Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will bag I check in be sent even if I miss boarding call?

• 07-10-2009 9:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭

Does anyone know if a checked in bag will be sent to the destination if you miss the final boarding call for the flight? Will said bag end up on a carusol in some airport. How do these things work? Thanks.:confused:

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

AFAIK for security reasons they won't fly with a passenger-less bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

the usual announcement goes along the lines of 'will mr x please make their way to the boarding gate or your bags wil be removed..'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

Thanks, always wondered about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭Tazzer

happened to me on sunday....missed connecting flight from london to dublin, but bags were checked in all the way from china. Bags were taken off and put onto the next flight we took.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

They always take them off. If they didn't, someone could check in a bag with a timed bomb in it and then never board the plane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Correct posts above. An airline is not allowed to, and will never, ever fly a bag without its owner. Probably the #1 cause of delays tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

blah wrote: »
    They always take them off. If they didn't, someone could check in a bag with a timed bomb in it and then never board the plane.
    sdonn wrote: »
    Correct posts above. An airline is not allowed to, and will never, ever fly a bag without its owner. Probably the #1 cause of delays tbh.

I have missed my connection and bags have continued on without me. I collected the bags later at my destination airport.

I was flying from Europe to a developing country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

It happens all the time (bags and owners travelling on different flights). If it didn't then there would be no need for the baggage handlers desks you see in arrivals at DUB or other airports.

My bags got delayed on a transfer between Newark and Raleigh, NC a while back. They turned up on the next flight and were delivered to the hotel for me. You can be pretty sure that airlines are not going to kick people off flights because their bags aren't ready to be loaded.

In the OPs situation it is more than likely that the bags will be removed if they miss the boarding, but I wouldn't bank on it happening. It's by no way guaranteed.

z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

My bags got delayed on a transfer between Newark and Raleigh, NC a while back. They turned up on the next flight and were delivered to the hotel for me. You can be pretty sure that airlines are not going to kick people off flights because their bags aren't ready to be loaded.

Oddly enough, that's a different scenario. You can travel on a flight and your bags follow. It's not supposed to happen (post Pan Am 103) for the bag to go ahead of you and you to follow.

Obviously if your bag is delayed, they have extra time to screen it etc if the feel it's nessecary before sending it on the next flight. If the bag goes on the flight as normal, and you don't - well that can't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I've been on flights where departure was delayed because someone didn't show up at the gate and they had to open the hold to get their luggage out. Guess it depends on the airline/airport if this is strictly enforced, but it definitely happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭shamrock321

Bags can travel unaccompanied, after certaim measures have been taken and usually its a case that the paasenger travels first abd bag follows.

In regard to bags going ahead of passengers, its very very rare in Europe but in the US its not uncommon for bags to stay on flights that passengers arnt on! I work at one of those baggage desks at DUB and we commonly recieve bags 24 hours ahead of passengers.

Advertisement