Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs. Italy - 10/10/09 **KO 8:00 PM** [mod warning post #160]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Catenaccio! your a muppet, put money on Italy beating us by a 3 goal margin if your so sure! Ireland are far from great, but when was the least time we were beaten by 3 goals at a home match? please enlighten me?

12-08-2009Ireland Republic 0 - 3 Australia

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

The three nil beating from Australia left a bad taste in the mouth for sure. However, I'd much rather Ireland be a team that gets beaten in friendlies but doesn't get beaten in the games that really count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Don't know if this has been posted yet; probably has, but hey!

Official Starting Line-Up:

Given, O'Shea, Dunne St Leddger, Kilbane, Lawrence, Andrews, Whelan, McGeady, Doyle, Keane.

the only surprise is the inclusion of Lawrence; Hunt is probably justified in feeling a little hard done by.

but Lawrence does deserve a chance competitively. Trap is obviously eyeing some set-piece joy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Daysha wrote: »
    Lawrence - Andrews - Whelan - McGeady

:(:(:(

I was thinking that too. It's a far cry from the days of Houghton - Keane - Sheridan - Staunton

12-08-2009Ireland Republic 0 - 3 Australia

:(

Friendlies are meaningless, personally I think they're largely a waste of time other than as a bit of a bonding excercise, so I wouldn't worry too much about that result. If Ireland were playing the Aussies in a serious competitive game this weekend we would not lose 0-3, you can be pretty sure of that.

And I think some people on this thread are totally over-rating Italy. Sure, we're no great shakes at the moment, but neither are Italy. This is NOT a vintage Italian team by any means. They have eased through what turned out to be a very weak group.

Had they been in one of the tougher groups they might have struggled to qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

apologies I meant a competitive a match! a match that counts, not a meaningless friendly against Australia in Thomond Park!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

You don't get to play many games at International level. I don't think they're as meaningless as some people are suggesting here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Good to see Lawrence in there, he's been impressive for Stoke and has a bit more about him than Hunt creatively. Great chance for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Good to see Lawrence in there, he's been impressive for Stoke and has a bit more about him than Hunt creatively. Great chance for him.

Hunt off the bench for the last 20-25mins is not a bad thing either, will really give it a go i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The bickering on this thread stops now, or I will take steps to make sure it stops.

Consider this your only warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

aidan24326 wrote: »
    And I think some people on this thread are totally over-rating Italy. Sure, we're no great shakes at the moment, but neither are Italy. This is NOT a vintage Italian team by any means. They have eased through what turned out to be a very weak group.

Italy look at qualifiers in the same way you described ireland look at friendlies, and history has proven never to under estimate the italians.

as for the vintage comment, do you even watch Italian football before verbally slamming it?

Watching Ireland over the years the team as a whole always seem very influenced by whats going on around them, bad teams and they seem to play awful. Big challenges and they rise and play great at times. Never seems to be an in between, just awful or great..

Since its at home I hope for an Irish win as Scotland are mince and already out and would be nice to have a team to support at the WC..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I can see us snatching a win but it won't make much of a difference cause Italy won't drop points to Cyprus.

1-0 Doyle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Really excited about this match tomorrow. Trap has done a fantastic job with this group of lads to get us this far. Come on Ireland.:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Anyway whatever about the decisions anyone at this game tomorrow - sing and roar until you drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

mayordenis wrote: »
    Anyway whatever about the decisions anyone at this game tomorrow - sing and roar until you drop.
    Meeting the lads in town at 2:30 tomorrow so that won't be a problem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Idbatterim wrote: »
    apologies I meant a competitive a match! a match that counts, not a meaningless friendly against Australia in Thomond Park!

First off the venue is so irrevelant and second of all at international friendlies are far from irrevelant. This is where the fringe players show what they can do and the teams gel and play better as a unit. Its all about experience as a group and getting familiar with one another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

killwill wrote: »
    First off the venue is so irrevelant and second of all at international friendlies are far from irrevelant. This is where the fringe players show what they can do and the teams gel and play better as a unit. Its all about experience as a group and getting familiar with one another.

that says to me

the fringe players getting a chance to gel is important.

players showing what they can "do" (what ever that means) is important

players that almost never play together or train together throghout the year play better ? (than what? the last time they met? the last time they lined out in that exact formation against that oppisition?)

players gainging expirience and familiar with one another, IS important

BUT the result is not.

so eh? whats your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

ntlbell wrote: »
    that says to me

the fringe players getting a chance to gel is important.

players showing what they can "do" (what ever that means) is important

players that almost never play together or train together throghout the year play better ? (than what? the last time they met? the last time they lined out in that exact formation against that oppisition?)

players gainging expirience and familiar with one another, IS important

BUT the result is not.

so eh? whats your point?

Where did I say the result was not important? The more friendlies international players play together the better they will play as a team. I don't understand why that is so hard to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Big Chief wrote: »
    Italy look at qualifiers in the same way you described ireland look at friendlies, and history has proven never to under estimate the italians.

This.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

mayordenis wrote: »

Plus 10,000 man.

If people tell you to be quiet, sing loud enough for them aswell.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Plus 10,000 man.

If people tell you to be quiet, sing loud enough for them aswell.

Aye anyone who thinks there's a family/upper class section tomorrow needs to be droned out - big volume tomorrow - Croke Park had a decent atmosphere for a few games but tomorrow it could well do with being immense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Tell me about it.

Was playing 5-a-side today, the usual small talk before the game, mate says to me "Anything on for the match tomorrow? I was gonna go cuz my da got tickets from work, but hes taking my ma and by two little sisters!" Thought to myself, wow, Why does this happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

This is one of the few occasions where the Irish fans really have the opportunity to make a difference,80,000 people making noise can be intense.

