Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael....Spineless.

Options
  • 07-10-2009 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭

The last 24 hours have really shown up Fine Gael for what they are....utterly spineless and gutless.

As the main opposition party they would have been expected to take the lead in demanding the resignation of John O'Donoughue.

But no...not Enda "Mr Nice But Dim" Kenny.

FG were "gazumped".

This party and Enda Kenny have notions about leading the next Gov, making tough decisions and showing leadership.

It was Sinn Fein, the Greens and Labour that grabed the bull by the horns (yeah I know) and demanded his resignation.

What type of leadership is that!

But apparently Enda Kenny didnt want to politicise the issue. What utter tripe! John O'D is an elected politician using taxpayers money. It was a political issue.

Enda Kenny maintained this charade because he (and FG) are spinless and gutless.

His actions (or lack thereof) have showed this up and not for the first time

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Spineless, complacent cowards... nothing new there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

The last 24 hours have really shown up Fine Gael for what they are....utterly spineless and gutless.

As the main opposition party they would have been expected to take the lead in demanding the resignation of John O'Donoughue.

But no...not Enda "Mr Nice But Dim" Kenny.

FG were "gazumped".

This party and Enda Kenny have notions about leading the next Gov, making tough decisions and showing leadership.

It was Sinn Fein, the Greens and Labour that grabed the bull by the horns (yeah I know) and demanded his resignation.

What type of leadership is that!

But apparently Enda Kenny didnt want to politicise the issue. What utter tripe! John O'D is an elected politician using taxpayers money. It was a political issue.

Enda Kenny maintained this charade beacuse he (and FG) are spinless and gutless.

His actions (or lack thereof) have showed this up and not for the first time

Couldn't agree more . . . !

What I don't understand is . . Why did the other party leaders not at leasat agree to meet Gilmore and argue the odds . . It seems odd that they would just leave him to drop the hammer like that and it equally seems odd that Enda would not have seen what was coming and jumped first ! As it stands, he now looks like a bumbling eejit who kept changing his mind yesterday and Gilmore has stolen the moral high ground . . You do wonder how this will work with Kenny as Taoiseach and Gilmore as Tanaiste.

You do wonder how this will work with Kenny as Taoiseach and Gilmore as Tanaiste.
    The word "farcical" comes immediately to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Another problem...they are all cut from the same cloth...

J O'D apparently is a nice guy who gives the opposition lots of air time in the Dail...Enda Kenny didnt want to see his ould buddy being treated badly..

Nobody has any balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭optocynic

Couldn't agree more . . . !

What I don't understand is . . Why did the other party leaders not at leasat agree to meet Gilmore and argue the odds . . It seems odd that they would just leave him to drop the hammer like that and it equally seems odd that Enda would not have seen what was coming and jumped first ! As it stands, he now looks like a bumbling eejit who kept changing his mind yesterday and Gilmore has stolen the moral high ground . . You do wonder how this will work with Kenny as Taoiseach and Gilmore as Tanaiste.

My guess is, Gilmore didn't tell them. It was another populist stunt by him, at least this time it was a worthwhile stunt with more than a little integrity about it!
    But, it was a stunt none the less... I would go so far as saying that all the leaders DID talk about it, and agreed to leave it out of the Dail... but Gilmore saw it as a golden grand-standing opportunity!..

I may not like the guy.. but he took his chance well..!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

optocynic wrote: »
    My guess is, Gilmore didn't tell them. It was another populist stunt by him, at least this time it was a worthwhile stunt with more than a little integrity about it!
    But, it was a stunt none the less... I would go so far as saying that all the leaders DID talk about it, and agreed to leave it out of the Dail... but Gilmore saw it as a golden grand-standing opportunity!..

/QUOTE]

I was travelling a lot yesterday and only heard snatches but I thought I heard Gilmore say he had sent a letter to all party leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

The opposition really need to grow some balls. I used to laugh at those wacky videos of brawls erupting in the parliaments of those random Eastern countries - now I envy them. I wish Enda would show some passion.

