Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bike Scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

Signed up with the credit card. Much less hassle. I noticed however that I am subscriber number 18145.

Aren't there only 450 bikes? Will there be more?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

Dord wrote: »
    There is a station in smithfield, just at the lower end of the plaza close to the Luas track. Also there's one up beside the old motor tax office (not exactly Smithfield I think but it's very close!)

The one in Smithfield was full. So were all the others close to it - the machine tells you the nearest. Nearest free ones were Bolton St or Christchurch. As I said - frustrating but the scheme is (practically) free so can't really complain to much!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

howiya wrote: »
    Signed up with the credit card. Much less hassle. I noticed however that I am subscriber number 18145.

Aren't there only 450 bikes? Will there be more?

Wow, I was in the 9000s when I signed up just over 2 weeks ago. I hope there is more added, though I can't imagine this happening very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Vim Fuego wrote: »
    Wow, I was in the 9000s when I signed up just over 2 weeks ago. I hope there is more added, though I can't imagine this happening very quickly.
    I signed up last week (Mon iirc) and my number was just shy of 11000. Judging from a press release from dbs around the same time, it said that over 10000 annual and temporary signups has been made, so I'm guessing the vast bulk of the subscriber numbers are from folks getting the 3-day pass for €2. If I'd been desiging their database, I'd have used a different numbering scheme for the annual and temporary users.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Ah right, I see. Yes, separate numbering would have made more sense. 18,000 annual subscribers would be impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

howiya wrote: »
    So if you sign up with a credit card you don't need to send them proof of address?

You have to supply your address for them to post out your card to. You can't use the annual membership without the card AFAIK.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    You have to supply your address for them to post out your card to. You can't use the annual membership without the card AFAIK.

I did that but when I attempted to sign up with the direct debit option they wanted signed forms and proof of address. Too much hassle in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I quoted all the negative views and predictions about the Dublin Bike scheme in an older thread and Sparks came out with this...

You went to the trouble of having a dead thread re-opened just so you could have a sneer at the posters who were wrong? Bravo you.

Backfire eh! I didn't mean it to look like that, sorry, I wasn't sneering. But if you read the article in the Sunday Tribune, you will see that the Dublin bike scheme is one of the most successful on the continent. I just don't think things like this should be written off before they are introduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Anyone else been dazzled by the lights on the front of the bikes during the day? Seem to be very erratic and seem to flash very bright at moments.

As far as I an see it's the only downside.

The article from the Tribune

Didnt realise that it had earned the council 120k already - an average of €20k a week is pretty tasty. If that keeps up it is worth just over a million a year to the council. Wonder just how much of that would be spent on cycling facilities in Dublin.
    Free-wheeling fair city

Massive take-up of free bicycles makes it the most successful scheme of its kind on the continent
    Mark Hilliard

DUBLIN's free bike scheme has surpassed the 50,000 journey mark with just a single stolen bike to spoil the celebration – and that one was found.

The scheme has been hailed a massive success with 11,000 subscribers in the six weeks since its launch, more than twice the number predicted to join up in the first two years.

Dublin City Council, which runs the service with French company JC Decaux, says it is now the most successful scheme of its kind on the continent.

The unexpected level of participation will have netted the council around €120,000 to date, even with 93% of journeys being under half an hour and thereby free of charge. And there have been few problems.

"One bike was stolen from a member while on hire," a council spokeswoman said.

"The member reported this to the gardaí and the bike was recovered damaged. Two bikes on short-term membership were not returned but were subsequently located undamaged."

The scheme, which was launched on 13 September, would have cost the council €26.5m over 15 years to run it single-handedly.

Instead, JC Decaux supplies the bikes and pays for their upkeep in exchange for permission to erect 72 metro panel advertising boards which they will operate for the next 15 years.

While the deal attracted some initial criticism when it was revealed, council officials now believe it a complete success.

"The system is aimed primarily at people who are open to the advantages of cycling who don't own their own bike," a spokeswoman said.

"The location of the stations makes it easy for people to use a Dublin bike to attend a business meeting in town, visit a city attraction or venue or simply enjoy a pleasant cycle around town.

