Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New training log, big, but not tooooo BIG!!!

Options
  • 07-10-2009 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭

So I am gonna start one of these again,

Based on the following idea's. Me and a few of the lads in the gym have decided to have a get stronger and bigger challenge, with added in metcons so we dont get tired "rolling over in bed and the like" (thanks Will)

My numbers at the moment are the following:

Legit lifts to date are

Bench 85kg. 187lbs
    Deadlift 105 x 5. I reckon I am good for 115kg x1 and with a lumbar curve 250lbs
    Press 55kg. 120lbs
    Squat 100kg. 220lbs
    Power Clean.............?????

Going by the strength standards, http://www.crossfit.com/cf-journal/WLSTANDARDS.pdf

And say I weigh 200lbs by december:

I need to hit the following for intermediate standards:
    Bench 213lbs which is 96kg, so I have to add 11kg
    Deadlift 333lbs which is 151, adding 35kg
    Press 146lbs which is 66kg, adding 11kg
    Squat 285 lbs which is 130kg, adding 30kg
    Power Clean 205kg which is 94kg, adding a lot of technique and hopefully some numbers

Now there are a few conditions to this, we get weighed at the start and a caliper reading. We were going to do waist but to be fair lots of us will suck in stomachs and lots of craic like that :D:D Making the last waist measurement a longwinded but very funny affair

Other than that its not rocket science, I am looking to finally get to a reasonable level of strength and not too BIG :D:D:D

Its going to be great craic eating like a lunatic and stuffing my face, cant wait. We have not organised a start date or the final bits but I will bang them up when I get a chance. I do know some of the lads are, lets just say, restricting their calories for the days coming up to the weigh in :eek::D

Lastly the weights I am talking about adding are not set in stone but will only be added to. I spoke to Will late last night and he saw no reason why I couldnt squat 140 by Christmas. That would be brilliant and I would be delighted with that,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

So I got my 1rm on the power clean yesterday, I did 67.5

Really I should of done 70, I had a go but was just too damn slow and the transition between first pull and mid thigh pretty much stopped, clever stuff

I am going to hit the 90kg by christmas on this one. Its a brilliant lift and very explosive, glad with how last night went. I am also greasing the groove on strict pullups http://humanmachine.wordpress.com/2007/06/22/grease-the-groove-for-strength/

At the moment I am doing 5's, see where that gets me :D

7 Pullups handy enough now, still piss poor to be fair

So I did the weigh and measurement last night, I am 82.5kg, and have a skin fat fold of 12mm. I am pretty happy with that, I am alot heavier than I was and my diet and food intake has been poor as I have been badly organised,

I'm off to Vegas for a few nights, then its back training on 22nd, see what I can add in 8 weeks to those numbers and get moving. Will look at doing some jujitsu and sparring depending on how I am feeling tired wise.

Also want to get 50 double unders unbroken by Christmas,

Tonight after a week in Vegas and being lazy about getting back to it,

Squatted 80 5x3
    Pressed 40 for 5x1 then 42.5 5x2

Left it at that for no reason other than few lads up,m cardio and Hanley so was chatting to them and having the craic. Off to eat now,

Not filling this in at all,

Ok since I left it I have done 100 pullups for time. This is something I dont want to do again for a long time, I hurt everywhere but in a good way.

Then did a workout that was 50kg, 560kg was the rx'd (recommended) with 9 deadlifts, 6 hanging power cleans, 3 split jerks I think. It took me 2:59 and I thought i was going to puke afterwards,

New structure looks like this:
    Day 1
    Squat
    Metcon

Day 2
    Power Clean
    Deadlift

Day 3
    Squat
    Bench/Press

With plenty of strict pullups and stretching. If I do a 4th day it will be a heavy metcon. Diet is going the right way too, lots of food and milk. See where I get from here

Not a great start food wise, in work and didnt bring any grub with me so got caught short. Will be bringing a bit of stuff in and putting it in the canteen so I have it there and a few liters of milk.

2 Squatting sessions on this new programme,

82.5 and 85kg went well. Snaking a bit on the sqauts and one fast moving faster than the other which must look hilarious, I will work on fixing this on friday for 87.5 and knees pushing out

Will be deadlifting and pressing on wednesday, so will be nice to see what I can do whilst holding a decent back position. I have pulled 145 for 5 before but I would guess its nasty as hell.

Pressing I would reckon 45, then see where we go.

Did some sled pulling on sat and had a decent enough time compared to the rest and was happy with it. I put up lots of pics in my previous log but really could not be arsed in this one, might change my mind on that one.

