Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4-year-old may need Speech Therapy

Options
  • 07-10-2009 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

Hello, my 4yoa daughter was at the PHN last week who suggested that she may need speech therapy - her f and v sounds some out as s - 'san' rather than 'van' 'seet' rather than 'feet' etc. We would be anxious to have this sorted before she starts school next year.

Does anybody know what would be involved in such therapy? What sort of waiting times would we be looking at if we go public? What sort of costs if we go private?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

I can't help you with an answer for your questions...but in the "Soc" main heading at the top of the screen there is a sub-section called "Parenting"...maybe you could post another new thread in there just the same as this one...see if any fellow parents can help you....as well as anybody on this stammering forum!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

waiting lists vary from area to area, get her on the list as soon as possible but realistically i know a lot of them tend to be months long.

find out is there an early intervention centre in your locality with an slt as that might be useful.

otherwis you can get a list of private slts on www.iasltpp.com but be careful as some ppl dont realise you dont actually have to register in anyway to work privately in this field and so you need to make sure the slt you choose to see is actually good in their field.... also be prepared that it can be expensive but totally worth it as it gives your child something that really is priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

It would be my personal opinion that your daughter does not need speech therapy if those are her only problems.

Just have patience with her, try not to be anxious around her about it, and gently practice these sounds yourself with her. Chances are after some time in school she will have sorted this out all by herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

A speech therapist I know works a lot with children. From talking to him about the therapy and what he comes across he says he see's children with problems like your daughters. If your concerned, early intervention is critical. Maybe you could make an appointment to get your daughter assessed first by a speech therapist and if they're in the opinion she needs therapy then go down that route.
    Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 stutelle

I agree with Stephen, early intervention is important. you could go to your gp or local health centre to ask about a referral. Has your daughter had her final development assessment before going to school? if not, you could ask the nurse for a referral to speech & language services. Waiting list vary from area to area so no idea what it would be in your area

I don't know what private costs are now, I had my daughter assessed privatley in Dublin about 6-7 years ago. It cost about E110 for the assessment and then E60-70 per session afterwards. You can claim this back against your tax if the therapist is registered. Some health insurance also covers speech therapy. Make sure that the therapist is experienced in the area of your daughters speech difficulty

I know you are worried but you are making a good first step by posting on this site.
    I was worried about my daughter starting school but I found that small kids are very accepting of their class mates and ask questions out of natural curiosity not because they think ther is something wrong.
    Keep positive, there is help out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

Hello, my 4yoa daughter was at the PHN last week who suggested that she may need speech therapy - her f and v sounds some out as s - 'san' rather than 'van' 'seet' rather than 'feet' etc. We would be anxious to have this sorted before she starts school next year.

Does anybody know what would be involved in such therapy? What sort of waiting times would we be looking at if we go public? What sort of costs if we go private?

Many thanks.

where are you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭sogg

Wating lists will vary according to region. Most areas will have a separate (shorter) waiting list for assessment before you're waitlisted for therapy. I'd definately advise that you go for the assessment publically first before deciding if you want to go down the private route.

If you do decide to have your daughter seen privately you're probably best just asking around - a lot of speech therapists working privately aren't registered on the iaslt private practice website. Ask your g.p, teachers in your local school, other parents etc if they know anyone.

In the meantime, focus on you own feedback to your daughter. Obviously you don't want to draw attention to her speech by correcting her, but provide her with exaggerated models of sounds she has difficulty with. For example, if she says something about her 'seet' just repeat the word back, exaggerated the /f/ sound: "yes, your Feet!". Make sure your top teeth are over your bottom lip when you do so, so that your daughter can get the visual as well as the auditory feedback. All of this can be done in a really positive way so that she doesn't even realise she's being 'corrected'.

Good luck!

Advertisement