Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self build insurance

Options
  • 07-10-2009 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi everybody,
    I'm just starting out - got a few quotes for self build insurance. I'm wondering if you should opt for the extras all risk contract works(fire,storm,theft,damage)?

Here are the quotes so far for a 390 sq met build (incl garage)

A. Keystone: €1328 for 24 months public liabilty + employers liability (€488 extra for all risk contract works)

B. Broker (zurich) €2800 for 24 months public liabilty + employers liability

C. Arachas (royal sun al) €2050 for 18 months public liabilty + employers+fire + storm liability. €2295 for all risk contract works. Also rebate of €150 towards home insurance with them if build finishes before term. Cover can be extended in 3 month block for €130.

Any other companies I should contact?
    Any recommendations?

Thanks so much ruan rua

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 donal1981

Self build insurance is a maze.

I tried 5 or 6 places & got the best quote from Hooper Dolan Galway.

Try them - let me know how ya get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

Frost Insurance quoted me 1450 for a large extension - basic package no theft etc. (2500 sq ft).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ruanrua

Thanks a million,
    will give them both a bell tomorrow :)
    R

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

We got ours off Alliance, 1500 euro. 2500sq foot "extension ".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ruanrua

Self build insurance.ie hopper Dolan so far the best at 1458 for 2 years. Still waiting on more quotes :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 trevboy

Have just sorted site insurance for a site in Fermanagh.

Wife rang around and got 2 quotes both around £500 - full cover.

Dont know if insurance in the north would cover a site in the south :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭voodoo

Hey Rog68,

Can you send me on details of alliance (or is it allianz) that you got your quote from. Doesnt sound too bad - am building a 2500sqft house also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

I got the best quote from Frost insurances - 1100 straight for employers liability and public liability for 2 years for 320 sqm house. Arachas were over double!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Gracie100

Got a great quote from Frost Insurances. It was a Lot cheaper than anywhere else and it runs for two years. They also include a Safety Statement in the deal which is good. The guy was also very informative and gave you some good tips. Hibernian were off the wall expensive as were FBD. Hooper Dolan were the best after that but still about €400 dearer. Thanks for your help. Ill buy a few pints now!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 uxak

frost is the one for me too. 3000 sqfoot house 1450 euro for 2 years..

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭voodoo

Guys,

Maybe a stupid question, but what is the risk of not getting insurance on a site for self build? I spoke to a friend who built two years ago and asked him how much he spent on insurance and he said that they didn't take insurance out as each tradesmen that they engaged had their own public liability.

I suppose one of the risks is where any of your materials onsite are stolen or if someone wanders onto the site and gets injured. Are there any other reasons for doing it and could you get away with not having insurance - just thinking 1400 could help insulate the house a little better

voodoo wrote: »
    Guys,

Maybe a stupid question, but what is the risk of not getting insurance on a site for self build? I spoke to a friend who built two years ago and asked him how much he spent on insurance and he said that they didn't take insurance out as each tradesmen that they engaged had their own public liability.

I suppose one of the risks is where any of your materials onsite are stolen or if someone wanders onto the site and gets injured. Are there any other reasons for doing it and could you get away with not having insurance - just thinking 1400 could help insulate the house a little better
    Each tradesman having his own insurance does not afford you sufficient protection. You are the project manager and you have ultimate responsibility for health and safety. The main cover under self build policies is liability insurance, be it to the public or those engaged in the build. Unless you can 100% prove that 1 particular tradesman contributed 100% towards the injury, you will be named in any action. Examples could be a plasterer using scaffolding that collapses and injures someone. Upon investigation it is discovered that someone altered the scaffolding. Do you think that someone is going to admit to it?, not a chance. All a solicitor has to establish is that the injury happened on your site and away he goes.

I could go on, but trust me, I wouldn't build a shed without self build insurance. Don't forget, until the house is completed and occupied, it is not covererd under the Family Home Protedtion Act and you may just hand over the keys to any injured party

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 griffk

hooper dolan insurance best by far

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

griffk wrote: »
    hooper dolan insurance best by far

What range of prices/quotes did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Chief99

Just seen this tread now.

I ended up going with Frost 1450 for approx. 3300 sq foot, full cover for 2 years. Got quoted double from Hibernian

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭clint_eastman

Chief99 wrote: »
    Just seen this tread now.

I ended up going with Frost 1450 for approx. 3300 sq foot, full cover for 2 years. Got quoted double from Hibernian

I finally agreed on €1350 with Frosts, they may have discounted on the €1450 as I've other insurance with them....they were by far the cheapest option although the excess is a bit high at €600.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Frost Insurance. €1488 for 2 years for 3400 square foot. Has anyone found any cheaper than Frost?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,050 ✭✭✭✭muffler

QuoteDevil.ie are one of the commercial interaction firms on Boards.ie and can be found on the "talk to" forum here.

I have no idea what their premiums are like of if they even quote for this type of cover but it costs nothing to ask.

I obviously have no connection with the firm other than being aware that they interact with boardsies.

Edit: Have just asked the question there myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭mendel

just a comment to say pricing around Hooper Dolan by far the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭moan 77

building a 2700 sq ft domer house hoppers dolans price 1400 they said this was a good deal so took it out, i had a friend who built 2 years ago a paid 4000 for same size house but its a two story. but after seen this i should have shopped around every hundred counts

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

I can't agree about Hooper Dolan being so great, they were €600 more expensive than Frost Insurances over a 24 month policy. Money talks and Frost supply a Safety Statement template too
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭moan 77

I got robbed, I should have gone to frost insurance only € 1,000 would have saved meself € 400 if i held me powder dry. dam dam it.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

I got 3 quotes based on the recommendations on this thread:

1. Frost Insurances €1525 for all risks, 24 months
    €1400 for basic cover without all risks, 24 months

2. Keystone, €1330 for all risks, 24 months

3. Hooper Dolan, €1075 for all risks, 12 months cover. Option to buy additional 3 month extensions at €300 each

We went with Hooper Dolan as we have an 8 month build schedule but we have a 4 month buffer before we would need to extend. This suited us but some might have a longer schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭lilylarkin

I need to knock a few internal walls in a cottage and carry out renovations. I cant seem to get cover for this. Would it be covered under house Insurance policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,050 ✭✭✭✭muffler

lilylarkin wrote: »
    I need to knock a few internal walls in a cottage and carry out renovations. I cant seem to get cover for this. Would it be covered under house Insurance policy?
    You wouldn't get insurance yourself for this. You would need to employ an architectural technician or engineer who has insurance cover for this type of work. They need to survey the property first and then confirm what you can and cannot do.

You can get self build insurance for Renovation projects but, to my knowledge, only Frost Insurances and Hooper Dolan offer it.

As for Engineers & Architectural Technicians having insurance for this, their cover is likely to be restricted to Professional Indemnity and Public Liability for THEIR activities on site. It will not usually cover laibility for actual construction work on site or provide you with sufficient protection for anyone you appoint on site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 8vSport

hi all

just wondering if anybody has taken out self build insurance with public liability lately? we are hoping to start our build next month and are looking into getting it as we are doing the build by direct labour.
    any prices and names of companies would be great.
    thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭steifanc

yeah i did , €1300 for 24 mts all risk includeing theft , from frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

steifanc wrote: »
    yeah i did , €1300 for 24 mts all risk includeing theft , from frost
    Off topic, but I had to giggle at the picture that popped into my head of a slow frost floating across the field, and somehow stealing all your stuff.

149362.jpg

Advertisement