Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs. Italy - 10/10/09 **KO 8:00 PM** [mod warning post #160]

1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭deisedude

noodler wrote: »
    Very silly post IMO.

Very naive and if you think things are that black and white then watch how Cyprus annihilated Bulgaria last night.

The idea that Irish fans expect the team to be like Chelsea, Arsenal or UTD is fanciful and extremely condescending - if you don't believe there is a middle ground between how Trap has us playing and how Arsenal play then what on earth can anyone here do for you?

Oh mighty Cyprus, where are they going to finish in the group again? With the players at our disposal we can't play attractive passing football and win, simple as. I don't think my post was condescending, i do think we have unrealistic expectations and i gave a proposed reason why. We were struggling to beat fcucking San Marino under Stan and now we draw with the world champions and some people are acting as if its a bad result. If people expect us to have improved to a level where we can beat the best teams in the world by playing sexy football after being a laughing stock in the last qualifying campaign then they are naive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

deisedude wrote: »
    Oh mighty Cyprus, where are they going to finish in the group again? With the players at our disposal we can't play attractive passing football and win, simple as. I don't think my post was condescending, i do think we have unrealistic expectations and i gave a proposed reason why. We were struggling to beat fcucking San Marino under Stan and now we draw with the world champions and some people are acting as if its a bad result. If people expect us to have improved to a level where we can beat the best teams in the world by playing sexy football after being a laughing stock in the last qualifying campaign then they are naive

The manager has been pragmatic.

With this squad of players you cant have your cake and eat it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

deisedude wrote: »

I'm not expecting Ireland to go out and play like Arsenal, but they can certainly play better football than they are currently. The players we have at our disposal arent that bad but the team is just set up so negatively.

I dont care that much if we dont play attractive football as long as we get results but I dont think we've had many great results this campaign. The truth is that this years poor Italy team is probally still better than Ireland but they were there for the taking. In hindsight our group was one of the weakest. The only teams Ireland have beaten is Cyprus and Georgia. We should be beating a terrible Bulgaria team home and away and also Montenegro out there. We should have been sitting top going into the game on saturday. Trap only wants conservative football and I dont think its going to work in the playoffs.

I dont blame the players but the mentailty of the management. They are told to be passive and are only following orders. I dont want to be goin on a rant about andy reid. If he doesnt fit into traps starting plans thats his decision but to not have him as an option on the bench is madness. We had the players to be finishing top of this group. They didnt need to be world class!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Pro. F wrote: »
    I remember when he was new in the job, some irishtimes journalist was saying that the way he talks to the press is like mana from heaven compared to the standard manager speak. So true.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

mayordenis wrote: »
    Support was pretty embarresing - just shocking tbh after the 2nd goal for all of 3 minutes everyone got into it - other than me and my brother were just given condescending looks for standing and getting behind the team.

The same people then were the first the mutter abuse about that players when a pass was mi**** - I was honestly shocked it's been bad for a long time - but for such a massive game the effort of the majority was really really poor.

Support wasn't that bad stadium is too big for us I think Aviva Stadium will have a better atmosphere. There where a ton of Italiens sitting beside us with three behind shouting things at lippi the whole match And two to the right that we're cheering on Ireland.
    I thought we played well and while I expect us to be more like stoke then utd or Barca;), It would be unnatural for a supporter to be unhappy with a draw when a win was so close. A bit more experience will see us crowd the ball into the corner flag for the last few minutes next time.

Advertisement