The Daíl needs angrier occupants. The standing ovation for Bertie was galling enough.

Incidentally, Roisín Shortall wasn't bad last night in the Daíl, claiming Coughlan had acted illegally over Rody-gate.

optocynic wrote: »

You might be right but if that's the case he shafted Kenny which seems odd given that in all likelihood he will have to partner with him to form the next Govt. It's also odd that Kenny didn't see it coming !

Maybe Gilmore still has it in his head that Labour can be the majority party in the next govt . .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Just to clarify the situation, I was listening to Roisin Shortall on Vincent Browne last night. She stated that Gilmore phoned O Donoghue yesterday morning prior to Dail proceedings, informing him that he was going to table a motion of no confidence. He also discussed it informally with his party members first. As he was on his way back from a speaking engagement at a SIPTU conference there wasn't time for a formal meeting with his party prior to him tabling the motion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭optocynic

Maybe Gilmore still has it in his head that Labour can be the majority party in the next govt . .

I do think this is the case! Delusions of Grandeur maybe...! But since Gilmore is good with a jibe... he wil be a typical irish voter's champion.

The man has carisma... but I don't really see a rational and strong intellect at work.. Once again, RB may be the man we need..

Grey Enda should step aside!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Fine Gael have bottled it. To hear Kenny saying that it's ok to squander the tax payers money as long as you

(a) give it back when caught and;
    (b) sack a staff member

made me sad to be Irish. Hearing JOD's cousin (another elected official) on the radio this morning saying that he's got a bum deal made me plain mad (but this is the same county that has given us the wondeful healy-rea's). Gilmore has balls at least so he has won some respect from me on the matter.

I am still disappointed that the opposition parties have not tried harder to force a general election. I firmly believe that they are waiting for FF to pass NAMA before they take the seat - if it works then happy days, if not they will blame FF for passing it - they know they don't have a real alternative.

Labour has pushed the nationalisation issue but to date the only nationalised institution in the country has turned out to be an absolute disaster.

Politics in this country is an absolute disgrace. I find it amusing in the extreme to hear from people who "don't trust Europe"

Aidric wrote: »
    Just to clarify the situation, I was listening to Roisin Shortall on Vincent Browne last night. She stated that Gilmore phoned O Donoghue yesterday morning prior to Dail proceedings, informing him that he was going to table a motion of no confidence.

I suspected as much.
    As can be seen from the news clips of when Gilmore stood up and made his statement, O'Donaghue reacted non-facially or in NO way at all, with a blank expression.
    It was clear by his mannerism, stone cold but already red faced, he knew what was coming.
    He just sat there frozen beforehand, during and afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Kenny has now to follow up on hie previous calls for JOD the hand back some of the money he screwed from us.....Whats it going to be enda? BE A MAN FOR ONCE IN YOUR LIFE!!!! and regain some respect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Indeed it regretable the politics (or lack therof) dragged out so long.

This still doesnt change the fact that FG are the only party able to fix the public debt.

turgon wrote: »
    ...This still doesn't change the fact that FG are the only party able to fix the public debt.

LOL I have a sneaking suspicion there is a plug in there for them! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

This still doesnt change the fact that FG are the only party able to fix the public debt.[/quote]

How do you figure that one?

This still doesnt change the fact that FG are the only party able to fix the public debt.

I agree . . not because they have the best people or ideas but they are the only party with any chance of getting an overall majority and forming a single party government . . We need a government with that kind of mandate and strength if we are to have any chance of reversing things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Euroland

Yes, FG is the same FF, only slightly different. Unfortunately, in Ireland at present, there is no political party which would have ability to deliver. With all my respect to Enda, he doesn't look like as a prospective leader of a country, leader which would drive the country to success, the leader which would have an all-European or global appeal, instead he looks more like an average coutryside farmer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I have never been a major fan of Enda Kenny but this whole JOD issue has really shown him up to be a spineless coward. Why the hell didnt he take the lead and call for JOD's resignation? He is the leader of the opposition but yet he just stood meekly by and just uttered a few soundbites.

