Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling to Austalia For 1 Year Help !! ?

Options
  • 07-10-2009 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

I am currently 17 and I want to get away from ireland for a while possibly 9 to 12 months.
    I was thinking of going to Austrlaia next year October/November 2010. I will be 18 in june 2010:D.
    I have just started college in NCI and I really like the course. Would it Be possible to leave after the first year as in May2010 and go back to continue my course after my travels September 2011 ?
    Also I have applied for grants this year and should get them (I Hope ) . Will I still be able to get those grants when I come back ? Or Will I then have to start paying for college because without them i coudnt afford to go to college anyway.
    I have a job and i am planning on saving flat out, everything going into this how muuch would I really need to save . Im am planning to work whilst over there also. What exactly will I have to do to make this happen ?
    Any help on my problems/ideas would be very helpful.
    Thanks I am very confused ha ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Firstly, any queries about your college course and grants would have to be directed to the educational institution I presume.

However, isn't the period between May and September the summer holidays, i.e. the time when you can do whatever you want? I don't see how there could possibly be an issue seeing as thousands go on J1 visas every year.

With regard to working in Australia, you would have to take up the option of the one year working visa. The question you have to ask yourself is do you want to waste that one opportunity (you only get one) for just a three month summer holiday? IMO it would be stupid to do so.

On the flip side, the only other option visa wise is a holiday one and you would not be entitled to work on it so money may be a problem.

Ultimately, if you want to maximise your working holiday visa then either wait until you finish college or take a year out. For summer holidays you're best off hitting the States on a J1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

joekeville wrote: »
    I am currently 17 and I want to get away from ireland for a while possibly 9 to 12 months.
    I was thinking of going to Austrlaia next year October/November 2010. I will be 18 in june 2010:D.
    I have just started college in NCI and I really like the course. Would it Be possible to leave after the first year as in May2010 and go back to continue my course after my travels September 2011 ?
    Also I have applied for grants this year and should get them (I Hope ) . Will I still be able to get those grants when I come back ? Or Will I then have to start paying for college because without them i coudnt afford to go to college anyway.
    I have a job and i am planning on saving flat out, everything going into this how muuch would I really need to save . Im am planning to work whilst over there also. What exactly will I have to do to make this happen ?

Think you read it wrong Xavi. Says for 9 to 12 months and then talks about leaving Oct 2010, and returning before September 2011 that would give nearly the full year.

Don't know if you will get much answers here regarding grants etc. Most colleges will let you take a year though, but best to ask them.

Not a lot you need to make it happen. Save enough cash, get the visa (very easy) and then leave. Obviously the working holiday visa is what you need if you plan to work.

How much you need well thats really a question no one can answer. How much do you plan on working? How much traveling do you expect to do? How much will you be partying/drinking? How important is good food to you? Do you plan on hostels, campsites, apartments, shared house? Are you traveling alone? All these things can impact on how much you will need.

I would say make sure you would be able to support yourself for at least three months before leaving. That should give you enough time to get set up? If you get a job quick keep that money for traveling if you don't then you can still live for three months and give yourself a good shot at making it there for the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭joekeville

Think you read it wrong Xavi. Says for 9 to 12 months and then talks about leaving Oct 2010, and returning before September 2011 that would give nearly the full year.

Don't know if you will get much answers here regarding grants etc. Most colleges will let you take a year though, but best to ask them.

Not a lot you need to make it happen. Save enough cash, get the visa (very easy) and then leave. Obviously the working holiday visa is what you need if you plan to work.

How much you need well thats really a question no one can answer. How much do you plan on working? How much traveling do you expect to do? How much will you be partying/drinking? How important is good food to you? Do you plan on hostels, campsites, apartments, shared house? Are you traveling alone? All these things can impact on how much you will need.

I would say make sure you would be able to support yourself for at least three months before leaving. That should give you enough time to get set up? If you get a job quick keep that money for traveling if you don't then you can still live for three months and give yourself a good shot at making it there for the year.

Thanks all of this is great . I am planning to go on my own and possibly plan on sharing an apartment once i get over there .

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Apologies Joekeville, I read it as leaving in May 2010, coming back in September 2010 :o

Al has it pretty much spot on with regard to what you need to consider.

A year is quite a long time, but there's so much to see so budgeting is vital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

joekeville wrote: »

Mate dont do this, teenage unemployment in Australia at present is at a record high. You have no skills and no experience. In my view you would be wasting a once in a lifetime chance by cashing in this way too early. You may even not get work during the whole year out.

I would finish the course get a years experience somewhere in your field then travel over here. I went to NCI myself and it looked like a fun college. Enjoy your course see it though then travel in your 20's. The best thing you can be doing in a downturn is studying. The downward trend will turn and you will cop the benefits on the other side.

Dont do this now ...:) Please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I agree with Zambia. You would be coming over here with no qualifications and no experience so your chances of getting a job would be slim. Due to the slowdown in the economy here it is becoming harder for backpackers to get jobs here. If you did manage to get a job you would probably be lucky to get enough to just scrape by on. This would limit your ability to do any travelling. Australia is a huge place with alot of things to see. In order to see alot of these things you need money!! If you are just trying to scape by then this just isn't possible.

You only get one chance to get this visa so don't waste it!!! The j1 visa for the states would be a much better option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Zodiac12345

aido79 wrote: »
    I agree with Zambia. You would be coming over here with no qualifications and no experience so your chances of getting a job would be slim. Due to the slowdown in the economy here it is becoming harder for backpackers to get jobs here. If you did manage to get a job you would probably be lucky to get enough to just scrape by on. This would limit your ability to do any travelling. Australia is a huge place with alot of things to see. In order to see alot of these things you need money!! If you are just trying to scape by then this just isn't possible.

You only get one chance to get this visa so don't waste it!!! The j1 visa for the states would be a much better option.

Well said. 17 is a bit young to be heading down under. Do the J1 or inter railing maybe and see how you like that first.

Advertisement