Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a room in Melbourne ??

Options
  • 07-10-2009 6:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of any other websites that are good for renting a room / apt share other than gumtree? I've a pain in my face looking at gumtree, been to see a few rooms, but the competion seems pretty fierce, ringing people leaving messages etc, not getting calls back, managed to land a job easier then find a place to live! granted i am being particular about where i want live.... yes, you guessed it.... st kilda!

Starting to get worried that we're heading into the summer months, and whole load more backpackers arriving!

Also i really cant bring myself to share a room, with someone i dont know :eek: just while working full time etc, be nice to have a room to myself!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Competition will be fierce for most places in Saint Kilda as that's where almost all backpackers decide to congregate. If you expanded your horizons a little bit and even checked out places along the tram route to Saint Kilda, such as Windsor, Prahran, South Yarra, Richmond, you'd probably have a lot more luck, all of which are better areas than Saint Kilda imho.
    Personally, I think you'd be crazy to discount the northern inner-city areas too, such as Collingwood and Carlton, all fantastic areas to live in with so much going on.

Regardless, another website you could use would be flatmatefinders.com.au, I got a few good leads out of using it before finding a place in Richmond on Gumtree!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

if ytou had've been on here last week i woulda helped ya, or even gone halves with ya on a place. (could also be looking again soon enough - see my AH thread ;))

If ur looking for a studio, check out jackson apartments.
    theres also a notice board across from safeway which i think has lotsa apartments for rent. theres also another noticeboard in the dry cleaners beside Base.

you're guaranteed to get somewhere on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭IrishEmperor

B Man > I would've gone splits with ya, but I had been looking with a couple of German & Danish dudes & all we were met with was loadsa 12 months lease restrictions & unfurnished troll-holes.

I'm living in Collingwood now & loving it :)
    + that was through Gumtree

but check out http://www.realestate.com.au/ too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

www.flatmatefinders.com.au found my place through it and I actually had people ringing me asking if I was still looking it was really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

Check hostels too - base have a great noticeboard with lots of apts on it (well, there was last week i was there)

Im living in St Kilda in a share house with 40 other people, share my room with 2 other girls and pay $130... its the address you pay for. In saying that, i have mates who are paying $150 for their own room in a 2bed apt.

I saw some DIVES when looking, just keep looking and even if you have to stay in a share room for a while, do - you meet loads of people in sharehouses and its great introduction to ozzy life!!

Bear in mind though Summer is coming and rent is rising!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

If you can sign a 6+ month lease and afford to get furniture then you can expect to pay the same or less for your own room than you will to share a room in a typical backpacker house.

We got a decent place on the infamous Grey street, next to the Coffee Palace hostel. The whole block is 2 bedroom apartments based on 4 sharing I think it was $100 a week each. Dont have the number but check the front door there there is usually a few notices up re: rooms and apartments going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

supermouse wrote: »
    Check hostels too - base have a great noticeboard with lots of apts on it (well, there was last week i was there)

Im living in St Kilda in a share house with 40 other people, share my room with 2 other girls and pay $130... its the address you pay for. In saying that, i have mates who are paying $150 for their own room in a 2bed apt.

I saw some DIVES when looking, just keep looking and even if you have to stay in a share room for a while, do - you meet loads of people in sharehouses and its great introduction to ozzy life!!

Bear in mind though Summer is coming and rent is rising!! :(

Jesus that is $390 for one room per week? We rented a house in Moonee Ponds for $360 a week. This had 2 Bedrooms.

So I reckon once the house gets built ,I go around renting out houses with the wife in St Kilda once I get them. I then rent out the rooms to Back packers. So even if the rent was 420 a week. I come out (thinking 360*2=720-420=300) 300 A week.

So after three 2 Bed houses I'm on (Thinking 300*4=1200*3= ) $3600 A month Tax free. :)

There is something about sub letting in contracts which makes this a non starter but its small and in the back

yup - its ridiculous!! Our landlord earns over 5k a WEEK from us and rent is going up in November!!!!

In fairness though, the craic is mighty and its a fab place to meet people but after 3 months im ready to move on - need to as well, my pocket cant take much more!!

supermouse wrote: »
    In fairness though, the craic is mighty and its a fab place to meet people but after 3 months im ready to move on - need to as well, my pocket cant take much more!!

How many rooms in this house of 40 ? And is the place decent or some old weatherboard McMansion

There is 13 rooms, some have 2 and others have 3 and 4 in each. The house is ok like... nice living areas and kitchen, rooms could do with updating!

Rent should be $80 TOPS!!!!! Maybe $100 for those in the twin rooms.

• Advertisement

Sounds like he is running an unlicensed Hostel?

Is there a bar?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

****in hell, 40 people in a house, sounds like hell on earth. Weve been renting a beautiful three bed, 2 storey house with a pool by the beach in Queensland for 400 a week. Heading to Melbourne next week, sounds like its gonna be a little more expensive.

CiaranC wrote: »
    ****in hell, 40 people in a house, sounds like hell on earth. Weve been renting a beautiful three bed, 2 storey house with a pool by the beach in Queensland for 400 a week. Heading to Melbourne next week, sounds like its gonna be a little more expensive.

Bloody hell thats good is it availible for week by week rental?

Might be an idea for a Cheap holiday next year.

Advertisement