Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Inspiron 1521 laptop, anybody own one?

• 07-10-2009 10:48am
    Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone around Waterford happen to have a Dell Inspiron 1521 laptop, I sort of need someone with this machine to charge up a battery for my sister.

Her original charger went on her laptop and she bought a generic type as a replacement and it ended up blowing her laptop totally. What she now need to do is to try and get her original battery charged up so she can try retrieve here pictures and personal files from the hard drive.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Sounds like a bit more went on than battery issues! You could try removing the HDD and placing it in an external caddy and connect it to a seperate PC.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

AdMMM wrote: »
    Sounds like a bit more went on than battery issues! You could try removing the HDD and placing it in an external caddy and connect it to a seperate PC.

I'd say your dead right, its just it did start up for a few mins afterwards and ran normally until the battery died. We also know its more that the charger which blew because we have tried other compatable chargers along with here faulty original charger and they wont wont charge or even power up the laptop without a battery attached to it.

I have though about removing the HD but I dont have a 2.5 caddy., If someone had a 2.5 caddy which I could borrow that was be excellent too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I'd say your dead right, its just it did start up for a few mins afterwards and ran normally until the battery died. We also know its more that the charger which blew because we have tried other compatable chargers along with here faulty original charger and they wont wont charge or even power up the laptop without a battery attached to it.

I have though about removing the HD but I dont have a 2.5 caddy., If someone had a 2.5 caddy which I could borrow that was be excellent too.

It might cost you a couple of quid, but if you can't get a loan of a caddy, bring it to one of the computer shops in town, like PC world, they have the gear to do it and pull the info you need.

Thanks, however knowing what pc world charge I'd be better of buying an 2.5 external HD and stripping that down and putting in her HD into that. That way I could pull all the data that she needs plus get an additional HD thrown in. I'll probaby just go onto eBay and buy a caddy and then afterwards she will have an external HD aswell.

I did buy one of those caddys before though and it packed in after a couple of uses, mind you it did come from hk. I guess it's true what they say, you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I can't help directly (being a Toshiba fanboy myself) but having just checked around a little on the interweb can see that many of the Dell Inspiron laptops use the same battery so you'd likely get away with just finding an Inspiron owner.

for example, this site ( http://www.upgrademaster.com/inspiron-1521-c4636/ ) sells the same battery for many of the Inspiron models.

M

• Advertisement

old gregg wrote: »
    I can't help directly (being a Toshiba fanboy myself) but having just checked around a little on the interweb can see that many of the Dell Inspiron laptops use the same battery so you'd likely get away with just finding an Inspiron owner.

for example, this site ( http://www.upgrademaster.com/inspiron-1521-c4636/ ) sells the same battery for many of the Inspiron models.

M

Thought that too, but I have tried a couple of Inspiron models and they were either too big or to small

According to the link you posted, it seems that the 1520, 1521, 1720, 1721 all use the same battery so, I guess if anyone has any of these models and you can help me out, I would appreciate it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Hi OP,
    Try Brendan who owns CyberMart and the CTC down on Gladstone Street
    http://www.ctcentre.net/
    he is fairly sound and may be able to help you out at a reasonable rate.

If I was in your shoes bring laptop to someone who knows how to hook the HardDrive into something and get a copy of all the IMPORTANT files (you dont need everything) put on the DVD. That Laptop may not have much of a life left in it. Even if you do get it going it can't be trusted.

- BFG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

I'll see if my caddy can support 2.5" hard drives and if it does I'll give you a bell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I have a 1521 anyway if needed. PM me if ya want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Dude, you could have just dropped me a text ..

*sigh*

Drop me a text tomorrow and I'll see what I can do ? Have you checked to see if the machine is in warranty ?

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot guys, I'll get in touch with some of ye tomorrow if thats ok

@Junior, its definitely out of warranty.

Are you sure the machine was working fine with the battery semi-charged? I only ask because I'm currently using my laptop without any battery and just with the power plugged in. You could very well have blown the power supply which will be expensive to replace!

And I actually have to thank you for this thread. Seeing as I just took out my battery to see if the adapter was enough to power it, I got a look at the battery and saw that Dell supplied me with a 54w battery instead of the 94w battery that I've paid for. Unholy war will be declared if they don't send me out the right one, even if I've had it for two years!

AdMMM wrote: »
    Are you sure the machine was working fine with the battery semi-charged? I only ask because I'm currently using my laptop without any battery and just with the power plugged in. You could very well have blown the power supply which will be expensive to replace!

all that we know is it worked for about 20 mins after it blew then the battery died. I am just hoping that once we get the battery charged, the laptop should start up and run for long enough to recover what's needed from the HD, once we have done that, the laptop will be dumped. I am well aware of the cost involved in having to replace the main power supply within the laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Dependant on the laptop the main power supply can either be onboard the motherboard, or it can be an individual unit with a cable run to the motherboard, but having had a look at the board for a 1521 it has the power on board.

I'll be honest lad your best bet is just to whip the drive out and stick it into a desktop, if you can't do that, like I say give me a text during the day I'll have a quick look at it, see if I can pop out the drive and get your data back.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

If you need assistance with getting your data back out - I have the gear for it here. Supports Sata and IDE drives. :)

Thanks again for all the replies lads, thanks to Junior, I wasnt aware that I could just connect up the HD from her laptop directly up to my desktop and dump the data from there. Thankfully I have been able to recover all her data and pics for her, over 40g of pictures too, if nothing else, it will teach her to make sure she has back ups in the future.

thanks again for all the replies and suggestions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement