Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just upgraded to Eircom 7mb line

• 07-10-2009 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi All,

I just upgraded to 7Mb line from a 3Mb line. Unfortunately when I check my router I am only connected at 5470/384 with a line attunation of 19/11 db. SN Margin is 6.00 on download and 12.00 on upload. No CRC errors on download 2 on upload, i am about 2km from the exchange with little to no contention on the line. Shouldn't i be expected a better speed.

Regards

Gavin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

GavinH wrote: »
    Hi All,

I just upgraded to 7Mb line from a 3Mb line. Unfortunately when I check my router I am only connected at 5470/384 with a line attunation of 19/11 db. SN Margin is 6.00 on download and 12.00 on upload. No CRC errors on download 2 on upload, i am about 2km from the exchange with little to no contention on the line. Shouldn't i be expected a better speed.

Regards

Gavin

SN margin is a bit low. You will probably experience drop outs at that. I have 7.6 and an SN of 12 and attenuation down of 8.

Not much you can do apart from plug router into most direct socket closest to where the Eircom cable comes into your house. Remove all other devices like fax machines, sky boxes and phones, restart router and see if improvement is made.

You may struggle to get a stable connection and should consider getting your profile reduced to 5mb if this is the case. Unfortunately the chances of getting the full 7 are slim since Eircom are not obliged to offer any minimum level of service when it comes to broadband. As long as you have a phone line Eircom have done everything that is expected of them by our communications regulator...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Hi All,

Regards

Gavin
    With that attenuation, you shouldn't struggle to get 7.6MB, Xcellor is correct, it seems to be internal so remove everything.

Here are mine line statistics, 1.7KM's from my local exchange and only BB and Sky (filtered) connected.

11029.png

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Hi Guys,

Thanks Much.

I unplugged the sky box and it went up to 7164/384 LA is now 18/11

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 7168 384
    SN Margin (dB) 11.50 15.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 18.00 11.00
    CRC Errors 0 2

If it stays at 7168 i will be happy, so is the best i could get 7600?

so i am loosing 0.5 of a meg.

Does the skybox telephone line need to be plugged in for sky+ to work?

I'll go out and by a micro filter for the line.
    BTW how are you getting 600+ upload?

Cheers

Gav

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

SKy Boxes are a complete pain in the hole , them and eircom phonewatch :(

Please note, there is no obligation to have a sky box plugged into the phone unless you have the multiroom service ( with or without sky+)

Thats grand so. Sky box will stay out.

• Advertisement

Hi Guys,

Thanks Much.

I unplugged the sky box and it went up to 7164/384 LA is now 18/11

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 7168 384
    SN Margin (dB) 11.50 15.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 18.00 11.00
    CRC Errors 0 2

If it stays at 7168 i will be happy, so is the best i could get 7600?

so i am loosing 0.5 of a meg.

Does the skybox telephone line need to be plugged in for sky+ to work?

I'll go out and by a micro filter for the line.
    BTW how are you getting 600+ upload?

Cheers

Gav
    Your syncing at the correct speed, 7164 / 384 kbps is Eircoms Gaming profile, low interleaving on the downstream and high interleaving upstream (for better latency while still getting high speeds). For the 7.6MB profile, you need the same sync as myself (7616 / 672 kbps) - I'd get your profile if I could (I can't with BT) and I also suggest you stay where you are, that's one of Eircoms best ideas in a long while - whats .5MB when your already getting 7MB? :)

Sky box's should be plugged in (when multiroom is concerned) but if it's one Sky box, you'll be grand without it, I lived in an apartment for a full year without one with nothing said. If you ring Eircom, they should send you out a microfilter, if not - go to the likes of PC World or Maplins, they shouldn't be more than a few euro.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.

Cheers

Gavin

cpu-dude wrote: »
    Sky box's should be plugged in (when multiroom is concerned) but if it's one Sky box, you'll be grand without it, I lived in an apartment for a full year without one with nothing said.

I was not clear enough .

There is no CONTRACTUAL obligation between you and Sky to leave their box plugged into a phone line UNLESS you have a MULTIROOM contract with SKY right now .

