Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bike Scheme

Options
  • 07-10-2009 9:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Right. Let's try this again.

From the start, let's have a little Mod Note shall we?

If anyone starts with crap like "It's shoite, the scumbags will destroy it", well, you can feck off. We know what people think about that, thanks very much. If you type anything like that, you'll be banned. I think that's pretty simple to understand. If you engage with anyone who types that, you'll get a longer ban.

OK, with that out of the way;

How does this scheme work?

This evening I have need to get from Talbot Street to Christchurch, and this bike scheme seems to be a pretty good way of doing that.

What do I have to do?

Can I sign up online, and then just head on out to the bike station on Talbot Street, and jaunt on up to Christchurch, should take no more than 15mins, then leave my bike back and bob's yer uncle, it's free?

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Des wrote: »

If anyone starts with crap like "It's shoite, the scumbags will destroy it", well, you can feck off. We know what people think about that, thanks very much. If you type anything like that, you'll be banned. I think that's pretty simple to understand. If you engage with anyone who types that, you'll get a longer ban.

This evening I have need to get from Talbot Street to Christchurch, and this bike scheme seems to be a pretty good way of doing that.

What do I have to do?

Can I sign up online, and then just head on out to the bike station on Talbot Street, and jaunt on up to Christchurch, should take no more than 15mins, then leave my bike back and bob's yer uncle, it's free?

Cheers.

http://www.dublinbikes.ie/

http://www.dublinbikes.ie/how_does_it_work/frequently_asked_questions

€150 deposit needed first it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭babyhack

Des wrote: »

What do I have to do?

Cheers.

Have been using the scheme at least twice a day since day one and IMO I think its great.

Getting from Christchurch Place to Merrion Square East in 8 mins every morning and then from Merrion Square East to St. Stephen's Green South in 5 mins for college in the evening

The only problem I have found is that after the first week to many people signed up (think there is over 6000 people signed up and only about 400 bikes) getting a bike at Merrion Square at 5 in the evening can be hit or miss and I always seem to get one of the last spots in the morning when parking up

As for you question about Talbot Street I dont think you can pay at that point (and you cant get a 3 day pass online)

I think its a great scheme and am hoping they roll it out more

BH
    Spear wrote: »
    €150 deposit needed first it seems.

This money is not taken unless you fail to return the bike to a station in 24 hours
    The guarantee (€150) is only debited in the event of theft or failure to return the db within 24 hours

Its just a guarantee on your credit card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Yeah you can buy a 3 day pass at one of the pay stations - I believe there's a list of which ones you can pay at on the website.

Whatever you do, don't sign up for the yearly one if you want to use it today because you have to wait for a card to be sent out to you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

yup i got the yearly membership, they're cool, bit of poke in them considering the state of them to look at, use them most days on lunch break as it means i don't have to get my own bike out of sheds and stuff. They seem pretty secure and would be hard to destroy even if scumbags wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DecentBee

Signed up for yearly membership almost 2 weeks ago, still no card. Bit annoying since my housemate got his 2 days after signing up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I signed up when the membership opened up. I think it was a few weeks before the opening. I've used them a few times during lunch when I needed to go further down town to get something. Fairly handy and surprisingly fast!

The main problem I see is that the roads are pretty rough around town. You just have to be careful with this. I lost my lunch a week or two ago when I hit a pothole on baggot st. It was in the basket. :(:o

If you need it right now and don't have the yearly card then just get the 3 day pass. Sign up for the card afterwards. It's only €10 per year and even if you only use it a handful of times it'll still be worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

one thing that i have been wondering is what if you take a bicycle from talbot street and go to christchurch and find there is no space to place the bike?
    do you have to go and find a space somewhere else and incur more charges?

one thing that i have been wondering is what if you take a bicycle from talbot street and go to christchurch and find there is no space to place the bike?

