Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rutland Place / Summerhill

Options
  • 07-10-2009 9:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Whats it like? Is it a safe place to live?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

Whats it like? Is it a safe place to live?

If I was to move back into town that'd be an area I'd avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Way down my list of places to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭MCMT

You will be dead within 6 days.;)

To be honest, I know some people renting in the area who have no complaints. But, by and large, anyone else I know that has lived there hasn't felt particularly comfortable. You just have to decide if feeling at ease every time you step outside the door is a priority or not.

I looked at some lovely gaffs in that area fairly recently but, with my girlfriend not being from here, I decided it wasn't worth the possible hassle.

Plus having a car is likely out of the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Nightmare of a place. I lived on north strand and even the police don't drive down summerhill. Lovely old housing stock but yuppies beware! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I wouldn't feel very comfortable living round there. Might be ok if you plan to be out most of the time or don't have a car (because I guess if it was any way nice it would be robbed). I would avoid TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Grawns wrote: »
    Nightmare of a place. I lived on north strand and even the police don't drive down summerhill. Lovely old housing stock but yuppies beware! :eek:
    yep same here, used to have to walk through there after a night out in my regular haunt a certain bar on parnell street.. not the nicest of areas to say the least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭giardiniera

Thanks for all that, its for a friend i'll pass it on to her. dont think she'll chance it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭petecork

I see on google maps theres a Rutland St about 2-3 mins walk from the intersection of Parnell/Gardiner St, is this the area you are talking about?

Hoping to buy an apartment here (Parnell/Gardiner St):
    Google Earth Link of location: http://bit.ly/m5MSfr

but the comments on forums dont look good for Rutland St and it looks like its just 2-3 mins walk away from where I'm thinking of moving to (parnell/Gardiner st)
    MCMT wrote: »
    You will be dead within 6 days.;)

To be honest, I know some people renting in the area who have no complaints. But, by and large, anyone else I know that has lived there hasn't felt particularly comfortable. You just have to decide if feeling at ease every time you step outside the door is a priority or not.

I looked at some lovely gaffs in that area fairly recently but, with my girlfriend not being from here, I decided it wasn't worth the possible hassle.

Plus having a car is likely out of the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

Dangerous kip and only going to get more dangerous over the next few years

• Registered Users Posts: 25 BrianBlessed

You know that an area is really bad when you don't have any loopers coming on defending the place saying 'ah sure never mind the brutal murders, there's a great community spirit and some lovely football pitches'

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

Lived there for a year, absolute kip. Avoid Please :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

About 15 years ago I nearly bought an apartment there, later found out that it was owned by someone from a monastery, stay away!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

you do know this thread is 2 years old right;)

Any way. rutland place is not the same as rutland street, though they're close to each other. Rutland place has severe parking restrictions, (though you don't need one living so close to town.)

Its a mature residential street, with some renters on it , but overall fairly safe as its a cul-de-sac. nobody runs through it, althought the lane @ thompsons cottagess does give access to the ncr and summerhill itself.

AFAIK douglas hydes family are originally from there.
    The local shop is grand, despite some heavy hitters owning it.:)
    The only pub worth going to is the bridge tavern.

but with four schools within walking distance, 2 librarys,croke park , and 2 mins walk to town make it far more 'pro' than 'con' in my opinion.

Advertisement