"About 75% of journeys have been by long-term members. People can also join as three-day or 72-hour members; there have been over 3,000 of these."

There are 450 bikes at 40 docks scattered around Dublin and each bike has been specially designed to avoid theft.

With an average journey time of just 16 minutes, Dublin City Council insists it is not a money-making scheme – the first 30 minutes are free.

Bicycle use as a whole in Ireland has decreased over the years, except in the capital where, between 2002 and 2006, it increased by 6%.

The free bike scheme is also designed to benefit the 5.6 million tourists who visit Dublin each year, many of whom come from countries with similar schemes.

http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news/article/2009/oct/25/free-wheeling-fair-city/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

lightening wrote: »
    I quoted all the negative views and predictions about the Dublin Bike scheme in an older thread and Sparks came out with this...

You went to the trouble of having a dead thread re-opened just so you could have a sneer at the posters who were wrong? Bravo you.

Backfire eh! I didn't mean it to look like that, sorry, I wasn't sneering. But if you read the article in the Sunday Tribune, you will see that the Dublin bike scheme is one of the most successful on the continent. I just don't think things like this should be written off before they are introduced.

Without any sarcasm intended...Bravo you Lightening.

Such a success, brilliant to see it. Hopefully it'll be a positive catalyst for the City elder lemons to take the provision of cycle lanes seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

used it for the first time today... Have to say its great...

I never usally go that far from work due to having to get back before the hour is gone but now i think ill be doing different things around the city during breaks..

Anyone know a car park beside one thats cheap? im paying 12 euro a day and i feel like im being raped...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It amazes me the city council consider the deal a success when JC Decaux have not removed ONE of the promised billboards, no EAS has taken place, or any of the other conditions of them getting planning permission for the horrid big 'Metropole' things..

Delighted the bikes are a goer - terrible pity they had to be tied up with a shower like JC Decaux. The bike scheme could easily have been done by DCC alone.

According to the Irish Times last Saturday, some 11,500 have signed up as long term users. Also reported are the plans you talk about to expand capacity although I can't see any mention of extra bikes.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1024/1224257392022.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I signed up recently for the yearly scheme and my number is not far of 21000. I had my first trip the other day and it was very good.
    I wonder has anyone gone for a long spin yet. I wonder how far is it possible to go while still remaining within the rules of usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

chughes wrote: »
    I signed up recently for the yearly scheme and my number is not far of 21000. I had my first trip the other day and it was very good.
    I wonder has anyone gone for a long spin yet. I wonder how far is it possible to go while still remaining within the rules of usage.
    Two students from TCD cycled to County Down on DB bikes and returned them within the time limit, it was mentioned in boards, I'll see if I can find the link.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/friends-take-city-bikes-across-border-within-24hour-limit-1904192.html

County Down is a serious spin alright. I was thinking maybe Greystones or Balbriggan. Did the students have any evidence of this trip ? (Photos/witnesses)

I've just seen your posted link now Vektarman. Thanks for that. I see the guys had to get a lift back. I not surprised as I'd say it was hard work cycling those bikes that distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I've been on the bikes a handful of times now, and I've noticed the following:

1. The seat doesn't raise quite high enough for me. I'm not that tall (6'1), and it makes cycling a bit uncomfortable as my legs never fully extend.

2. The brakes are uniformly stiff on any of the bikes I've been on. Is this is a deliberate tactic to stop people flying over handlebars city-wide?

3. You can change gears but be prepared to wait a few seconds for it to actually happen.

4. Despite the operators apparently being aware of the problem, there is a long way to go to get certain stations balanced in terms of stock of bikes. The station just off Nth Frederick St is routinely empty at weekends. This Monday morning at 7.30 am there were only 2 bikes there, and I yoinked one.

I hope increasing subscriber numbers and poor rotation of bikes between stations doesn't restrict the functionality of the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

the lock in the basket makes a handy drink holder

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Ekaterina

Hey guys,

how do you actually find it to cycle on db through all this busy traffic in the city center? There are no helmets there provided, are there? And I mean its probably a hassle to bring your own one, even though I saw some people cycling with helmets on the db's... Do you think it would be a good idea if there were helmets as well provided? Or is it fine to cycle without? I mean I would not be glad to be the reason for the next gost bike to be added to the two that are already there in Dublin... What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I go on the paths a lot.

