Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap Nikon Telephoto zoom

• 07-10-2009 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi all,

Sorry for another one of these threads... I'm looking for a cheap telephoto zoom (must have an aperture ring). I've been considering the Sigma 70-300mm APO or the Nikon 70-300 ED . I understand both at soft between 200-300 and quite slow but for the price give pretty decent performance.

Anyone who has either of these lens care to comment? Or indeed sell one to me?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

The Sigma is excellent value for money, it is generally regarded as the best telephoto lens for the money. Unfortunately searching has been disabled so I can't give you the previous threads on this topic but for price vs performance the Sigma usually comes out as the one posters recommend.. Below are some shots I've taken with it myself:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/liamandagnieszka/3856800601

http://www.flickr.com/photos/liamandagnieszka/3799916947

http://www.flickr.com/photos/liamandagnieszka/3504137227/in/set-72157622446614194

http://www.flickr.com/photos/liamandagnieszka/3505262264/in/set-72157622446614194

A great value lens, just make sure you go for the APG DO version should you decide to go for the Sigma. It's a heavy lens and the focusing ring could be smoother but I can't complain. If I wanted something sharper I'd be paying a hell of alot more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭trican

The "APG DO version" is worth going for then? I ask as I see on Ebay that the "DL" version seems €30-€50 cheaper.

Anyone have one for sale at a reasonable price!?

trican wrote: »
    The "APG DO version" is worth going for then? I ask as I see on Ebay that the "DL" version seems €30-€50 cheaper.

Anyone have one for sale at a reasonable price!?

Most folk here will tell you that the cheaper version is not really worth going for. I got mine about a year ago from Conns for €199. I think it's gone up in price but ring around the usual suspects and see what they are charging.

Conns, Gunns, Camera Exchange etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Must have aperature ring?

I think neither of the lenses you mention have aperture rings - they are all "G" lenses (or the equivalent thereof).

If you don't need the 300mm reach then I'd like to suggest the 55-200mm Nikon VR lens. Cheap and cheerful - I got mine for 230 euro new 2 years ago.

My samples:

34848B2A470646499336A8368D74044C-500.jpg

39277D641D594A7BA4D3C8852F63843C-500.jpg

16832D3A55F94E81AED8EF245B963278-500.jpg

Oh and as for ultra cheap - I got a 200mm f4 AI Nikkor for 50 dollars. It's old, cheap, has an aperture ring, manual focus, manual exposure but at f8 is much better than my new 55-200 (not surprising as a prime lens).

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Must have aperature ring?

I think neither of the lenses you mention have aperture rings - they are all "G" lenses (or the equivalent thereof).

I'm pretty sure the Sigma does. Can't find a decent image online to confirm it but from memory I'm fairly certain it has one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Or consider the older nikon 75->300 zoom. Its the predecessor to the 70->300s. It's about twice as long and twice as heavy as the plasticky 70->300s, but apparently has the edge quality wise. I bought mine years ago in a fit of enthusiasm. Never really used it, I'm more a normal->wide angle person I've discovered, and the f/5.6 at the long end sorta kills it.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭trican

Yeah from looking at pictures on Ebay the Sigma does have an aperture ring.

Interesting suggestion about the 200mm AI lens Thirdfox - I do like the mechanical feel of those old lens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

sigma-70-300mm-macro-lens.jpg
    Normal version

sigma-70-300-apo.jpg
    APO version

I'm pretty sure that neither has an aperture ring. Is there any particular reason you want/need one?

As for the old manual focus ones - just remember that without the split prisms of the film cameras manual focus is slower. Manual exposure slows things down too and the old AI lenses are generally for fun and not if you're going to be doing some serious photographic work. Having said that I used to shoot with a 50mm f2 pre-AI lens (even for commercial shots).

Thirdfox wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that neither has an aperture ring. Is there any particular reason you want/need one?

As for the old manual focus ones - just remember that without the split prisms of the film cameras manual focus is slower. Manual exposure slows things down too and the old AI lenses are generally for fun and not if you're going to be doing some serious photographic work. Having said that I used to shoot with a 50mm f2 pre-AI lens (even for commercial shots).

I'd presumed trican has either some film camera or one of the aperture ring enabled digitals (D200/300 and above). Actually to add to that, I originally got my 75->300 when all I had was an FE-2. Very difficult to focus at 300 (f/5.6) because half the split prism blacks out at most angles. V. annoying. F/4.5 was a little better but you still had to wiggle the head a little to get a good focus confirmation. That was another reason that led to me not really using it that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

ah so that's why the yoke blacks out on by FM when I'm trying to focus, I should probably be focusing then aperture and not the other way around? :o

(sorry for off topic)

• Advertisement

Nisio wrote: »
    ah so that's why the yoke blacks out on by FM when I'm trying to focus, I should probably be focusing then aperture and not the other way around? :o

(sorry for off topic)

Shouldn't make any difference, when you're focusing the lens should be open to it's maximum aperture, it only stops it down when the shutter button is pressed. The problem is when the maximum aperture of the lens is high. You'll start seeing the problem around F/4 or so, gets pretty bad around the f/5.6 mark.

So if you have one of those slow zooms mounted (say f/3.5->4.5 or 4.5->5.6) you'll have difficulty focusing. You generally have to slide your eye very slightly from side to side to get the two halves bright. Its a PITA all right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

I got the Sigma 70-300mm APO from Pixmania and I'm very very impressed!

Browsing this link convinced me to buy: http://www.flickr.com/groups/_sigma_af_70-300mm_f4-56_dg_apo_macro/pool/ ;)

Be careful though as there are versions for Nikon with and without the built-in motor. Some cameras (like my D60) require the built-in motor to autofocus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Unfortunately searching has been disabled

Boards.ie Search on Google (from the help desk)
    http://www.google.com/cse/home?oe=utf8&ie=utf8&source=uds&cx=015629080850121088849:g29jlbshhzw&start=0&hl=en

Advertisement