Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best camera for web photos

• 07-10-2009 10:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I have a website selling weddding favours and the stock and designs change regularly.
    Initially we went to a professional to get all the photos taken and it worked out well.
    However we can't return to her on a weekly basis when we slightly alter a design, or add, let's say, a box for Hallowe'en etc.

We have decided to buy a digital camera so we can produce our own images.

So firstly I need recommendations for a good camera that will capture detail and colour.
    Apart from a tripod do we need anything else?
    I have seen tutorials on how to make our own lightbox so we will give that a go. ;)

Not certain of our camera budget, perhaps in the region of 500-1000 euro.
    Thanks in advance
    Sinead

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

newwifey wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I have a website selling weddding favours and the stock and designs change regularly.
    Initially we went to a professional to get all the photos taken and it worked out well.
    However we can't return to her on a weekly basis when we slightly alter a design, or add, let's say, a box for Hallowe'en etc.

We have decided to buy a digital camera so we can produce our own images.

So firstly I need recommendations for a good camera that will capture detail and colour.
    Apart from a tripod do we need anything else?
    I have seen tutorials on how to make our own lightbox so we will give that a go. ;)

Not certain of our camera budget, perhaps in the region of 500-1000 euro.
    Thanks in advance
    Sinead

a second hand canon eos 10d would be fine if you want it done for a nice price, iso 100 is prob all you need. the lens depends on what you are shooting, do you need close up/macro type shots?
    do you want a blurred out background?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭newwifey

Hi
    Here is a typical photo from our site

th_ChampagneCone.jpg

We are mainly concerned with colour reproduction, clarity and detail.
    Background to be as it is in the above photo.
    Dont want customers to be able to pick out our crappy photos against the professional ones!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

I just noticed you are in Sligo!! You prob won't be too intereested in my PM then :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

As this is just for Web use & you will not be printing the images, then you really do not need too much in the way of a camera itself.

What is more important is the lighting. As you have said, a light box would be a good way to go. As the objects are only small then you could get away with the white clothes hamper (sold in Dunnes I think) laid on it's side.

The camera only needs to be a compact or bridge camera, but the one thing it will need is a Hot Shoe. Looking at the photo's on your site I am not sure if one or two flashes were used with a lot of diffusion (probably shot inside a Lightbox) I think there may be just one, above to the right of shot, with a reflector to the left to provide fill light (they also had a dirty sensor as the same spots appear on each shot)

So to recreate these shots you would need a camera with a Hot Shoe, a Flash, a Remote cable/trigger, Lightbox & reflector. A mini Tripod could also be handy.

I would suggest that you find a Photographer to set the equipment up & get the light correct. Then you can use the rig as you need as the rest would be just placing new products in the sweet spot & pushing the shutter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭xprepairs

First of all you have a really LARGE budget from what I can see. I do photography in the USA and just bought an inexpensive Nikon camera which works great! http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001PK8FHE/mabl0b-20

I use this as my 2nd camera in Beach and Wedding Photography....it works great. It's a no fuss no muss camera- all automatic settings but GREAT quality.
    Quote: "It is not the equipment that makes the photographer, it's the person using the equipment, experience is everything"

I enclosed a 3 pic panorama shot I took last friday with the Nikon and also a pic I took zooming in on a pine cone that I threw into a pond....without a tripod

• Advertisement
Advertisement