in fourth position, which has resulted in us dropping from First seeds to third seeds in three years. Like in 1998, we are incrementally improving, and I feel our European Championship qualification needs to be another big push. The post Christmas freindly games (whether we are preparing for South Africa or not) must incorporate all potnetial players. im sure the likes of Steve Finnan will quit after this tournament, however, we have replacements in the wings. I want to know more about Ireland's potential. However, I have been very pleased that we have gone someway to re-establishing our reputation which was so badly tarnihed from 2005-2008

The Irish team can't play much better?

I hate this self-pity bile. Cop on, there were 9 games in the group so far and only two were against Italy. We played the same way in all of them.

Great shots well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Prufrock wrote: »
    Having made the playoffs is a great result for us. Pity we couldn't hold the lead but we're still in with a shout. Liam Miller should be nowhere near getting into the squad. Keith Fahey or Clinton Morrison would be good choices based on current form.

Keith Fahey is a possibility. I think Clinton Morrisson has had his chance

orourkeda wrote: »
    Keith Fahey is a possibility. I think Clinton Morrisson has had his chance

Fahey doesn't fit the system etc etc.

Morrison is banging them in regularly but so is best. Folan ain't there for goalscoring. Morrison defo has a case as 5th striker over Hunt and Long anyway.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »

I hate this self-pity bile. Cop on, there were 9 games in the group so far and only two were against Italy. We played the same way in all of them.

Its not self pity, its realism. As I have mentioned, there is only a handful of players who have long term premier league experience. On consideration, the starting midfield has 4 years premiership experience (Andrews 1 Year, McGeady 0 Years, Whelan 1 Year, Lawrence 2 Years). Equally, St Ledger, best, and Rowlands have only played Championship football in their careers. Doyle has two years, while Kilbane has been out of the Hull and Wigan sides for long periods of time. With the exception of Given, Dunne, O Shea, Keane and Foyle, most are completely dispensable at club and country level.

I think if you look at our home performances against Georgia, and Cyprus, you will find last nights was quite different. The Georgian game was gone from us until a fortutious penalty was handed our way. Equally, we were lucky not to blow up against Cyprus last year.

Last night's was a more comeptent performance.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    So, if I understand correctly, the result is all that matters. Does this mean you don't actually watch the game, just read the scores in the paper next morning?

No, you do not understand correctly:
    I go to support the effort of my chosen team, and rejoice in their ability to compete and, hopefully, win / get the required result. Whether they play good football or not doing it is utterly irrelevant to me. I'll cheer a nice move if it leads to a chance or us playing our way out of trouble. But I'll cheer a ball down the channel that is chased down / won by a hard working forward just as lustily.

Het-Field wrote: »
    Its not self pity, its realism. As I have mentioned, there is only a handful of players who have long term premier league experience. On consideration, the starting midfield has 4 years premiership experience (Andrews 1 Year, McGeady 0 Years, Whelan 1 Year, Lawrence 2 Years). Equally, St Ledger, best, and Rowlands have only played Championship football in their careers. Doyle has two years, while Kilbane has been out of the Hull and Wigan sides for long periods of time. With the exception of Given, Dunne, O Shea, Keane and Foyle, most are completely dispensable at club and country level.

I think if you look at our home performances against Georgia, and Cyprus, you will find last nights was quite different. The Georgian game was gone from us until a fortutious penalty was handed our way. Equally, we were lucky not to blow up against Cyprus last year.

Last night's was a more comeptent performance.

We played the same way last night, once Italy equalised, as we played in our other home games. That means backing off and conceding space and possession. The fact we are picking Andrews over Andy Reid or Lee Carsley goes hand in hand with my point.

Does't matter who we are playing, I wish we had had a San Mariino in our group to see what would have happened.

No, you do not understand correctly:

Theres a balance Loyd, Trap hasn't found it.

We are playing with one arm tied behind our back and when we eventually get knocked out of the Play-Offs Trap will shrug his shoulders and say I did the best with all the player available to me.

And that will be completely untrue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

and if we get through the play offs noodler, will you agree he has done a sensational job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I was there last night and I have to say it was the best atmosphere I've seen in Croke Park.

And when the Italians scored their second something that struck me was you could see our players were hurt by that. I haven't seen our players hurting since Thierry Henry scored against us in Lansdowne. That alone gave me some hope for the future, because for a long time our players just didn't care. I just hope it is something in the regime rather than just being up for the the World Champions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

"self pity" is not the same as a statement of fact.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    and if we get through the play offs noodler, will you agree he has done a sensational job?

Don't misunderstand me, there obvious improvemens he has brought. There is a definite tenacity andyou never really fear we will ship goals in a game. Our set-pieces are have certainly improved.

However, I flly believe this team will not be able to knockout someone like France or Portugal with the way it is setup. If it happens, I will come back to you and give you an opinion because there are plenty of games this camapign where we got results we did not deserve.

