Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should you clean up after your dog in public places?

Options
  • 07-10-2009 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

My pet peeve...
    I have two dogs and a cat of my own but I have to say, I'm getting really really REALLY sick of going to public parks & having to dodge the dog mess left all over the place by other dog owners, I dont understand why people cant just clean up after their dogs? It's as simple as... if you cant look after it why don't you just give it away to someone who can or just leave it at home???...
    Personally, I think they should be banned from public parks / walkways as the owners cant do this simple task, would love to see other dog owners views on this?...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Most places have signs up saying you'll be fined and or court appearance if you don't clean up after your dog.
    All you can do is clean up after your own and if you see someone not doing so, either tell them or report them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

jogging round my local park is becoming more like dump dodging at thr moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Dingleye

I know!!! I've been in Phoenix park a few times the last few weeks & it seems to be everywhere :( the boyfriend was out on his bike the other day & cycled in it n the smell had my stomach heaving. Forget fines, if people are caught they should take the dog off them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

There is NO excuse for not picking up after your dog. If ive run out of bags on a walk ive actually gone home and gone back to the spot to clean it up because id feel too bad. Its unhygienic,unpleasant and a health hazard. Why people think its acceptable to just leave it on the ground for all and sundry to walk in is beyond me.

But like loads of things in this country, its not followed through thoroughly with adequate deterrents like fines and/or prosecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mockler007

i cycle on alot of trails, on monday i got 4 different poohs on one rear wheel, the next mutt i see ****ting on the trail, i will mow the owner down,
    i find it funny how these owners moan at us cyclists using the trails, but let their dog take a dump on the trail, newsflash the byelaws state that all dogs must be on a lead, ive yet to see that in the feeno .

STOP BEING UNCARING MORANS AND BRING A POOP SCOOP,
    OPW PUT UP DOG **** BINS ON THE TRAILS & WALKWAYS
    OWNERS PUT YOUR MUTTS ON A LEAD
    IF YOUR TO LAZY TO CLEAN UP **** GET A CAT
    DONT BLAME THE DOGS, BLAME THE OWNERS, IF THATS WHAT YOU CALL YOURSELFS:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Sean.2

People think just because the are in a public place someone else will clean up after them, bet if the poo was on there grass or front door from another dog how would they react. :pac::pac::pac:

Sean.2 wrote: »
    People think just because the are in a public place someone else will clean up after them, bet if the poo was on there grass or front door from another dog how would they react. :pac::pac::pac:

Bring a shovel with you, pick up their poo, follow them home and put it through their letterbox :D bet they wouldnt do it again in a hurry

:pac: - - - - - - - - - - - - :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mockler007

that's a great idea, i will follow them home and take a big steamy dump on their lawn,

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭LillyVanilli

Before Im lynched I do clean up after my dog but when I walk my dog at the beach, I pick it up but throw it in the sea. I mostly walk at beaches where people dont swim. Is this acceptable or disgusting?

mockler007 wrote: »
    that's a great idea, i will follow them home and take a big steamy dump on their lawn,

Ha ha ha :D

... Off you trot :p

• Advertisement

Ruby2Shoes wrote: »
    Before Im lynched I do clean up after my dog but when I walk my dog at the beach, I pick it up but throw it in the sea. I mostly walk at beaches where people dont swim. Is this acceptable or disgusting?

:eek: I'd think most would say that it's disguisting...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I ALWAYS pick it up - I find at the beach it's easier as it kinda 'sits' on top of the sand, instead of amongst grass.
    At least at the beach it's going to be brought out with the tide. It's still disgusting, sure while you're picking it up to 'throw it into the sea' why don't you just hold onto it until you can 'throw it into a bin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Twixster

I live in D6 and I spend most of my walking time dodging s**te on the footpath, it really gets on my wick :rolleyes: I wish people would leave their dogs locked up if their not prepared to clean up after them in a public place :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

I always clean up after my dog too. Though, she's a prissy little madam and doesn't like pooing in public but that's a different story :rolleyes: Even when she's at my in-laws' house and had a poo in their garden, I'll pick it up and flush it down a toilet.

There's NO excuse for not picking up after your dog. Sadly, it just takes a few dog walkers who refuse to do this to ruin it for everyone.

Would love to see people made examples of in cases like this. Have a few people up in court and fined €10k for not picking up after their dog (or, on a bit of a tangent, leaving a dirty nappy in a carpark or on a beack; another huge pet peeve of mine) and people might think twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Sean.2

Has any one heard of someone being fined for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

H*ll yeah!

