Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Kindle available worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

nope - dont like some of the messing there have been with books taken off readers and having to get them off one or two retailers only - and all that stuff..

Good old paperbacks suit me fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

KJF wrote: »
    No way. A book is a book, not an electronic device :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭time42play

No, but I'm hoping they also extend the iPhone Kindle app outside the US. Since I find reading on my iPhone works well I can't see buying another device.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No WiFi == fail.

3G coverage isn't comprehensive enough to justify having no WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 cripesonfriday

Yep. preordered it yesterday, I've wanted one for ages, happened to have the money on a 3v card and just bought it.From finding out to ordering in about 20 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Hope you have another 100 euro available to pay the customs fee for importing it from the States which you will be charged on delivery ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I don't care about 3g or wifi, even less so after them deleting people's books.

Love the look of the DX but it's expensive for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 cripesonfriday

Import duty is paid as part of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Salty Dog

Import duty is paid as part of the price.

Nice increase in price - $279 becomes

Items: $279.00 Shipping & Handling: $20.98 pixel-grey._V47081715_.gif Total Before Tax: $299.98 Estimated Tax:* $0.00 Import fees $64.50 transparent-pixel._V42752373_.gif Order Total: $364.48

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I'll continue to use my old PSP. Makes an excellent ebook reader. And I can switch to games or videos if the mood strikes me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Giggler

I was waiting for this one to come to ireland, but having had a look at what seems to be available for download on the books side of things, it seems to be severely limited, ie: no new dan brown, patricia cornwell etc. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this??? The region is set as europe once you log in and i don't think you can change it to america.

If this is the case i don't think i will be bothering for the moment, as i wanted to almost replace my physical book buying, not have this in addition to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Sarxos

It's said that the power supply is for the US 110v system and won't work in Europe (220-240v) without a converter. The only way to charge the Kindle would be via USB.

There's also a 2 dollar levy on downloading books from outside the US making them $11.99 and the selection is limited from 350,000 on the US site to 250,000 in Ireland. Also while the US version can access blogs and websites, the international version cannot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I'll wait and see how the early adopters (international/Irish) get on before i really give it any more consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Lads just wondering if you can upload your own ebooks to the kindle?? Any problems, also is there a way of checking your email on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Nope - got iBooks and the Kindle app on my iPhone, and will have them on my iPad soon. They'll keep me covered for free classics, and I'll likely be sticking with paper books for newer stuff for a long time to come.

Ordered the smaller version, get it start of September when it comes out here.

[could not justify a couple of hundred quid extra for the bigger one]

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Packet

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Lads just wondering if you can upload your own ebooks to the kindle??

Yes. It has a PDF reader and files can be copied to it via the USB cable (it appears as an extra disk drive) or be emailed to "your_kindle@kindle.com" via whispernet for a charge or emailed to "your_kindle@free.kindle.com" for free delivery when it's connected via WiFi. There are literally millions of legally free books available for it http://ireaderreview.com/2008/01/19/free-books-for-the-amazon-kindle/.
    GaryCocs wrote: »
    Any problems, also is there a way of checking your email on it?

I've seen reports of people not being able to use gmail.com through it, but it working with other webmail systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Woohoo! Now I'll have shelf space for magazines!

*Burns entire paperback collection*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Warrior Saint

Just ordered my new kindle from th U.S. Looks like no delivery until the first week in September:(.

I am writing my book Patick Warrior Saint and hope to self publish on createspace. Then I am going to do a kindle version and upload onto the amazon kindle website. A goal of mine is to be able to download my own book onto my brand new kindle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Nope - got iBooks and the Kindle app on my iPhone, and will have them on my iPad soon. They'll keep me covered for free classics, and I'll likely be sticking with paper books for newer stuff for a long time to come.
    cis2pq
    ditto this. :)

got an idevice with the kindle app..and ibooks...so a kindle is kinda pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I'll be sticking with my Sony Reader for the time being. I have read in a couple of gadget mags that the Sony screen is far superior to the Kindle, apparently the Kindle has a kind of shine off the screen and it makes it difficult to read for any length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Packet

ncmc wrote: »
    I'll be sticking with my Sony Reader for the time being. I have read in a couple of gadget mags that the Sony screen is far superior to the Kindle, apparently the Kindle has a kind of shine off the screen and it makes it difficult to read for any length of time.

Which model Sony are you talking about? It's usually the Sony that is accused of having screen glare because some models have the touch displays adding an extra layer which causes reflections.

http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix

http://ereaderguide.info/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

cis2pq
    ditto this. :)

got an idevice with the kindle app..and ibooks...so a kindle is kinda pointless.

There's a massive difference between using a device with a backlit LCD screen and a device with eInk for reading.

mine just arrived this morning - looks ace :)

cant wait to get home and start playing with it :)

Advertisement