• Advertisement

This week its going better,

Tonight I benched 75 for 5 x 3
    Squatted 87.5 for 5 x3. I will be weighing myself again on monday. I reckon starting back into the metcon and possibly boxing I will be 90kg with some decent lifts.

The powerclean is going to be where I really need to focus, that 90kg is a fiar bit off but I will chat to the lads about where I would need to be at doing 5's across to hit 90kg. My guess is something like 80/82.5 maybe

I am going to be doing alot more hamstring stretching, these are poor to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

You wanna be careful there Tom, you wanna be big but you don't want to be TOO big!

/Peanuts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

gabgab wrote: »
    The powerclean is going to be where I really need to focus, that 90kg is a fiar bit off but I will chat to the lads about where I would need to be at doing 5's across to hit 90kg. My guess is something like 80/82.5 maybe
    Dunno about that Tom, I'd say if you're power cleaning 5s at 82.5 you'd be good for over 100, Especially 5s across. Just by way of example I did 5 triples across at 82.5 the other day and I reckon I'd do 95, maybe 97.5 at a push (did 92.5 about a month ago).

ha ha peanuts, you start stalling or something will you. Keeping an eye on your progress and were pretty close,

Hey Ed what do you reckon you would need to be cleaning so I can hit 90. I know Eamonn has a good technique and clean, mine is piss poor

Oh and my username is class also.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Oh and my username is class also.....
    Sorry man, forgot about the CIA :D!

Hey Ed what do you reckon you would need to be cleaning so I can hit 90. I know Eamonn has a good technique and clean, mine is piss poor
    Hard to tell but certainly less than 80 for 5s across. If I were to pretend to know things, I'd say a solid triple at 80 with decent technique would get you close. I'd say ya should get there by the end of the year, especially with all the extra hugening and advanced amino acid stacks (milk)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

I'm with Ed. I'm trying to hit 80kg for 3x3. I reckon that's good for a 90kg single.

Weekend put a stop on monday training. Was still in a bad way on sunday night so decided rather than mess up a day because I was in bits I would postpone till tuesday,

Squatted 90kg 5x3. BIG PR for me :mrgreen:
    6 sets of 7 pullups, really am trying to do these strict. I do three with my legs bent and tucked up, then wait till I stop swaying and bang out another 3/4.

Weighed in at 88.9kg on the scales. Not too fussed where I end up weight wise as long as I can hit my goals hopefully which are intermediate lifts at 90kg.

Squat:130
    Bench:100
    Deadlift:150
    Powerclean:90
    Press:70

I am pretty confident that with a cleaner diet even if i am over the 90kg by the end of christmas I can trim it all off again in 6 weeks. Might actually do a picture thread for that one, always find that a benefit as I can see the results

Power cleaned 62.5 for 5x3
    Deadlift 100 for 5.

Niggly pain in my lower back and its just annoying as its always there. Looking to squat 92.5 for 5 across on saturday morning and then bench 77.5 for 2 sets of 5 and try 80 depending on how 77.5 went

I really am terrible at updating this.

Since last post,
    deadlifted 115 for 5,
    powercleaned 65 for 3, I am doing threes on this as my technique looks ok and I always have someone looking on to make sure. A few things to concentrate on though, wider starting grip and staying looking up. If I dont it pulls me forward etc
    Squatted 97.5 for 5
    Benched 80 for 5 but missed the last two sets on rep 4 and 3 respectively.

Loada bull**** really not nough food the day before and a niggle in my elbow/tricep that is causing a bit of discomfort

Monday will be sqautting 100 for 5 x 3 and then whatever metcon it is. If it is leg heavy I will sub in something bodyweight as I need to keep an eye on this. Just tipping 90kg's at the moment. Reckon 92/93 by end of christmas and then its back to crossfit to lean back out and do pre metcon work early in the week on any lifts I didnt hit for intermediate standard goals.

Press and Powerclean will be the main ones. Thinking of strict zone eating for january but will see closer to the time,

Squatted 5 x 3 @ 100kg

delighted with this as its a big lift for me. I did a metcon afterwards of 50kg thrusters and chest to bar pullups,

9, 6, 3 in 6:51. Not too interested in the metcon as was chuffed with the squat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Jesus that's good going... the strength's coming up quick.

cheers man,

Once I get going with a few extra quid I am gonna head to Doug Leonard and get some ART on my hamstrings. I foam roll and stretch and pnf stretch but the are not where I need them to be.

Advertisement