Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non Drinking Events / Meetups?

Options
  • 07-10-2009 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any ideas? Seems that every time I go out lately I'm surrounded by people guzzling the drink! Really want to get out there and do something for the sake of 'doing' it, and not for the sake of drinking (or for the sake of everyone ELSE drinking!). Come on folks, we all used to do loads of stuff here before!

I'll start - how about ballroom dancing? I've always wanted to give it a shot, as I think I'd be ok at it, and every year around this time, for some strange reason *cough* I get the idea. Anyone fancy it?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hmm, what can we do with the autumn/winter kicking in? Previously we've done cinema, walks, quizzes, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Now that it's cold, maybe we could all meet up for a group run! Though I'm not a runner so I'd be knackered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭wildsaffy

Both my husband and I are interested in non guzzling events. He would love a quiz. I would love to dance - ballroom - hip hop - count me in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭Karen_*

I think there's painballing for eight euro in Wicklow. Have a look on ticketmaster - anyone interested? Could get some grub after or something.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Sounds good. We might need a few extra bodies for paintballing, though?

• Advertisement

Yeah paintballing is a good idea and we would need quite a few people for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭Karen_*

www.skirmish.ie

Have a look at it. They are selling tickets for 8 euro on ticketmaster. I get the impression that you would have people to play against if you went on your own. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see is there a minimum needed :D Might be a vibe!

Or a day trip on the sea cat to wales anyone?

Ta.

I went on a day trip to Wales a few years back, was good. Only thing is you'd be relying on the weather to be OK for the ferry. We went from Rosslare last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Stones85

I'd be up for something in the south dublin/wicklow area. I dont mind goin to bars and not drinking. Its quite funny to watch people me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Myself and my partner would be up for paintballing or dancing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

You guys are very ambitious! If I hadn't read the forum title I'd think you were all Pissed!;)

Bowling is a natural 'first' for these things. Much less blood sweat and tears. At least you'll include more people and you could round up paintballers at the bowling.

I cant attend, I'm drinking all that day....:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 susiej1981

hey guys, Im new on this. I'd love to meet some non drinkers too. I need to give up for health reasons but I'm struggling as all my friends drink. I'm up for anything really. Im 28 and based in Celbridge. Love the outdoors, live music, films, dancing, photography, writing etc..will try anything once..Just wanna have a plan at the weekends so I'm not lured into a pub full of drunks...Need to start getting more active with my social life...any ideas and invites welcome

thanks a mil...

I'd be definitely up for bowling... I too think it might be a good way of discussing other future events. Been a few years since I've gone bowling though, so I might need a few practise shots!

Or what about a cross-forum bowling meet-up? The Non-Drinkers VS the..I dunno, Emergency Services? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Cloudy Bay

Susie, love to meet up, moved to Celbridge fairly recently but dont know too many people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭wildsaffy

Ok - here's an idea - how about a massive - non p*ss up christmas party?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 susiej1981

well there is funky seomra...on next Sat but if you wanna organise a party Id be up for it..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Skirmish is good fun, been a few times with school friends. Not sure how it is now but was last there around a year ago.

I'm pretty sure another group turned up somewhere along the line each time I played. We did have our own small 'private' game before a class of Spanish students arrived once but maybe that was because one of us was an employee. Either way, we played against them for the rest of the session.

I do remember it being fairly expensive though. That and the guns can very from barely working to so good it'll leave some bad bruises. You'd really want to be following the rules too, they're very no non-sense about it. You probably shouldn't wear your good clothes either.

Good fun all the same and has reminded me why I should never ever be a soldier. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭up the town

Hey Susie, Cloudy Bay I too live in Cellbridge due to work. Im not from the area so dont know too many people. I would love to meet up some evening for a coffee or something, anything. It can be very hard to meet new people in a new town when you dont drink. Feel free to PM me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭DarkSeraphim

Hi All,

I read down through the thread.. I think it is a great idea but it seems to have fallen through so i thought i would comment with some interest and hopefully get the ball back rolling.

I am also a non drinker. There is plenty of stuff we can do:

Cinema then a coffee house afterwards. (film can be a great conversation starter)

Bowling as mentioned above.

ice skating

Paint balling

I will come back with more ideas

I am from Dun Laoghaire but i am good to travel abit.

Any Interest? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Feeonaw

I just posted a thread about this but thought I should mention it here too! I have some friends that went to previous Funky Seomra's and they said it was amazing! :) yiz should arrange a meet up here! it's perfect! and what's even better is that they're on all the time. you can join up on facebook...there's a group already set-up. when I started up this Non Drinker's Group forum on boards this was kinda what I had in mind eventually but I didn't get around to it and to be honest - it's WAY better then anything I could have done! :) haha! see for yourselves! it's brilliant!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/event.php?eid=212240731980&ref=ts

FUNKY SEOMRA!
    RDS, Dublin
    NEW YEARS EVE!
    Alcohol and drug free festival nightclub

Where: RDS Concert Hall
    When: NEW YEARS EVE
    THURSDAY DECEMBER 31st 2009
    Times: 8pm - 1.30am
    Cost: 15 euro

special guest DJ to be announced soon!!
    live music with DJ
    new art zone
    new play zone

a celebration to remember

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 kieranoduill

I hate drink myself,
    as Ian Paisley says its the 'devil's buttermilk'!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SuperCereal

OK so someone realy has to get this thing pff the ground.