Both Bulgarian games, at home to Cyprus and Georgia, and arguably Italy away (arguably, the sending off wasn't our fault but our subsequent approach was disheartening).

If Trap has an ounce of flexibility I think we could have had comfortable wins against Cyprus, Georgia and Bulgaria at home at the very least.

I feel sorry for the players out there to, Keane (despite his heroics) and Doyle are being starved of ball as the gap between midfield and attack gets ever wider and the ball just keeps coming back at us regardless of who we are playing.

I can't see what Trap could honestly do within his system and his current squad that could get us through two legs under that type of pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

Onkle wrote: »
    I was there last night and I have to say it was the best atmosphere I've seen in Croke Park.

And when the Italians scored their second something that struck me was you could see our players were hurt by that. I haven't seen our players hurting since Thierry Henry scored against us in Lansdowne. That alone gave me some hope for the future, because for a long time our players just didn't care. I just hope it is something in the regime rather than just being up for the the World Champions

It looked great on the TV too, that atmosphere really seemed to come across. John O'Shea looked quite upset during the post match interview and Liam Lawrence looked quite desolate walking off the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭deisedude

I think a lot of Irish fans expectations are too high because they expect Ireland to play a similar standard of football as the top 4 Premiership clubs they support. This is impossible with the limited player resources at our disposal

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Support was pretty embarresing - just shocking tbh after the 2nd goal for all of 3 minutes everyone got into it - other than me and my brother were just given condescending looks for standing and getting behind the team.

The same people then were the first the mutter abuse about that players when a pass was mi**** - I was honestly shocked it's been bad for a long time - but for such a massive game the effort of the majority was really really poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

On the topic of supporters, at Oktoberfest in the IFSC a chap behind the bar was asking the score and a lad answered. I was about to so the guy looked at me so my response to the score was "typical, isn't it?" (which, as it turns out, is pretty much what Keane said). The guy who answered originally chirped up, looked me dead in the eye and said "were you there?" .."not at the stadium, no"... "yeah well you've no right to say anything, alright?"

Good job, "fans".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Good job, "fans".

One fan

deisedude wrote: »
    I think a lot of Irish fans expectations are too high because they expect Ireland to play a similar standard of football as the top 4 Premiership clubs they support. This is impossible with the limited player resources at our disposal

Very silly post IMO.

Very naive and if you think things are that black and white then watch how Cyprus annihilated Bulgaria last night.

The idea that Irish fans expect the team to be like Chelsea, Arsenal or UTD is fanciful and extremely condescending - if you don't believe there is a middle ground between how Trap has us playing and how Arsenal play then what on earth can anyone here do for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Very silly post IMO.

Very naive and if you think things are that black and white then watch how Cyprus annihilated Bulgaria last night.

The idea that Irish fans expect the team to be like Chelsea, Arsenal or UTD is fanciful and extremely condescending - if you don't believe there is a middle ground between how Trap has us playing and how Arsenal play then what on earth can anyone here do for you?

good point, very good point, but one I thing I learned on boards is not to make comments directly at posters...it just brings down the level of conversation/arguments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

only1stevo wrote: »
    One fan

In my experience if one is like that he's never likely to be alone in his attitude

Trilla wrote: »
    good point, very good point, but one I thing I learned on boards is not to make comments directly at posters...it just brings down the level of conversation/arguments

I only attacked the post didn't I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

In my experience if one is like that he's never likely to be alone in his attitude

Ha maybe he didnt like the luck of you.
    He was obviously a bollix.

Your experience is wholly incorrect by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

Did anyone see the post match interview with Trapattoni last night? The constant questions about A. Reid appear to be getting to him just a bit. While I don't agree with the decision, it's probably one of the least cliche ridden reactions I've seen from an Irish manager in the last fifteen years. I'd gladly take another two years of that over the feeble results and "Ah well at the end of the day"'s of the last two managers. Nothing against them but there you go. Plus, I love listening to broken English especially when you get those creative "Be-bop" sentences you sometimes get with it.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

briany wrote: »
    Did anyone see the post match interview with Trapattoni last night? The constant questions about A. Reid appear to be getting to him just a bit. While I don't agree with the decision, it's probably one of the least cliche ridden reactions I've seen from an Irish manager in the last fifteen years. I'd gladly take another two years of that over the feeble results and "Ah well at the end of the day"'s of the last two managers. Nothing against them but there you go. Plus, I love listening to broken English especially when you get those creative "Be-bop" sentences you sometimes get with it.:P

He's great crack alright. You've got to like is confidence and honesty. He didn't try to mask his frustration about the question in the slightest - 'ah Tony! always questions about Andy Reid! :mad:'
    ha good man Trap

I remember when he was new in the job, some irishtimes journalist was saying that the way he talks to the press is like mana from heaven compared to the standard manager speak. So true.

• Advertisement
Advertisement