Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Tyre fitters, cross threaded wheel Hub advice please

Options
  • 07-10-2009 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi guys,
    I have an issue that I got 4 new tyres fitted to my car . The next day I brought the car to have its wheels aligned and the aligning company said that they could not remove one of the bolts and advised me that the person who fitted the tyres cross thread one of the bolts.

My machanic told me the thread might be able to be retapped or a new hub can be fitted (maybe purchased from a scrap yard).
    I dont like the idea of getting the thread re-tapped as it sounds like the issue may arise in the future after the bolt has been remove afew times.

Would it be unreasonable to get my mechanic to replace the hub and then bill the company.

Do I have to give the tyre company a chance to fix their error? If I do they may do more damage as they may not have expericence fixing cars.

Codan

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Give them a chance first verbally and then in writing brand new tyre and receipt in hand.

If they refuse get your own mechanic to quote and then small claims court but best do while type is brand spanking new and you have a receipt. Take photos of tyre/wheel right now .

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

This happened to me before in a small tyre company. Only noticed weeks later when I got a flat tyre so could prove it.

Anyway ended up getting a second hand hub fitted for 80 quid. Now anytime I get repairs/new tyres I am always looking over their sholders.

Hope you get it solved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Most tyre fitter over use the air gun fitting wheel nuts /bolts. If they spun them in by hand they would notice the tightness and restart the thread. Some wheels are overtightened, I recently broke a torque wrench trying to undo overtight wheel nuts for a neighbour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

FYI - dont use a torque wrench to open bolts - its not designed for that.

A long bar with a socket or get a piece of tubing to fit over your wheel brace to extend the leverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

It was longer than anything I had in half inch, however I used a 3/4 drive power bar stepped down to 1/2 and it was still a struggle and I'm no lightweight

• Advertisement
Advertisement