If you ring DB they will add 15 mins onto your free time for you to find a station, they will even tell you the nearest station and how many free spots it has

Also there website has a map that tells you how many bikes and free spots are at each station, There was also a great IPhone app (free) from an Irish company called Fusio that did this but Due to a threat of legal action from J.C. Decaux the app was pulled from the app store

BH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

babyhack wrote: »
    If you ring DB they will add 15 mins onto your free time for you to find a station, they will even tell you the nearest station and how many free spots it has

Also there website has a map that tells you how many bikes and free spots are at each station, There was also a great IPhone app (free) from an Irish company called Fusio that did this but Due to a threat of legal action from J.C. Decaux the app was pulled from the app store

BH

that seems a little shortsighted on their part, the whole idea of the scheme is to get people moving around the city faster isnt it? if you cant park then taking the bike was a waste of time. maybe they should have left half of the points empty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

that seems a little shortsighted on their part, the whole idea of the scheme is to get people moving around the city faster isnt it? if you cant park then taking the bike was a waste of time. maybe they should have left half of the points empty

There are more spots that there are bikes, not sure how many. It is inevitable that some spots will become more popular for parking at certain times of the day. However I think they move the bikes around a bit themselves to even things out - although I could be wrong about this.

Also if you arrive at a station and it's full I don't think you have to ring DB to get your 15 minutes. I think you get it automatically from the terminal and it will tell you where the nearest available spot is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,433 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

40 stations in total with most having 20 stands (some 25, some 15) so roughly 800 stands for 450 bikes.

You soon get to know when/where you can bag a spot, and they have vans moving bikes around and they are supposedly examining the usage pattern to see when/where bikes have to be moved to.
    My local station Earlsfort Terrace is an example of a problem, basically impossible to get a space between 9.00 and 10AM, and then the bikes disappear like clockwork between 17.00 and 17.30.

Its slightly unfair to accuse them of being shortsighted though, this was always an expected problem and there is probably no permament solution though you can do some tweaking to alleviate it. (Its still a problem in Paris apparently, 3 years into their scheme).

You soon get to know when/where you can bag a spot, and they have vans moving bikes around and they are supposedly examining the usage pattern to see when/where bikes have to be moved to.
    My local station Earlsfort Terrace is an example of a problem, basically impossible to get a space between 9.00 and 10AM, and then the bikes disappear like clockwork between 17.00 and 17.30.

I've noticed this on Earlsfort Terrace too. It tends to get fairly empty during lunch hours also but there's a high turnover so if you wait for 5 minutes someone should come back with a bike.

I saw the JCD truck during lunch offloading bikes at the Stephens Green station so they are attempting to make sure that there are bikes free where needed.

Merrion Square East is the same

Its really not a problem with the system, Merrion Square is mainly offices and any station was going to be used alot

BH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Was thinking the same.. this would put me off using it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

They don't take laser for subscriptions :(

The stations are fairly close to each other so it shouldnt be that bad. Plus, each station can tell you how many free spaces the local stations have and they have a map on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Also if you arrive at a station and it's full I don't think you have to ring DB to get your 15 minutes. I think you get it automatically from the terminal and it will tell you where the nearest available spot is.

If you get there and there are no spaces, you swipe your card on the terminal and since it knows you have a bike out, offers you 15 minutes extra rental free of charge as well as showing you the list of closest stations that have spaces. A map would be handy but overall it works well.
    WindSock wrote: »
    They don't take laser for subscriptions :(

They can't because they need to be able to charge you the €150 if you damage or lose the bike. If you used a Laser card, there's a (good) chance your account wouldn't have €150 in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭stepinnman

Speaking as someone who has used them every day since the scheme began - usually from Charlemont to Christchurch and back again, but also at lunch time to most of the other stations - I think the scheme is one of the best things to arrive in Dublin in a long time.

For those of us not accustomed to cycling around town it opens up a whole new side of the city and for commuters, such as myself, it saves time in the morning and evening and, although we're only talking 10-15 mins, has definitely improved my quality of life, in that it enables me to get home maybe 30 mins earlier than usual and leave the house in the morning 15-20 mins later!!

Only once in the 3 weeks since the scheme has started have I had the problem of a full/empty station but as you're never really too far from the next station it really is a very small problem in the scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

I like the scheme - i used it in Seville when I lived there but I find (in both cities) you can't really rely on it. I have a bike in Dublin but I like the idea of DBs for days when I want to get home from town & don't have my bike for whatever reason or I'm out for drinks and need to get into town but don't necessarily know how I'll get home.... but you can't beat your own bike!