Ooops! Eh I mean I just cycle carefully and slowly around the city.

;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Ekaterina wrote: »
    how do you actually find it to cycle on db through all this busy traffic in the city center? There are no helmets there provided, are there? And I mean its probably a hassle to bring your own one, even though I saw some people cycling with helmets on the db's...
    DBs are big enough, solid enough and slow enough to make crashes at any sort of speed unlikely. I always wear a helmet on my own bike, but don't bother on a DB.
    Do you think it would be a good idea if there were helmets as well provided?
    Aside from being impractical, it would give the impression that it's more dangerous than it actually is.
    What do you think?
    The number one way to make cycling in the city safer is to have more cyclists. Get out and give it a go. Be careful, obey the Rules of the Road, and you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Ekaterina

Hey guys,

Thank for all your responses so far! I am actually researchen db users opinions on helmets as part of my college project at DCU. And I was given an advice on another db thread here that I should tell all about the project first and then actually ask questions if I want people to actually help me:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monument View Post
    That's not an approach that is welcomed here or on most online communities. Be upfront about things and people are more likely to help you.

So very sorry about approaching it in the wrong way - I am quite new on boards and did not get yet how things work here and will try to be better in future

So, what my project is all about:

It is a team DCU project for the module "New Enterprise Development" where we were given a task to develop a business idea and conduct a market research on it to check its viability. The business idea is NOT intended to be implemented in practice ans is for study purposes only.

My team's idea was to supply rental helmets at dublin bikes stations. To sort out the hygiene issue we thought of one-way (can be recyclable) helmet inlayers that would be provided for free, plus free sanitiser liquid.

We even created an online survey for db users, but never got a chance to get a right place to post a link to it (http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/C67CKXH). And we were surveying face-to-face at db stations recently as well. We found out so far that some db user would welcome the helmets and would even be willing to pay a small additional fee for this service while others would only use the helmets if they were free of service charge and only would cost "less than the bikes per year" and the third group of db users would not really use them at all.

All statistics I was asking for is to be able to make a theoretical revenue projection in the report on this college project which is due within 2 weeks now.

If any of db users would find 5 mins to complete our survey - it would be a great help as well as if some more detailed opinions on this purely theoretical business idea could be posted on this forum, which would make it almost like a focus group that we had to conduct for the project as well.

So may thanks to everyone for help and sorry for the wrong initial approach again!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It won't accept my answers to Question 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Scien wrote: »
    Great to see it working so well.
    I initially thought it was a bit stupid not to have them on the go after 12am but the more I think about it the more it makes sense.
    If you could get them after a night out you'd see them rolling down Harcourt St. at 4am with noone on 'em! :)

Saw some lads having a gawk at the stand at the Central Bank after having come out of The Foggy Dew shortly after they first launched. There were thinking of going for a spin, which wouldn't have been a good situation given their condition. Knocked it on the head when they realised it wasn't working and stumbled off home. Had a brief frightening glimpse of the possibility of the utter chaos there would have been if this was available late night.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lucidus

"Please note that VISA Electron and Laser Maestro debit cards are not accepted."

does anyone know a way around this? i really want a long term subscription. i have two different bank accounts, unfortunately one is visa electron and the other is laser maestro :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

lucidus wrote: »
    does anyone know a way around this? i really want a long term subscription. i have two different bank accounts, unfortunately one is visa electron and the other is laser maestro :-/

You can fill out a direct debit mandate I think which removes the need for a payment card. Alternatively, get a credit card - the system can't work with debit cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 lucidus

ok thanks for the reply, i'll look at the direct debit option- i've only just got rid of my credit cards, don't want another; ever!

it does seem a bit silly that it can't work with debit cards- i wouldn't mind paying a deposit straight away or whatever. i'd say this has stopped a lot of people from joining up, which is a bit of a shame.

Advertisement