Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland vs. Italy - 10/10/09 **KO 8:00 PM** [mod warning post #160]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I actually reckon the opposite. If Ireland are guaranteed 2nd place in the group before the game kicks off then I can only see the two teams just going through the motions and taking a point each which will be enough.

I hope we go for the win but as long as we get second place sorted I'm not too bothered.

But as long as there is any hope of automatic qualification then they should try their best to achieve this. It may not be very likely but its possible all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

Sorry bit OT but first time at croker later, anyone know a good pub around before to soak up atmosphere? Been warned to miss players lounge as it's a kip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

I actually reckon the opposite. If Ireland are guaranteed 2nd place in the group before the game kicks off then I can only see the two teams just going through the motions and taking a point each which will be enough.

This would be madness with the possibility of topping the group still alive and a terrible disservice to the 80000 paying fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Ireland have to beat Italy. Taking second place, when first is mathematically available would be a "phone it in" exercise. As fans we deserve better then to watch out team settle.

Ideally, i would like Cyrpus to sort Bulgaria out, which would guarantee our participation beyond this round of games, however, I would like to see Ireland buck the trend, no matter how poor we are, and actually go for something which may seem unnatainable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Let's be honest lads, Italy are going to beat Cyprus at home. It's practically nailed on. They comfortably sorted out Bulgaria there so what chance have the Cypriots got, who won't have anything on the line?

If Lippi goes to Trap prior to the game and, shall we say, gives him one of these => ;), then I personally wouldn't have a problem with Trap giving him a ;) right back.

If Bulgaria fail to beat Cyprus then we just need the point to guarantee the play-off spot. To be honest I'd rather have the point before the Montenegro game as I could easily see Trap play for the draw against them which would be risky business.

It's all ifs and buts I guess. Let's just hope Cyprus do us one favour at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

A draw would be good enough for both teams and it's two Italian managers in charge? I can't see anything other than a gentleman's agreement pre match leading to a completely dead game where neither team ventures over the halfway line. 0-0

In terms of our team in the long run, i think Lawrence's inclusion could be a very good thing going forward. At the moment we're tough to score against, Lawrence could turn us into a proper threat at set pieces - that would be a useful enough combination to be getting on with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

If Lippi goes to Trap prior to the game and, shall we say, gives him one of these => ;), then I personally wouldn't have a problem with Trap giving him a ;) right back.

:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Pro. F wrote: »
    Lawrence could turn us into a proper threat

Sorry but......hahaha haha hahahahahaha;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I expect Italy to play it around for the first 15 minutes, then press us. The best way for them to guarantee a draw is to score first. I can not see them looking for a 0-0.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

This fixture is meaningless.
    Even if we beat Italy 5-0 they only need to draw at home to Cyprus to win group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭deisedude

darkman2 wrote: »
    Sorry but......hahaha haha hahahahahaha;)

You are misquoting Pro F. He said "threat at set pieces". Lawrence is by far the best freetaker in the squad. Whats to laugh about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

jayteecork wrote: »
    This fixture is meaningless.
    Even if we beat Italy 5-0 they only need to draw at home to Cyprus to win group.

I see Maths aren't exactly your strong point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

If Bulgaria don't get a result then we should go all out for a win. Anything else is just stupidity. Yeah it's unlikely Cyprus will get a draw in Italy but there is always a chance and while we can mathematically do it we should go for it.

Also, the seedings will be decided on World rankings. I am not sure exactly how they calculate them or if it will matter but beating Italy will help out our rankings and may make the difference between getting seeded or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Be nice to win, but Italy need a draw and no better buachaill's to ensure that is the only probable outcome.

I would love to think that we might put it up them at home but I think there is a big diff in our performances for crunch games in Landsdowne as opposed to Croker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

cooker3 wrote: »
    Also, the seedings will be decided on World rankings. I am not sure exactly how they calculate them or if it will matter but beating Italy will help out our rankings and may make the difference between getting seeded or not.

I may be wrong but I think that it will be based on the world rankings as they are now. I think they only update the world rankings periodically so I doubt this would have a bearing on our ranking. I may be wrong though.