When the scheme started I used the bikes one day to go to Guinness Storehouse, just off James St. Looked up the list (that they send - no map!) and saw James St East on the list & assumed it was the east of James St. Ended up cycling round and round before I finally rang the company to find out that James St East is off Baggott St & the nearest station to the Storehouse is Christchurch!!!! Ended up cycling to Smithfield and walking up - almost as far as it would've taken to walk initially. Later that day cycled ffrom baggot st to Smithfield again only to find there were no stations. Nearest free station was Bolton St - bit of a walk again back down to Smithfield.

So, there are flaws in the system (frustrating ones at that) but provided you're not relying on the scheme for work or deadlines then you should be fine with it. I agree with the poster who said it's a great addition to the city - now bring on the better cycle lanes!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Looks good.

I'm looking forward to using it.

Would be nice if they extended the bike area a little further on both sides of the city eventually.

• Advertisement

boosh_fan wrote: »
    I like the scheme - i used it in Seville when I lived there but I find (in both cities) you can't really rely on it. I have a bike in Dublin but I like the idea of DBs for days when I want to get home from town & don't have my bike for whatever reason or I'm out for drinks and need to get into town but don't necessarily know how I'll get home.... but you can't beat your own bike!

When the scheme started I used the bikes one day to go to Guinness Storehouse, just off James St. Looked up the list (that they send - no map!) and saw James St East on the list & assumed it was the east of James St. Ended up cycling round and round before I finally rang the company to find out that James St East is off Baggott St & the nearest station to the Storehouse is Christchurch!!!! Ended up cycling to Smithfield and walking up - almost as far as it would've taken to walk initially. Later that day cycled ffrom baggot st to Smithfield again only to find there were no stations. Nearest free station was Bolton St - bit of a walk again back down to Smithfield.

So, there are flaws in the system (frustrating ones at that) but provided you're not relying on the scheme for work or deadlines then you should be fine with it. I agree with the poster who said it's a great addition to the city - now bring on the better cycle lanes!!!!

There is a station in smithfield, just at the lower end of the plaza close to the Luas track. Also there's one up beside the old motor tax office (not exactly Smithfield I think but it's very close!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Do these bikes have lights ? With the end of Summer Time a few weeks away, will the bikes be usable at dusk/when dark ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭NervousNude

Yes they have both a front and back light that come on automatically, no matter what time of day it is. I'd imagine they're linked to some sort of dynamo. Spent a good while looking for a switch when I first took one out! Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how the lock works? Is it linked to your pin number?

Yes they have both a front and back light that come on automatically, no matter what time of day it is. I'd imagine they're linked to some sort of dynamo. Spent a good while looking for a switch when I first took one out! Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how the lock works? Is it linked to your pin number?

Actually I think they're just run off a battery that's charged when you "dock" it in the station.

There's a picture diagram on the "dashboard" part of the bike showing how to use the lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

Was really interested in signing up for this so went on to their website. Filled in all my details, went looking for my IBAN for the direct debit. Really annoyed when I get to the end that you have to print out a form and send it off to them.

Whats the point in their website

howiya wrote: »
    Whats the point in their website

For people with credit cards, for information about the scheme and for maps :D

I presume they need your signature for the direct debit so there's no way it can be done online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how the lock works? Is it linked to your pin number?

Haven't used the lock yet, but from what I've seen you insert the loose end and then there's a key (inside the part that is covered when the bike is at a station) that is used to open and close it...

markpb wrote: »
    For people with credit cards, for information about the scheme and for maps :D

I presume they need your signature for the direct debit so there's no way it can be done online.

So if you sign up with a credit card you don't need to send them proof of address?

howiya wrote: »
    So if you sign up with a credit card you don't need to send them proof of address?

Nope, you do everything on-line. They don't need your address because they can take the €150 off your card if you disappear with the bike.

• Advertisement

markpb wrote: »
    Nope, you do everything on-line. They don't need your address because they can take the €150 off your card if you disappear with the bike.

Sounds like less hassle doing it that. Cheers

Advertisement