Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs. Italy - 10/10/09 **KO 8:00 PM** [mod warning post #160]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

anyone hear anything about Darren Ferguson at Ireland's training sessions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

niallk wrote: »
    What about people who don't drink, kids and people who can't drink because of the presence of their teatotalling father who buys tickets for all the home games and thus they have to go when they'd rather be getting off their face and playing poker in a gaffe somewhere? (I'll leave it up to you to decipher which I am).
    Huh? What about them?

Seriously though, I think we're living up to the stereotype of being alcos by constantly having our matches on late to suit pubs and drinkers when most other countries have them early. TBH I'd rather just get the match out of the way and then get locked for the rest of the 2 days.

Sort your life out tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

You'd need to be drunk to watch that Ireland team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Des wrote: »

you dont have to be

but it helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Des wrote: »
    Just like most LOI teams.

Must be an Irish thing so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

niallk wrote: »
    Why can't Ireland at 3 o'clock on a saturday like a normal country?:mad:
    So inconvenient for match-goers. people living 7 hours ahead

FYP :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

All this talk of drinking in a soccer forum reminds me of that Apres Match sketch from WC 06 with the FAI heads imploring their colleagues in the bar to get the scoops on lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Xavi6 wrote: »

No sympathy with you, I wish i was back in Oz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Xavi6 wrote: »

try ten hours ahead!! speaking of which, when do the clocks go back an hour in ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

dubmick wrote: »

Has Trap called him up ahead of Andy Reid too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Just like most LOI teams.

Must be an Irish thing so...

430_zing.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I see Liam Lawrence is in line to start against Italy ahead of Stephen Hunt...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/8297958.stm

I'd be surprised at this, even though I really like Lawrence's recent form. Hunt however had a great match in Bari. If he goes with McGeady and Lawrence that's certainly a statement of intent although a slight gamble.

Hunt however had a great match in Bari.
    Although it's one of the very few games that he started in and actually had a good (or in this case great) game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I see Liam Lawrence is in line to start against Italy ahead of Stephen Hunt...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/8297958.stm

I'd be surprised at this, even though I really like Lawrence's recent form. Hunt however had a great match in Bari. If he goes with McGeady and Lawrence that's certainly a statement of intent although a slight gamble.

Nah prolly not playing strikers and going with a 4-6

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Drop McGeady for Lawrence imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭niallk

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Nah prolly not playing strikers and going with a 4-6
    8-2 FTW
    Would be 10-0-0 but for Il Trap's fondness for Whelan and Andrews:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I for one am happy the match is on at 8..always a much better atmosphere in stadiums when the night sky is out, I find.

Also, **** the stereotype - I'll be having a pint down the pub for it. Apart from the stands, no better way to watch.

To be honest I'd say we're looking at one goal from Ireland, and at least one from Italy - my heart says 1-1, but my head says 3-1 to Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭niallk

I'd actually prefer to be in the pub. The atmosphere in general is ****e at Ireland matches, big games aside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Croke Park doesnt help with the atmosphere.

Has any plans been made for opening friendlies or whatever when the new gaf gets opened?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Croke Park doesnt help with the atmosphere.

Has any plans been made for opening friendlies or whatever when the new gaf gets opened?
    Argies first game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

dubmick wrote: »

He was there as part of his training for a FIFA coaching license. You're required to shadow an existing International manager I think, and he asked Liam Brady if he could attend the training session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Also worth keeping an eye on Cyprus vs Bulgaria which takes place before our match. Bulgaria need to win or they'll hand us second place and both Italy and ourselves found that a very tricky place to go to.

Bulgaria have been poor enough in the group so far, and it's hard to see them winning in Cyprus, which as you say is a hard place to get a result (unfortunately the Cypriots aren't so hot away from home). If they do win, and we lose to Italy, that's going to put huge pressure on the Wednesday night's game. And I wouldn't be convinced that this Ireland team could get the win against a decent Montenegro team under that sort of pressure. Would be a disaster to lose 2nd spot now. Hopefully that Cypriots can do us a favour and hold Bulgaria. Then Trap and Lippi can have a cigar together and watch their teams kicking the ball back and over to each other! This game has 0-0 written all over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

No poll?

Italy win.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

desperately trying to find somewhere in Taiwan to watch this as ive no net in my hotel atm :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

No Cannovaro due to him being banned for falling a drugs test, surely good news for us!!

joe316 wrote: »
    No Cannovaro due to him being banned for falling a drugs test, surely good news for us!!
    Nooo. He's not playing because he's suspended.
    Although, he could yet still get a ban for failing a dope test.

Anybody know when the playoff draw takes place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

FIFA have to wait until after France have played their last couple of games to decide.
    There are rumours that if France pick up too many injuries it may yet be changed to a cook off.