Either way though, Ireland should be attacking Italy and trying to win even if it is highly unlikely that we could finish first. A good result against Italy will lift the team ahead of the playoffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I think not losing is the main motivating factor for both sides.
    Given the predisposition Italy have towards defensive football and the fact that Trap has brought that into our game it's hard to see beyond a 0-0.
    That I would say is the best we can hope for, I'm just praying we don't implode and lose our last two games leaving our destiny in the hands of others.
    We should make the play offs, but with recent developments it's hard to see us getting any further.
    The net result of this campaign will be to push us up the seedings and give us a better chance in our next campaign for the Euros as I feel we're still not at World Cup standard just yet and would be found out in a play off.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

nullzero wrote: »
    Given the predisposition Italy have towards defensive football and the fact that Trap has brought that into our game it's hard to see beyond a 0-0.

What has Super Shay got to do with the Italians defensive style of football?? :pac:

/runs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Just watching Germany v Russia either of these teams would kills us in the play-offs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Big Knox wrote: »
    What has Super Shay got to do with the Italians defensive style of football?? :pac:

/runs

Who?
    Shay "Catenaccio" Given?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭deisedude

emc2 wrote: »
    Just watching Germany v Russia either of these teams would kills us in the play-offs.

Yep savage game too

• Advertisement

emc2 wrote: »

Yeah they're on another planet in terms of technical ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Archimedes wrote: »
    I see Maths aren't exactly your strong point.

I see grammar isn't yours. :pac:

On topic, C'mon Ireland. 1-0. Score in the first 10 and backs to the ropes for the remaining 80.

I may be wrong but I think that it will be based on the world rankings as they are now. I think they only update the world rankings periodically so I doubt this would have a bearing on our ranking. I may be wrong though.

Either way though, Ireland should be attacking Italy and trying to win even if it is highly unlikely that we could finish first. A good result against Italy will lift the team ahead of the playoffs.

I have been looking up some wikipedia articles. The draw for the play-off will be on October 19th which is based on the rankings released October 16th. So these matches will matter. I had a look at the ranking algorithm and by my rough calculations. If we win we get 147 ranking points, which if all else remains the same(obviously I know it will not) would move us from 38th to 17th.

Considering we have 743 points, 147 is a fairly huge increase so if nothing else matters, trying to better our chances for seeding makes going all out for the win a no brainer if Bulgaria don't beat Cyprus.

Duff wrote: »
    I see grammar is'nt yours. :pac:

Don't you mean isn't?

Amateur mistake.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Miap

Come on Ireland a win in this game will give our confidence a great boost and if we end up in the plays off rather than qualify directly itl have been a lesson to the team that they can beat big teams!!! Which will not be a bad thing football is afterall a lot about confidence!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Archimedes wrote: »
    Don't you mean "isn't"?

Amateur mistake.

:)

;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

I have been looking up some wikipedia articles. The draw for the play-off will be on October 19th which is based on the rankings released October 16th. So these matches will matter. I had a look at the ranking algorithm and by my rough calculations. If we win we get 147 ranking points, which if all else remains the same(obviously I know it will not) would move us from 38th to 17th.

Considering we have 743 points, 147 is a fairly huge increase so if nothing else matters, trying to better our chances for seeding makes going all out for the win a no brainer if Bulgaria don't beat Cyprus.
    Means feck all, the other teams going to the playoffs will be winning games or miles ahead in the rankings already.

Germany won't be in the playoffs after beating Russia 1 - 0. Germany strong.
    2h7qi50.jpg

Anyone fancy a trip to Moscow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

darkman2 wrote: »
    Anyone fancy a trip to Moscow?

so we can be arsh-ed on?

no thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

Cyprus one up according to live scores. I can't find a bloody stream on this game!:mad:

• Advertisement

Just to show you what the weather can be like in Moscow in November

:/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

CYYYPPPPRRRIIOOOTTTTSSS!!!!!!!

1-0.