Im going ice skating this Sunday in Liffey Valley.

Also I run in the park frequently so if anyone fancies a drink free but chilly run PM me and we canarrange. Perhaps it could be a regular event like every Wedneasday night meet at 7 park gate phoenix park for gentke jog and the a herbal tea afterwards to be social in the warm?

If you join Cineworld for 20/month its unlimited movies, Boards non drinkers could do this and go all the time. Perhaps for non runners a Wed nite in the cinema would be more appealing but we still all go to the same place for tea and chats?

The tea Garden on the quays very very very close to the Morrisson is a non alcohol extablishment only doing lovely teas from around the world and alright coffee plus interesting snacks. Tea can cost between 5 to 15 euro but you get what you pay for andd can be in there for hours with just one cuppa. They alsso have turkish pipes so you can smoke flavoured tobaccco like blackberry or even pineapple. For some reason its ok to smoke these pipes indooors.

What else was suggested? Hill Walking? I have a car and car take up to 3 poassengers to the Wicklow mountans on Sundays. Meeting point Earlsfort Terrace at 10am every Sunday? Say an hour drive, 2-4 hours trekking, bring a packed lunch, back in town by 4 or 5, a great day out.

Funky Seomra sounds delightful. I for one cant wait.

Anyone interested in starting a book club? (we can always play board games while discussing the books)

Finally, I know its a bit pricey and requirres a lot of time and plannig but I really want to start surfing, boards non drinkers weekends away to westport to surf?

Seriously non drinkers if anyone is interested let me know and we can get things sarted.

I already dont drink and do run, read, drink tea, wactch films and dance so im highly suitable for nearly all of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ciaran187

SuperCereal - You might be on to something there. I've been surfing 3 times (correction - I've gone sufting 3 times - only once was I in the warer, too stormy to let beginners out).

Turn'n'Surf have surf lodges in Bundoran and in Sligo (Strandhill I think). They're brilliant. Got a surf lesson from them and he kept us out there for hours. Turfnsurf.ie is their site i think.

Myself and the girlfriend go camping on Achill Island a good bit over the Summer too. We're planning on doing a few camping / surfing trips along the west coast this summer over weekends if anyone is up for it? I'm sure if we get a group we can get a discount on surfing lessons.

By the way - it's not that hard and it's amazing!

Hey thats excelllent Ciaran,

I'd be well up for surf excursions despite my, to date, zero experience. Is anyone else interested? Shall I have a look at the surfing forum on here and see if I can attract interest or is that against the boards rules? Crossing over subjects?

I for one would enjoy going surfing/camping with no booze but if drinkers wanted to come would that negate the point?

Anyways, when interest is established or eliminated perhaps we should have tea in Dublin and make proper plans.

Ill be more than free from March 11th onwards for trips away but can meet for planning well before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I'm off from March 12th to around the 20th so I might be available. I'm not sure yet but for now put me down as a maybe SC. Like you, I have absolutely zero experience but I've always wanted to try it. :)

If not surfing, then I would go camping.

I vote for a seperate thread to organise this trip. I'm planning on getting surf lessons this summer anyway so I'm in.

Ok so now we have three ciaran, myself and -0-, hope I got the thrid one right. Oh plus Ciaran's girlfriend thats 4. I have a car, a wet suit and a tent.

Lets def start up a new thread and get working on it. Im very excited. We should make a decision on whethers drinkers are welcome too. I have a few freinds who would be interested but not so sure they would give up on booze for 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 bounci

new here. would love this too count me in, have no experience but love the idea of meeting other non drinkers and havin a bit of fun, trying something new. I kite board so could bring the gear and maybe give you guys a bit of a lesson.

With the surfing event now being dealt with on a seperate thread, I'm free to ask a random question!

Anyone interested in photography? With the outings etc it would be great to have people snapping away. Email the photos around to the group / get a sticky thread or a Picassa account for photos etc.

I love photography but never get the opportunity. If I'm out I can't bring the camera with me (it's a fancy digital SLR) so afraid to leave it down. Mountain walks, surfing etc would make for some amazing photos.

Anyone else into this? Would be great to have a few different perspectives of one trip.

• Advertisement

I've an interest in photography, but rarely get near it and don't really know anything about it on a technical level so I'd be interested in learning.

Surfing would be good craic, alright.

Advertisement