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    FIFA have to wait until after France have played their last couple of games to decide.
    There are rumours that if France pick up too many injuries it may yet be changed to a cook off.
    Haha. :D

desperately trying to find somewhere in Taiwan to watch this as ive no net in my hotel atm :(

It sounds obvious enough but surely an irish pub?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

briany wrote: »
    It sounds obvious enough but surely an irish pub?

makes sense but im supposed to be going to my first work function and although its supposed to be considerd a "Western" bar were going to id say ill get stuck watching the England game. Atleast due to the way recent matches went i.e Italy being 5 points clear, this is not really a do or die match now and missing it wouldent be the end of the world.

I predict a 1-1 draw, which although we wont want it both teams will prob be happy with it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

I've nothing against the way Trappatoni has set us out all campaign but we're in for a hiding tomorrow. Probably 0-3.

I've nothing against the way Trappatoni has set us out all campaign but we're in for a hiding tomorrow. Probably 0-3.
    LOL. Trapattoni teams don't do hidings...

And in this campaign the most we've conceded in any game is 1 goal.

If you're really convinced of the 3-0 defeat you should really put some money on it. You'll get great odds. 22-1 in fact

22-1 isn't good odds for that, but thanks.

I honestly believe that we'll get a hiding tomorrow. And it won't be Traps fault. It's just that we're nowhere near the level Italy are at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I honestly believe that we'll get a hiding tomorrow. And it won't be Traps fault. It's just that we're nowhere near the level Italy are at.

Have you seen Italy play this campaign? They're not very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭secman

Or because we don't pick our best players !

Secman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1009/ireland.html

Lawrence to start.....Shay Given, John O'Shea, Richard Dunne, Sean St Ledger, Kevin Kilbane, Liam Lawrence, Glenn Whelan, Keith Andrews, Aidan McGeady, Kevin Doyle, Robbie Keane.

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Have you seen Italy play this campaign? They're not very good.

Yep I have.

They ain't playing 4-3-3 no more, just so you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

It's just that we're nowhere near the level Italy are at.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭secman

The compaints from the FAI and in particular John Delaney re the moving of the goalposts and Seeding the playoffs is astonishingly deafeneing ! Not a bleedin whisper, only heard Given and O'Shea saying how disgraceful the decision is. What is Delaney doing about it ? Sweet FA cos he doesn't want to rock the boat, no doubt he will line himself up for a cosy job in UEFA or FIFA in years to come.

Secman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

you obviously don't know where Italy are at.

3-0 is highly unlikely; but we'll see.

i reckon, unfortunately, 2-1 italy (my head).

but my heart says 1-0 ireland. with a monumental backs-to-the-wall performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

Nooo. He's not playing because he's suspended.
    Although, he could yet still get a ban for failing a dope test.

19th October

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Lawrence - Andrews - Whelan - McGeady

:(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭romah

Anyone else on the board that was at that match !!!

I was there but cant make Croke Park...:mad:

still remember Ray Houghton chipping in with his goal ... i was behind the italian goal and it seemed like the ball took forever to hit the net..

Great days...Jacks army ..

Yeah, wouldn't a one-nil to Ireland be great, y'know like a heroic type Jason Mcateer style epic goal in the seventieth minute and then some swashbuckling defensive displays from Ireland to freeze the Italians out. That would be great. Probably won't happen though. On a related topic, if the Bulgarians fail to do the deed in Cyprus then maybe we're in for a big Italian love-in in Croke Park. I kind of get this vision of Trapattoni sitting in the Italian dressing room singing "That's amore" with the players and reminiscing.:rolleyes:

Well if you're that sure it's as good as money in the bank.

There's only one problem with your prediction of 3-0 to Italy, and that is that it would involve the Italians having to leave their half on more than 3 occasions. Now considering they only need a draw to top the group that scenario is highly unlikely. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Please god let Cyprus win,we might get an entertaining game then with Ireland in all out attack mode.Well either entertainment or comedy gold:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Richard Dunne the big stocking to score a late winner :D 2 -1 Ireland :rolleyes:.
    O Shea receives the ball at the half way line, nutmegs De Rossi and Dunne latches on to the ball sprints around the Italian back 4 rounds Buffon and falls over the ball in dramatic fashion in the 90+6 mins added on due to Whealens harsh tackle on Pirlo, big pandemonium in the stands, happy days :D

Well if you're that sure it's as good as money in the bank.

There's only one problem with your prediction of 3-0 to Italy, and that is that it would involve the Italians having to leave their half on more than 3 occasions. Now considering they only need a draw to top the group that scenario is highly unlikely. ;)

It's more of a take on how bad we are rather than how good Italy are tbh.

It's more of a take on how bad we are rather than how good Italy are tbh.
    You're not making sense now. So you're saying that we are that bad that we'll concede 3 goals?
    How come we haven't conceded more than one in any of the games so far then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

0-0 or 1-1 IMO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement