Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New winter suit?

Options
  • 07-10-2009 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭

I need to replace my wetsuit before it gets really cold so I was wondering what you guys would recommend from this seasons new wetsuits? My current wetsuit is an Alder and its been great for a good few years I've heard that Xcel suits are poor quality lately and the guy in my local surf shop said that O'Neil suits are not so good but that seemed to be because he didnt stock them.
    Basically, I'm looking for recommendations from people who have bought a new wetsuit lately.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I wouldn't mind piggybacking on this thread either actually... I figure I deserve a new suit after 3 years in the current one. Is it worth blowing €300+ on a suit or are the sub €200 suits just as good?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Firstly you get what you pay for!

Go O'Neill. I used a 6mm hooded Psycho II for about two winters was a great suit but found the 6mm way too restrictive. (cost 320 euro)

I've since changed to the 5mm Mutant and it is the dogs b****x. The modular system is fantatic, I'm sure there are plenty of suits out there with the same "system". I can't remember how much I paid for it, It was definitely less than 300. But I'd take this one over the psycho II anyday cause it has the hood attached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭will3k

loctite wrote: »
    Firstly you get what you pay for!

Go O'Neill. I used a 6mm hooded Psycho II for about two winters was a great suit but found the 6mm way too restrictive. (cost 320 euro)

I've since changed to the 5mm Mutant and it is the dogs b****x. The modular system is fantatic, I'm sure there are plenty of suits out there with the same "system". I can't remember how much I paid for it, It was definitely less than 300. But I'd take this one over the psycho II anyday cause it has the hood attached.

Picked up a Mutant there month or 2 ago from KingofWatersport, think it worked out about €230 or so.
    Been wearing it most of my sessions since then, and find it great. Looking forward to having a proper hood attached suit for Jan + Feb :)
    I bought it cause I had an O'Neills before it, and knew the size fit me perfectly.
    Bit of a pain to get out of though, that'll be the cold part in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

Thanks for the replies guys, looks like the O'Neill Mutant is the one to go for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Cprh

I got the top end Cskins one two years ago and she's still going strong, except that I want a new one anyway. Saw this years model in a 654mm hooded one. Very nice €350 hooded, €300 without in Sligo. You might get em cheaper in the UK/USA.

Well worth comparing with the O Neills before buying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PjC

If your gonna spend a good chunk of money have a look at the pryde suits, there by far the best fitting suit on the market. Theres very little things you can say this about and have it be true but litterally the most you spend, the better the suit. The better it'll fit, the warmer it'll keep you and the longer it'll last!

I'd try on a dry suit and see how you feel in it? I was thinking of wearing one for the winter last year, it just feels a little different.

Advertisement