Fine Gael will be down a fair few percentage points in the next RED C Poll I reckon.

Fair play to Eamonn Gilmore. At least he had the balls to stand up in the dail and say what he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

How do you figure that one?
    Well so far they are the only party in opposition who have said that cuts will be required. Labour have refused to say that so far (because they know their voters don't want to hear the cold facts) and as for SF/SWP/others , give them half a chance and it will be the 80s all over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Kenny looked like he was the leader of the smaller Oppoistion party yesterday, Gilmore is twice as wise or well advised than Kenny, and now Kenny has tried to get back on top by trying to force JOD to resign but Labour had said he can stay until next week and if the Greens pull the plug then he will be removed before the election is called.

Gilmore 10 - 0 Kenny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Well so far they are the only party in opposition who have said that cuts will be required. Labour have refused to say that so far (because they know their voters don't want to hear the cold facts) and as for SF/SWP/others , give them half a chance and it will be the 80s all over again.

Eh no, not really. All parties have said there needs to be cuts, the only difference between them being where these cuts will be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Look they all have dirt on each other. That's why they appear 'spineless'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

At the moment, FG are almost certain to make up part, if not all, of the next government, and as a result I think they are trying too hard not to mess it up.

Hence, they are just sitting on their hands when what is needed is a strong, vocal opposition/leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The Ceann Comhairle's resignation yesterday was inevitable. Enda
    Kenny was the first to say the Ceann Comhairle should consider his
    position if he didn't meet the criteria outlined by the Fine Gael
    Leader in his statement on Sunday. We believed the appropriate place
    for this to be carried out was the Oireachtas Commission - in order
    to avoid the politicisation of the Office of Ceann Comhairle.
    Following yesterday's events this cannot happen. The Ceann Comhairle
    should now resign immediately to allow the Dail to focus on the real
    economy and jobs - including for example the 676 job losses announced
    in Aer Lingus this morning.

Damn it was a great opportunity but Enda Kenny has to go. The people won't vote for him as Taoiseach and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Does anyone else feel like Gilmore's hand was almost forced by Sinn Fein calling for his resignation though? Their call seemed to be met with a positive response by the public and maybe it gave Gilmore enough confidence to take that decision then.

As for Kenny not calling for his resignation, I would expect no less from him. If he manages to become the leader of this country, it'll be a sad day for all of us. I wouldn't have such a problem with FG in government (anyone would be better than these scumbags) but I just couldn't stomach him for five years.

FG with Richard Bruton at the helm would be grand. Kenny is spineless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

murphaph wrote: »
    Damn it was a great opportunity but Enda Kenny has to go. The people won't vote for him as Taoiseach and rightly so.

Of course the people won't vote for him as Taoiseach. The people don't get to vote for Taoiseach; that's a matter for Dáil Éireann.

The people might give enough seats to Fine Gael to make it likely that Kenny be elected Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Of course the people won't vote for him as Taoiseach. The people don't get to vote for Taoiseach; that's a matter for Dáil Éireann.

The people might give enough seats to Fine Gael to make it likely that Kenny be elected Taoiseach.
    I know how the mechanics of Dail Eireann work thanks very much. HOWEVER-the dogs in the street know that the party leader of the biggest party is 99% likely to be selected as Taoiseach and vote accordingly!

People will avoid voting FG so long as Enda Kenny is their leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Yep Enda Kenny is spineless and again proved he wouldn't be a worthy leader of this country. But why didn't he call for JOD's resignation? This story is gonna get legs. Expect Kenny's expense account to come under scrutiny I feel! They all at it in there

• Advertisement

Honestly, I wouldn't vote for FG if Kenny was still the head.
    If there was someone else there with different aspects to them - maybe more so for sure.

Advertisement