Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Zealand

Options
  • 07-10-2009 4:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

Lads going in Feb, just wondering:

How long does it take for WHV?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

To do what? Bout 2 weeks to get when I got it, but they may be slowing them down due to recession. Have to use them with in a year from when you get them. They last a year. Would take about 15 seconds to eat seeing as they're quite small.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Delorian wrote: »
    To do what? Bout 2 weeks to get when I got it, but they may be slowing them down due to recession. Have to use them with in a year from when you get them. They last a year. Would take about 15 seconds to eat seeing as they're quite small.

Cheers Delorian, and how much is it?

Whats this business of applying for a work permit after arrival?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭poggy

he got mine during the summer also going in feb, took about 48 hours to get and about a week to post it out, cost roughly 200 euro but depends because they charge in english pounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Gypo

poggy wrote: »
    he got mine during the summer also going in feb, took about 48 hours to get and about a week to post it out, cost roughly 200 euro but depends because they charge in english pounds.

Same here, got the email within 48 hours which I just printed out and brought with me. As far as I remember is was 120 Euro at the time.

Erm, think mine was cheaper than all this, like 50 Euro, yeah, $120. And didn't have to print anything, they had it all on computer when I arrived. However I did to be sure. Just look into it cos I'm fairly sure it was $120 earlier this year.

Also, getting it when you're here is fine. Just go into the office in Welly, queue, pay, etc. Not sure how long it takes or if you get it straight away or if you have to go in person to Welly (government city), but my mate did it, and it was painless enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭spectre

Erm, think mine was cheaper than all this, like 50 Euro, yeah, $120. And didn't have to print anything, they had it all on computer when I arrived. However I did to be sure. Just look into it cos I'm fairly sure it was $120 earlier this year.

Also, getting it when you're here is fine. Just go into the office in Welly, queue, pay, etc. Not sure how long it takes or if you get it straight away or if you have to go in person to Welly (government city), but my mate did it, and it was painless enough.

Where did you get your visa Delorian? I know USIT do them but I'd rather not do business with them if possible.

Are you saying it's possible to arrive without any visa and apply for one when I get there?

spectre wrote: »
    Where did you get your visa Delorian? I know USIT do them but I'd rather not do business with them if possible.

Are you saying it's possible to arrive without any visa and apply for one when I get there?

I got mine from the NZ website. Why would you go through a middle man and have to pay them?

Am trying to think... yes, I am 90% sure you can arrive with nothing, get a holiday visa when you arrive which means you can't work and can only stay here for 90 days, and then can apply for a working holiday here.

However, check all this obviously. The immigration site is pretty good. Don't ever go near USIT or middle men for visa's and things unless you really have to. I heard for Canada you have to. Don't see how they could do this, but that's awful if they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭spectre

I got mine from the NZ website. Why would you go through a middle man and have to pay them?

Am trying to think... yes, I am 90% sure you can arrive with nothing, get a holiday visa when you arrive which means you can't work and can only stay here for 90 days, and then can apply for a working holiday here.

However, check all this obviously. The immigration site is pretty good. Don't ever go near USIT or middle men for visa's and things unless you really have to. I heard for Canada you have to. Don't see how they could do this, but that's awful if they can.

Thanks man. I've had a look at the website, looks pretty straight forward. Definitely prefer to do it myself rather than get fleeced by USIT. I'll apply in the next few days I think. Planing on heading over in January. Can't wait

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Remember you must get your visa in the country of your passport. If you are in OZ at the mo I dont think you can jump over the pond and start there. Well maybe you can but you are not ment to and they do check that stuff.

jank wrote: »
    Remember you must get your visa in the country of your passport. If you are in OZ at the mo I dont think you can jump over the pond and start there. Well maybe you can but you are not ment to and they do check that stuff.

Are you sure? I dont see anything about this......granted i havent looked very hard.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

After looking on the INZ website I cant find that but I do remember seeing something on either Usit or Sayit that said something to that effect although it may have been only for OZ.

EDIT:

See here

http://www.sayit.ie/australiainner.asp?TableName=Australia&SubTableName=Visas

Although this may be only to satisfy Sayits money grabbing hands rather than INZ.

Ah yeah, that dosnt hold much water
    So for the record you dont have to be in Ireland. I got a fright when i read that earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 shanem152

I got my visa the other day from this site

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/workingholiday/irelandworkingholidayscheme.htm

140$ about 83 euro.

its WHV so im just wondering about what this allows me in terms of employment, ive been applying for jobs to do with my degree on seek.com, related to economics primarily. But is this work allowed

Lets say I find a great job I want, but they want me for more then a year, how do I know if i can apply to be a skilled migrant or sponsored or..how exactly does this part of all work

Cheers...

Advertisement