Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Library in Rush

Options
  • 07-10-2009 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know when this is to be completed and opened up for public access?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭sashasdad

Was supposed to be opened the end of September. You could try emailing Senan Turnbull, Director of services community, recreation and amenities, senan.turnbull@fingalcoco.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

They are having trouble getting staff - filling the positions from what I hear.

I was in the building a few weeks ago and I think it is stunning. Some really nice touchs to the decor. It retains nearly all the old features people will be familar with.

Dont think you will get Senan at moment, I heard at meeting the other day Senan is in hospital. Get well soon
    Well done Fingal.:)
    Great Job:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭billyhead

Thanks Leo.
    I would think that getting this library open before X-Mas will be a non-runner. You would have felt that with so many people being unemployed that it would be easy enough getting staff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Where is it? The old church?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭ToyotaCorolla

Is the staffing problem not down to staff based in swords not wanting to be transferred out to rush etc. Bit of a joke really all the time and money to get the library built and they cant open because of a lack of staff when so many people are unemployed. You could not make it up !!

• Advertisement

There is currently an embargo in some areas on recruitment. The only way this library will open is public pressure..................
    Iwould suggest anyone from around the area of NCD should lobby to have this opened as soon as possible.
    Darragh O'Brien T.D
    Micheal Kennedy t.d.
    James Reilly T.D.
    Trevor Sargent T.D.
    Nora Owen
    Ken Farrell
    Eoghan O'Brien
    Alan Farrell
    Ciaran Byrne

There are plenty of others also who should be lobbied.

And lets not forget the pushing Joe Corr done in pushing the library:) Ya know what they say....Eaten bread...............

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Senator Brendan Ryan? ;)

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Senator Brendan Ryan? ;)

Yeah decent man. Met him a while back. Quiet of late is he still in Senate?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I cant wait till this opens. Ive seen pictures of inside, and it looks great

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

LeoB wrote: »
    He is indeed a decent man. Still in the Senate. This is his first term.

Saw pics of the library in the Fingal Indo this week. Looks amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

There is currently an embargo in some areas on recruitment. The only way this library will open is public pressure..................
    Iwould suggest anyone from around the area of NCD should lobby to have this opened as soon as possible.
    Darragh O'Brien T.D
    Micheal Kennedy t.d.
    James Reilly T.D.
    Trevor Sargent T.D.
    Nora Owen
    Ken Farrell
    Eoghan O'Brien
    Alan Farrell
    Ciaran Byrne

There are plenty of others also who should be lobbied.

And lets not forget the pushing Joe Corr done in pushing the library:) Ya know what they say....Eaten bread...............

Nora Owen has been retired since 2002 although I'm sure she'd be flattered to get a mention.

The staff embargo was inflicted by Ministers Gormley & Lenihan and more generally FF & the Greens.

Their email addresses are firstname.secondname@oireachtas.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Is the staffing problem not down to staff based in swords not wanting to be transferred out to rush etc.

Complete and utter rubbish. Whoever told you that is full of crap to be quite frank. Transfers are part and parcel of the job and everyone is aware of that when starting the job. Transfers also affect people in all branches, not just Swords.

Bit of a joke really all the time and money to get the library built and they cant open because of a lack of staff when so many people are unemployed. You could not make it up !!

I'm not sure if you've been living under a rock for the past year but there is this little thing called a recruitment embargo in place at the moment. The libraries are not allowed to hire any staff and if you wish to see this changed you need to lobby the government on the issue. Get on to your local representatives and start applying the pressure. The delay is not coming from the Fingal County Council side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

It took almost nine months of sustained pressure before I could hold the official opening ceremony to get the necessary staff for Malahide Library despite the fact that the government invested almost €4 million in the upgrade.

To me (and many others) its seems bizarre to say the least that central government would invest millions in projects and then allow them to sit empty because of the embargo.

Shows a clear lack of thought on the part of the Department of the Environment & Finance and speaks volumes of their internal procedures, regardless of the economic downturn.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Yep. He has a walk in session in the library in Skerries every other Saturday if you wanted to pay him a visit. Very decent guy. Was gutted he didn't get elected to the dail last time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

God i would love to work there. I love reading, and id love to work so close to my house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Khannie wrote: »
    Was gutted he didn't get elected to the dail last time around.

He did get elected just that our democratic process decided that the known fact that the population of NCD had made the constituency a five seater should be ignored.

North County Dublin home of the super dump, super prison, support port, super sewage treatment works and 20% less democracy.

SeaSide wrote: »
    He did get elected just that our democratic process decided that the known fact that the population of NCD had made the constituency a five seater should be ignored.

North County Dublin home of the super dump, super prison, support port, super sewage treatment works and 20% less democracy.

Sorry but he didnt get elected. FACT. Our democratic process decided that. We may want a 5 seater so maybe you should contact the group looking for election reform.

If the opposition get their way will we not have less T.Ds? So where will we be then. Big problem with Irish electorate is they wont get up and vote. The attidtude is "ah sure he will get elected anyway" and then all we do is moan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

If its half as good as Balbriggan then youll be laughing . :DI just LOVE our Library, its a social outlet for kids, a family place of fun, it has a great kids section and loads of resources.And the staff bend over backward to help...I hope none of ours are sent, it would be a shame.
    Congrats of the library,
    Cathy

Advertisement