Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions or help with 3 week old pups

Options
  • 07-10-2009 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I recently took a dog (German Shepherd) out of the CSPCA here in Cork, and four weeks later she had pups, 6 in all, which we weren’t told about or expecting, up to now we have been able to manage – I bought a 6’ 4’ shed for them and lined the bottom and popped in a electric (timed) heater for the nights and a halogen light in so we can see what’s going on. But now the bedding is soaking (I assume from pee) and I’m at a loss at what’s best to put in there for them, obviously they need something comfy to lie on, but I can’t replace the beds daily (only have two) any suggestions of suitable flooring/bedding for them at this stage would be gratefully received. (I have newspaper and rabbit bedding pellets down in one half, the spongy dog bed in the other)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

My breeder had the pups in an outhouse with straw as their bedding.
    You could try and get a large crate/box that would fit them all and fill with straw??

Congratulations on rescuing a GSD they are lovely dogs :) Eek at the 6 pups though! That was very irresponsible of the shelter to not check for these things!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

thanks Jen - was looking at the straw idea, should be getting some lino today so once that is down will see how we go with the straw i think

should be two pictures attached - one with Roxy and her pups 36 hrs on and the other my Boxer/Lab Tyson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

Yeah straw is a good idea, it doesn't attract fleas either. Make sure you clean it out regularly though. A bale of straw was about €3 a couple of years ago when I was keeping horses so its not that expensive and rots down fast enough.

Well done on rescuing the GSD!! I have one and I love her to bits!

Whats going to happen to the pups? I think its a bit odd that the shelter didn't spot that.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

Hi Paul91

congrats on your rescus, she looks a stunner, very suprised at the pound not mentioning she was in up, surely she got a once over by a vet ..and it wasnt seen?

Anyway, shredded paper might be an option also, its very clean and can be changed easily
    Straw wouuld not have been my first choice personally, but i do know its used

Best of luck with everything :)

hmm maybe an excuse to get a paper shredder then :D thanks guys

i asked when i took her if she had been spayed, they didn't know as they don't have a vet look at them from what i understood

• Advertisement

YOURFACE! wrote: »
    Whats going to happen to the pups? I think its a bit odd that the shelter didn't spot that.

the pups will be found very good homes, have two definates already and two possibles (and i'm trying to wangle it so we keep one or two ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

Paul91 wrote: »
    the pups will be found very good homes, have two definates already and two possibles (and i'm trying to wangle it so we keep one or two ;) )

That's Super! She is a beauty, looks quite like mine actually. Tyson is so handsome too!

YOURFACE! wrote: »
    Tyson is so handsome too!

i'll blush for him - i'm amazed at the number of times people have stopped me to ask his breed, of course as he is another rescue dog we only guess at boxer/lab others have mentioned Rhodesian Ridgeback, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Filo Brasileiro, he's a strong boy - don't feel pain either, number of times he's run head on into something (walls, trees, fences) and just kept going :D

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Roxy and her pups are beautiful! Tyson is gorgeous too :) (love the name Tyson by the way :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

i'll blush for him - i'm amazed at the number of times people have stopped me to ask his breed, of course as he is another rescue dog we only guess at boxer/lab others have mentioned Rhodesian Ridgeback, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Filo Brasileiro, he's a strong boy - don't feel pain either, number of times he's run head on into something (walls, trees, fences) and just kept going :D

I wouldnt be suprised if there was some staffordshire BT in him, head is quite square like theirs, lovely looking fella :)

• Advertisement

jen_23 wrote: »
    (love the name Tyson by the way :D)

he came with the name - quite fitting for him i think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Congrats on taking on a rescue (again) and I too am stunned that the shelter didn't warn you she was in pup.

Be wary though about keeping more than one pup. I'm sure there was another thread on here recently where someone had gotten 2 pups from the same litter and they were finding it almost impossible to train them. If you take on 2 pups at the same time (not even from the same litter) then you can run into issues where they bond with each other more than they bond with you. This makes training a real problem.

Just something to keep in mind ;)

Top Dog wrote: »
    Congrats on taking on a rescue (again) and I too am stunned that the shelter didn't warn you she was in pup.

Be wary though about keeping more than one pup. I'm sure there was another thread on here recently where someone had gotten 2 pups from the same litter and they were finding it almost impossible to train them. If you take on 2 pups at the same time (not even from the same litter) then you can run into issues where they bond with each other more than they bond with you. This makes training a real problem.

Just something to keep in mind ;)

Cool "Top Dog" never even thought of that, makes sense though, i'd love to keep em all - but until i win that lottery i'll have to wait on building my "pack" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

Hi guys, I recently took a dog (German Shepherd) out of the CSPCA here in Cork, and four weeks later she had pups, 6 in all, which we weren’t told about or expecting, up to now we have been able to manage – I bought a 6’ 4’ shed for them and lined the bottom and popped in a electric (timed) heater for the nights and a halogen light in so we can see what’s going on. But now the bedding is soaking (I assume from pee) and I’m at a loss at what’s best to put in there for them, obviously they need something comfy to lie on, but I can’t replace the beds daily (only have two) any suggestions of suitable flooring/bedding for them at this stage would be gratefully received. (I have newspaper and rabbit bedding pellets down in one half, the spongy dog bed in the other)

If the floor is well sealed i.e. you cant see through it you won't need anything under the pups but if you could get you're hands on a rubber cow mat that would be ideal.

At three weeks they are only starting to wee and poo for themselves now, if you have a clean floor with no newspaper etc the bitch will keep the place spotless, she will lick up everything, don't worry about this, after all she's been doing it for the last 3 week just you didn't notice because it went straight from the pup into her.

Also if you could lift the back of the shed a couple inches higher than the front this would help and possibly get some wood shavings from an equestrian shop, and place them around the sides if you keep the middle clear.

In another week or 10 days they will want to go outside to do their business so be sure when some of them escape to do this they can get back in or else they could die from the cold if it happens at night.

good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Cool "Top Dog" never even thought of that, makes sense though, i'd love to keep em all - but until i win that lottery i'll have to wait on building my "pack" ;)
    No different from the rest of us :D

looserock wrote: »
    If the floor is well sealed i.e. you cant see through it you won't need anything under the pups but if you could get you're hands on a rubber cow mat that would be ideal.

At three weeks they are only starting to wee and poo for themselves now, if you have a clean floor with no newspaper etc the bitch will keep the place spotless, she will lick up everything, don't worry about this, after all she's been doing it for the last 3 week just you didn't notice because it went straight from the pup into her.

Also if you could lift the back of the shed a couple inches higher than the front this would help and possibly get some wood shavings from an equestrian shop, and place them around the sides if you keep the middle clear.

In another week or 10 days they will want to go outside to do their business so be sure when some of them escape to do this they can get back in or else they could die from the cold if it happens at night.

good luck.

superb :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Lovely dogs.
    I too suspect there's some Staffordshire Bull Terrier in Tyson, for what it's worth.

Noreen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭B'witched

I can highly recommend Straw Chip.....;)

Product Benefits:
    - 100% Natural
    - Clean
    - Dust Extracted
    - Highly Absorbent
    - Comfortable
    - Cost Efficient
    - Labour Efficient
    - Convenient, Clean Packaging
    - Stackable Packages
    - Quality Controlled
    - Consistent
    - Year Round Supply
    - Disinfected
    - Low Spore Counts
    - Suitable for Feeding & Bedding
    - Easily Disposed Of
    - Rapid Degradation

http://www.strawchip.com/

got some lino layed last night, and apart from the bed in one half that is all, seems to be quite clean this morning, we'll see how we go with that for now

Advertisement