It drives me mad when the owners think it's ok to leave it on the grass verges, kids love to play on grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Yes, you should clean up after your dog in public places.
    I carry a roll of nappy bags in my pocket and one in the car. I will clean up on beaches, parks, grass, footpaths, etc, but when waking in woods or similar and the dog goes off into the undergrowth, where no-one would be walking, I will leave it.
    It's not pleasant but it's my responsibility as a dog owner.
    In my estate most of the dogs are allowed roam free, so there's sh*t everywhere and I've been laughed at for doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Twixster wrote: »
    I live in D6 and I spend most of my walking time dodging s**te on the footpath, it really gets on my wick :rolleyes: I wish people would leave their dogs locked up if their not prepared to clean up after them in a public place :mad:

I live in D6 too and I and any other dog owners I know do pick up after their dogs, so don't tar us all with the one brush. The one or two owners who don't pick up after their dogs give the rest of us a bad name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 petchums.com

Theres no excuse for not picking it up... I went for a walk this evening with jesse, tired after a long day I forgot to bring bags with me and of course she did a huge one only mins after we got out the door. Yes it's a pain but I did the walk put her back inside and went back out to clean it up.. When you own a dog you that's what you do, it's very simple...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭ro09

Ruby2Shoes wrote: »

yes but if you throw it in the sea it will only float back in again with the tide, so it is going to end up on the beach eventually and probably in the area of swimmers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Took the dogs to Sandymount Strand for the first time the other day. The tide was in so we had to walk along the path/grass area and I was absolutely shocked at the amount of dog poo, lots of it trodden into the ground. I wouldn't mind but there are a huge amount of bins, even those bins specifically for dog poo in a really short distance of each other.

We always, always, always pick up after our dogs and find the scented nappy bags really handy, expecially if there isn't a bin close by and you have to carry the poo for a while! I have to say though that the lack of bins in the area I live in and pretty much around most Dublin suburbs is terrible. I see lots of signs warning people about littering and fines for not picking up after their dogs but no bins in close proximity. It is still however not an excuse for not picking up your dog's poo :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

I was in Italy during the summer & noticed the local police going up to people with dogs and asking to see their bags. Apparently it is illegal not to have at least 2 bags with you at all times you are out with a dog in a public space & there is an on the spot fine for not having them (not sure how much the fine is).

I have offered bags to people who I assume "forgot" to bring some out and been to get lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

It drives me crazy when people don't pick up after their dogs! Its disgusting and disrespectful to other park / trail users. OK so carrying around a bag of poos isn't glamorous but dogs need to be cleaned up after. I have the pleasure of carrying around bags of poo everyday and I'm over it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭annefitzy

Do what I done a few yrs ago.....I was with my daughter and there was this guy who was walking his J/R well anyway the doggy decided to have a poop on the foot path and the man just looked at in and proceded to walk on....I ran up to him and handed him a nappy bag and he just looked at it and at me and said what the fluck...I pointed at the poop he said it wasnt belonging to his dog....My daughter bless her turned to him and said thats funny how come I have a picture of your dog pooping on my camera phone:eek: she also said to him if you are not able to manage to bend down and pick it up I will do it for you so you can dispose of it in the next bin you pass:) Man with a big red face picked up the poop and disposed of it in the bin a few yards down the road, my daughter bless her ran after him and handed him some extra nappy sacks in case he was ever stuck again and told him he was a good boy:D

My daughter is autistic and has a way with animals and older people, we didnt have to be rude or anything like that....Over the yrswe kept meeting the same man walking his dog and he always says I have some bags in my pocket....sometimes its lack of respect that people dont clean up after there pets and othertimes people just dont think about it like the person my daughter befriended;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

On the beach i wouldn't throw into sea, i'd be more inclined to bury it. But would normally pick it up, def if its near summer and kids might be playing.

I do sometimes not pick up as dog has a habit of backing himself into thick undergrowth, and i see it that if its a lot of effort for me to get, its out of the way enough.

Tbh have never seen my dog do it on concrete he seems to not like to, has to be grass and even then prefers long grass or bush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Sativa_soul

I always walk my dog on the beach aswell - and I have one of those fancy leashes with the roll of poo bags in the handle so I'm a willing and responsible owner when it comes to this area - the problem is tho - he always and I mean ALWAYS does his business in the sea - right in the waves swirling around his bottom - I've been scolded once for not cleaning it up - but I mean - I couldn't find it?!?!?! It's impossible! So as much as I want to do the right thing - nature does take its way - I mean - it will disintegrate - I never see anyone swimming there (would anyone in their right mind swim on Dollymount with that god-forsaken smell that's usually there???) and it's a guarantee that no one will step in it. So is this a win-win?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

We always pick up our dogs poos, and am mortofied when we forget bags or run out (we have one champion pooer - 5 times on walks sometimes!). Sometimes, if I can remember when it is the next time we are walking, I'll pick it up. There is a disused field/wasteland where we walk and we usually throw the poo bags in there (this is because we buy biodegradable bags, no harm done!) and quite a few of the locals do the same. The thing that really gets me is people leaving it in the middle of the path, where everyone can walk in it, cycle through it and roll their prams through it, then drag it into the house - gross. Someones dog (never found out who) pooed 2 feet from our front door around the bushes, the OH rolled the bin in it when he brought it out and then rolled it into the house the next day. Neither of us could believe someone whould leave a poo that close to their neighbours front door.

Advertisement