Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much time do you spend training/playing the AI

• 07-10-2009 10:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Just throwing out a quick question. Personally I spend about 10 minutes at most in training when I boot up SFIV for the first time in a day. Usually to just move across the screen alternating between Akumas varying demon throws, hammer fists and dive kicks. Then I'll try a few tatsu crossups into reset.

It's really only to shake off the cobwebs though, I don't think I learn anything new in training. Haven't played the AI in months either.

I'll usually then jump right into online.

What about others here? Would you spend a fair bit of time in training everyday?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Mostly the same, I'll go into training when I first turn on. I dont have too many combo's to try out as Blanka so I try to get the old fingers moving at speed for my electricity combo's. I'll also try to get Blanka's link into Ultra a few times, cos that 1 frame link is a bitch.

I never fight the AI, pointless!! I do use the record feature in training though, I think this is a great feature!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I rarely play the AI unless its to complete challenges. I'll sometimes go into training mode and put the AI on Hardest and no stun just to get a good practice.

Before I play Championship, I'll play a few games in player modes and try to get in all of my characters basic combos in twice or three times.

From my friends lists, there are plenty of people in training each day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i go on to practice stuff i see in videos, then i try replicate it online and fail miserably.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭meducation

i use the record option in training, probably the most i play is if i have request mode on but ya never finish games against the a.i like that..
    dont play much of that anymore though

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭DarkTalant

I spend most of my play-time in training mode beating the dummy to a bloody pulp as my internet is too shaky for SF4 most of the time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

I love how you can see the damage of your combos. Goes to show a lot of flashy things are pointless when something more basic does more damage, this is massively true with ken for example.

The record option is great.

I can see my self spending a lot of time in training when I finally get my hands on a fight stick.

I don't spend a massive amount of time in training though, if I start trying out a new character, for example I recently started messing with Gen, I'd have a shot of the trials and spend 10 mins in training, the rest I learn from actually fighting people. Until I come across something I need , like a solid anti air, I'll go back and try to test which normals suit best in what situations using the record feature, which takes about 2 mins, then straight back online again.

I'd learn a lot more about characters when I fight people who are really good with them, and I get to watch back replays of that fight. Unfortunately the 2nd option isnt that do-able in SF4 yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    I love how you can see the damage of your combos. Goes to show a lot of flashy things are pointless when something more basic does more damage, this is massively true with ken for example.
    Don't forget though that "flashy" things can cause more Stun damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

In training mode.............none. I find it really boring and learnt all my tricks from fights. I've only completed 5 hard trials amongst the entire roster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I'm really hoping SSFIV has an online training mode. It doesn't make sense to me that they have a local setting for training infinitely against a human player but not an online option. Would be better than being kicked out to the menu every few rounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I dont spend much time in training. Ive got the execution from hell so I just stick to basic stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

bush wrote: »
    I dont spend much time in training. Ive got the execution from hell so I just stick to basic stuff.

Shenanigans :p

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

About 3 days ago I spent a unmerciful 2 Hrs training, and the out come of it is a new 12 Hit combo and 9 hit :D

Proud moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Not a minute, straight into online.
    Probably why I have 1 combo and 1 combo alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Spend time training before going online?

No wonder I always get my ass wopped:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

My new regime is to only play player matches. I'm learning nothing in championship or ranked mode.

As it's real hit and miss to get player matches on the PC I'll turn on requests and jump into training against the AI in arcade mode and wait for someone else to find me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Arctic Zombie

The only people I really ever play online are those from these boards. Any other time I'm on the game is probably be smashing around a dummy in training mode. So I'd say I spend quite a bit of time in training.

I should prob spend more time in training practicing combos , my execution kills my game a lot of the time. Mainly when I'm facing really good players so that it becomes more important that when I finally land a hit it leads to something big. Sometimes I can pull off really good stuff but a lot of the time if ****s up and I gotta just go for a throw or something. My worst days I'm fighting to get my character to do wtf I'm telling him to do as well as fighting my opponent :(

I've been kinda holding off doing that those as I feel it'd be a bit of a waste of time as I wanna move from pad to stick asap. And I'd have to learn it all over again then.

It'd be really nice if you could turn on request mode for training so you could train and have people challenge you if you wanted. I never play arcade mode. I really hope they add better filtering settings so I can filter online players by there actual PING in other words so I'd only be open to being challenged by those with a max of 100 ping or under. Searching by stability is useless.

Filter by region would be handy too but we've all talked about this before so this would is going off topic but yeah training more request mode with better filters would be nice! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I spend about an hour in training whenever I play. Run through some combos and practise links. Since I've no online I'll run thorugh the single player with Blanka and Chun. Then I go back to trying to learn MvC2.

Damn man pity you've no online, can you even get 2df going or anything?

Yeah its a bit of pain. I just got net in my place so I'll have to give 2df a go.

• Advertisement

Whats the issue anyways is it wireless or what? 2df is great unless you hate 3s and super turbo but you do have to port forward to be able to host, although you can still challenge others but they must be able to host to accept it. 2 people that can't host obviously can't play each other.

Right Was training earlier with oul Akuma and found out a jump in hard kick can lead to a normal hard kick then link into some combos... Damn..:pac:

I don't even get that far. I just have no net. Trying out the meteor mobile "broadband" at the mo. It's actually not too bad and it's portable.

Right Was training earlier with oul Akuma and found out a jump in hard kick can lead to a normal hard kick then link into some combos... Damn..:pac:

But wouldnt a jump in HK to hard punch do more damage? Or can you get the two kicks off? Much check it out.
    HMUYA wrote: »
    I don't even get that far. I just have no net. Trying out the meteor mobile "broadband" at the mo. It's actually not too bad and it's portable.

Ah yes mobile broadband I see I see. There might actually be ways of getting that working with your console, although I dunno how good it'd be.

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    But wouldnt a jump in HK to hard punch do more damage? Or can you get the two kicks off? Much check it out.

Nope from a jumping hard kick to standing hard kick to CR.LP, Light Tatsu to fierce dragon Punch takes a good decent amount of health, if ya FADC to 3x fireball takes a good lil bit more! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Ey, nothing wrong with the cr.jab SPD tick... too bad my execution was awful today and i kept doing jump back jab. :pac:

Advertisement