There is a grey area if you recently availed of a special sky deal whereby they cabled your apartment in an apartment block to a single central dish but that is not enforced unless you have Multiroom as well. However these deals are rare and would have occured in the past year. Once the first year of that particular deal is up you may unplug even if you keep the service .

Everybody else should unplug their Sky box from the phone line ,especially if they have kids who may wish to play games :(

If you occasionally use pay per view or pay per movie then plug the sky box in to the phone line while you order it and plug it out again an hour later.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I was not clear enough .

There is no CONTRACTUAL obligation between you and Sky to leave their box plugged into a phone line UNLESS you have a MULTIROOM contract with SKY right now .

There is a grey area if you recently availed of a special sky deal whereby they cabled your apartment in an apartment block to a single central dish but that is not enforced unless you have Multiroom as well. However these deals are rare and would have occured in the past year. Once the first year of that particular deal is up you may unplug even if you keep the service .

Everybody else should unplug their Sky box from the phone line ,especially if they have kids who may wish to play games :(

If you occasionally use pay per view or pay per movie then plug the sky box in to the phone line while you order it and plug it out again an hour later.
    Good post - I was chatting to an engineer recently and he told me that Sky dial in every 2 months or so, seems so pointless when Multiroom isn't involved.

The box dials into sky not the other way around.

Some interactive features may call 18xx numbers or 0818 numbers .

Normal subscription checking ( for sky multiroom etc) contacts an 1800 number . CLI must be enabled .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Sponge, ease up there on the advice.. a lot of it is very wrong.

1) If you sign up to Sky as a new customer, unless you pay the additional no-line charge, you ARE contractually obliged to keep the box connected for 1 year. If you get Multiroom, there is no option but to keep all boxes connected.

2) The Sky box phones home to a freephone number. Without a Multiroom subscription, my Sky boxes didn't try to phone home in over 5 months (they did several times a week with a Multiroom sub). You can do most Sky Active things for free (box calls a freephone number) as well. Some/many red-button services are premium/paid-for (which might have been your point), but a Sky connected to a phoneline will not cost you any money unless you go through a number of actions to avail of a service (and you're advised of the cost at the time).

As for the Sky box affecting broadband, surely it's just a matter of a filter to sort it?

cgarvey wrote: »
    Sponge, ease up there on the advice.. a lot of it is very wrong.

1) If you sign up to Sky as a new customer, unless you pay the additional no-line charge, you ARE contractually obliged to keep the box connected for 1 year. If you get Multiroom, there is no option but to keep all boxes connected.

That is a connection charge not a monthly charge CG , there is no ongoing charge or discount related to a phone line save where I mentioned ??

If a connection charge the contract is satisfied as long as the box is plugged in during installation , you may unplug it once it has been enabled.

If a monthly charge or a monthly discount contingent on a phone line that is different .

There is a free sky box and minidish package but that is NOT SOLD IN IRELAND despite it being in the Irish T&C's to confuse people .
    Under this offer you agree to have your Digital Satellite System installed in your home in the UK , Isle of Man or Channel Islands by an authorised installer). You also agree to keep your telephone line (which must be fixed and operational) connected to your Box, and a viewing card in the Box (if you receive one), at all times during the first 12 months following installation

Anyway the most they can do is tell you to plug it back in :)

There is a charge payable on installation if you have no phone line .

"Manual Enablement Charge
    As your Sky Box will not be connected to a phone line, you will need to pay an additional charge of €37.50 for installation of your Sky Box. This will be added to your order."
    2) The Sky box phones home to a freephone number. Without a Multiroom subscription, my Sky boxes didn't try to phone home in over 5 months (they did several times a week with a Multiroom sub). You can do most Sky Active things for free (box calls a freephone number) as well. Some/many red-button services are premium/paid-for (which might have been your point), but a Sky connected to a phoneline will not cost you any money unless you go through a number of actions to avail of a service (and you're advised of the cost at the time).

Thanks , that is clearer on the SKY side . You are saying that all sub validation calls are to a 1800 not to an 0818 . my bad will change .
    As for the Sky box affecting broadband, surely it's just a matter of a filter to sort it?

No. I believe there are other issues on top of simple filtering that may interfere with broadband or may require expensive filters .

Advertisement