All we need his a Delia Smith and Phil Brown half time duet.

but nah hoping in the car now, going to bog up your capital bitches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Are there any decent games on before this that would give me an excuse to hit the pub earlier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Are there any decent games on before this that would give me an excuse to hit the pub earlier?

Russia v Germany is a big game and on ESPN at around 4

It's on the plastic pitch where England met their doom too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

If only Kilbane hadn't fecked up in Dublin and Bulgaria. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

1-1 I'd imagine, with Italy scoring first.

Hopefully Cyprus will take something off Bulgaria and Ireland will have wrapped up the playoff spot before even taking the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Cracking atmosphere my hole. The crowd will be as shocking as the Irish centre midfield.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Cracking atmosphere my hole. The crowd will be as shocking as the Irish centre midfield.

Irelands midfield is fine, they don't have to play football,just watch the ball flying over and back above their heads.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Does anyone know if the RTE you get through Sky in Northern Ireland is allowed to show this game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Can someone list or tell me a place to have a look at the 2nd placed teams or potential second place teams?

To me it seems second place is ours (hopefully) but not a chance will cyprus take anything off Italy away from home. This seeding thing is bull**** it just annoys me more and more when I think about it.

I know I want portugal to loose anyways...

joe123 wrote: »
    Can someone list or tell me a place to have a look at the 2nd placed teams or potential second place teams?

To me it seems second place is ours (hopefully) but not a chance will cyprus take anything off Italy away from home. This seeding thing is bull**** it just annoys me more and more when I think about it.

I know I want portugal to loose anyways...

About half way down the article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_World_Cup_qualifiers#Summary_of_remaining_qualification

Going to the game myself. Gonna head into town at 3ish for pints :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

0 - 0 draw would be a great result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it's good to see such a large contingent of boards going to the match to lend your voices to the lads.

fair play to you all.

i just hope between the 80,000 of you, you can conjure up an atmosphere that can really become a 12th man.

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »

i just hope between the 80,000 of you, you can conjure up an atmosphere that can really become a 12th man.

I'll be tanked at that stage so I'll try my best! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

1-1 I'd imagine, with Italy scoring first.

Hopefully Cyprus will take something off Bulgaria and Ireland will have wrapped up the playoff spot before even taking the field.

Good point, if Cyprus take a point off Bulgaria then the result doesnt matter in Croker as Bulgaria cant overtake us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

kenco wrote: »
    Good point, if Cyprus take a point off Bulgaria then the result doesnt matter in Croker as Bulgaria cant overtake us.

Can Ireland not still win the group?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

dobsdave wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the RTE you get through Sky in Northern Ireland is allowed to show this game?

201314.jpg

I live in Dublin pay a licence fee and i have to use one of these in a 42" tv to watch RTE.

Assuming your close to the border should work for you :confused:

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Can Ireland not still win the group?

Yes they can but realistically I cant see Italy not taking at least a point of Cyprus no matter what we do (they have them at home as well)

Keep an eye out for the Greece/Latvia result as if Greece dont get the runner up spot we might well be the last of the top 4 seeds based on our higher world ranking compared to Latvia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

Ireland will score within ten minutes, then backs against the wall for maybe twenty minutes, Italy will then score two before the half time whistle. Italy will possibly score another two in second half. Ireland have been due a competitive game hammering for some time. Ireland 1 Italy 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Are you saying if Greece lose to Lativa they will not get 2nd place?

Are you saying if Greece lose to Lativa they will not get 2nd place?

Not quite but it would but them in a strong position to beat Greece to the second spot. They are on the same points now and both have realtively easy home games to finish with (i.e. Luxembourg and Moldova). Goal difference is very tight so even a draw for Latvia today gives them a good chance for second spot. A win should mean they are OK but then again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

its a good job ireland are playing this evening as if they weren't i wouldn't have a hope of getting my college assignment done!

*yawn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

kenco wrote: »
    Not quite but it would but them in a strong position to beat Greece to the second spot. They are on the same points now and both have realtively easy home games to finish with (i.e. Luxembourg and Moldova). Goal difference is very tight so even a draw for Latvia today gives them a good chance for second spot. A win should mean they are OK but then again

Ah I see, cheers for that, didn't know that until now. should be interesting so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

Are any of you all going to watch a stream of the Cyprus vs. Bulgaria match later on today? I don't think I need to stress that result of that match has some bearing on our game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

briany wrote: »
    Are any of you all going to watch a stream of the Cyprus vs. Bulgaria match later on today, I don't think I need to stress that result of that match has some bearing on our game.

Definitely. I'll be tuning in

briany wrote: »
    Are any of you all going to watch a stream of the Cyprus vs. Bulgaria match later on today, I don't think I need to stress that result of that match has some bearing on our game.

If this result goes Irelands way,I assume Ireland will go hell for leather for a win,and will make for a much better game,after all they'll have nothing to lose.

dreamers75 wrote: »

I live in Dublin pay a licence fee and i have to use one of these in a 42" tv to watch RTE.

Assuming your close to the border should work for you :confused:

Yep they will work but not great,I have RTE on SKY also.
    Some programs (e.g RTE premier league highlights on Saturdays) are blocked on the NI SKY card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

If this result goes Irelands way,I assume Ireland will go hell for leather for a win,and will make for a much better game,after all they'll have nothing to lose.

I actually reckon the opposite. If Ireland are guaranteed 2nd place in the group before the game kicks off then I can only see the two teams just going through the motions and taking a point each which will be enough.

I hope we go for the win but as long as we get second place sorted I'm not too bothered.

• Advertisement
Advertisement