Hopefully the first of two big results for Cyprus this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

if Cyrpus win it will surely be a nothing game tonight

although the rivalry between Trap and Lipp may prove me wrong

8ofSpades wrote: »
    if Cyrpus win it will surely be a nothing game tonight

although the rivalry between Trap and Lipp may prove me wrong

Why would we settle for a draw if theres no penalty for losing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Cyprus 2 up now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

CYPRUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS 2-0

Come on Cyprus!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

ha.

this is f***ing hilarious.

trap will be sipping his favourite wine right about now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

where are you all watching this?

• Advertisement

Mammoth task for Bulgaria to come back from that. G'wan you Cypriot beauties! :)

SlickRic wrote: »
    ha.

this is f***ing hilarious.

trap will be sipping his favourite wine right about now.

He shouldn't be! I reckon Italy drawing at home to Cyrpus is more probable than one of Trap's teams beating one of the top seeds in a play-off battle for WCQ.

briany wrote: »
    where are you all watching this?

Not, SSN just telling me.

Italy starting line-up:

Buffon

Zambrotta Legrottaglie Chiellini Grosso

Palombo De Rossi

Camoranesi Pirlo Di Natale

Iaquinta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

So the team that beat us 5-2 are going to be the team that ensure we qualify for the play-offs 2 years later?

It's a funny ol' game!

CHD wrote: »
    Means feck all, the other teams going to the playoffs will be winning games or miles ahead in the rankings already.

You have no idea how it will go tonight with other teams. It's impossible to say because there are so many variables related to who is bottom or not, which teams are in 2nd and so on But the higher the ranking of the country the more points on offer so we will get the highest points of anyone (unless armenia beat Spain)

The point I was making is (especially as Cyprus are helping us out) is settling for a draw is madness and serves no purpose whatsoever. If worst comes to the worst and we lose, still just need a draw at home to Montenegro. We don't get that we don't deserve to go to South Africa.

• Advertisement

If it is still 2-0 to Cyprus ant halftime then forget about it.

I don't give many teams much chance of scoring 3 second half goals against a motivated Cyrpus, nevermind a demotivated Bulgaria.

The point I was making is (especially as Cyprus are helping us out) is settling for a draw is madness and serves no purpose whatsoever. If worst comes to the worst and we lose, still just need a draw at home to Montenegro. We don't get that we don't deserve to go to South Africa.

I don't think it's madness. If the Italians are willing to settle for a draw then why rock the boat and end up on the end of a thrashing? People seem to forget how absolutely atrocious we were in Cyprus and that we have a central midifeld of Whelan and Andrews going up against the likes of Pirlo and De Rossi.

If the Italians want to comfortably beat us then they will. Simple as. If they are willing to 'phone it in' then I'd say it would be madness to antagonise them.

It's like in Deal or No Deal. Sometimes it's tempting to go on and try and get the big money but likewise sometimes it's best just to take the deal on offer rather than go home with little to nothing.

I don't think it's madness. If the Italians are willing to settle for a draw then why rock the boat and end up on the end of a thrashing? People seem to forget how absolutely atrocious we were in Cyprus and that we have a central midifeld of Whelan and Andrews going up against the likes of Pirlo and De Rossi.

If the Italians want to comfortably beat us then they will. Simple as. If they are willing to 'phone it in' then I'd say it would be madness to antagonise them.

It's like in Deal or No Deal. Sometimes it's tempting to go on and try and get the big money but likewise sometimes it's best just tot ake the deal on ofer rather than go home with little to nothing.

Right, but when you consider that this is football an not some sh!te game show hosted by Noel Edmonds, that kind of debunks your theory.

Nobody expected a draw in Bari, but we got it. Bottom line is, much like American Football, any given Saturday.....

It's like in Deal or No Deal. Sometimes it's tempting to go on and try and get the big money but likewise sometimes it's best just to take the deal on offer rather than go home with little to nothing.

If we can't even show some ambition in a situation like this then what is the point of the game?

Honestly, no offense but I think that is absolutely absurd.

Analogy doesn't work.
    Winning is a huge upside in terms of chance of winning the group, world rankings, beating the world champions everything.
    Draw and a loss are virtually the same, only slight difference is instead of the Montenegro match being meaningless, we will need a draw. We should be getting at least a draw 100% of the time. If we don't then as I said we never deserved to go in the first place.

Heading in now to watch it.
    Come on Ireland!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement