Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slingbox

Options
  • 07-10-2009 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

I was thinking of investing in one of these for Christmas, as my daughter lives in Spain and has wi fi in her apartment.
    Maybe someone can answer the following questions:

1. What is the best model to go for?
    2. Can it be set up on more than 1 PC, ie can I load the software onto my own and my daughter's PC?
    3. At the moment my wireless router is not in the same room as the Sky Hd box, will I have to move it?
    4. If someone is watching TV using the slingbox, and you're at home, can you watch something that you've previously recorded on Sky+ at the same time.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

brian076 wrote: »
    I was thinking of investing in one of these for Christmas, as my daughter lives in Spain and has wi fi in her apartment.
    Maybe someone can answer the following questions:

1. What is the best model to go for?
    2. Can it be set up on more than 1 PC, ie can I load the software onto my own and my daughter's PC?
    3. At the moment my wireless router is not in the same room as the Sky Hd box, will I have to move it?
    4. If someone is watching TV using the slingbox, and you're at home, can you watch something that you've previously recorded on Sky+ at the same time.

Thanks
    can't answer first question
    2. Yes you download slingplayer on whatever pc you want to watch the slingbox
    3. Pretty sure it's only Ethernet connection.
    4. The sling player mirrors whatever is on where the slingbox is located. It does have a couple of inputs on it so you could be watching sky plus at home and someone could be watching ntl on the other input. The sling player can control sky plus etc but if the slingplayer changes channel it will therefore change channel on sky at home if you get me! Don't have a slingbox myself but have slingplayer so can watch a friends slingbox.! He gets peed off when I change channel on him!!
    On another note I think only one player can watch the slingbox at a time u could be wrong though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I have a couple of Slingboxes setup, one is a classic(?) and the other one is a pro(?). I just have them connected as stand alone and no TV pluged in directly to them as you then don't run the risk of annoying whoever is watching that TV when someone changes channels remotely. How you set it up though depends on what channels it is that you want to be available and what type of TV supply you have. I have one box just connected to the basic NTL cable signal and another one that controls a Freeview box in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Have the classic one myself. My router is not anywhere near the Sky box either so the way I got around this is to use a powerline adapter.

Advertisement