Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is now a good time to open a Deli?

Options
  • 07-10-2009 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi there,

I am thinking of leaving the corporate world to set up a deli. not to make my millions but to take control of my situation.

Generally is now a good time to open a deli in Dublin?

What are the critical success factors in running a good deli?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

By 'deli' do you mean a food counter that sells sandwiches, sausage rolls and potato wedges or do you mean a shop that sells quality, luxury food ingredients like salimi, cured meats, cheeses, olives, dried fruit etc. etc. ?

If it's the first, I'd say no unless the location has no Spar, Centra or garage nearby and has a large amount of people working nearby or has a school.

If it's the second, then it's more difficult to answer. Again, what's already there, nearby? What would you offer that, say, Falon and Byrne's don't or Sheridan's for cheese? Remember luxury shops are the first to go in a recession unless they are very well established.

I don't mean to be discouraging but unless you have a very strong idea for a deli in the right place, I can't see it working.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,444 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

By 'deli' do you mean a food counter that sells sandwiches, sausage rolls and potato wedges or do you mean a shop that sells quality, luxury food ingredients like salimi, cured meats, cheeses, olives, dried fruit etc. etc. ?

If it's the first, I'd say no unless the location has no Spar, Centra or garage nearby and has a large amount of people working nearby or has a school.

If it's the second, then it's more difficult to answer. Again, what's already there, nearby? What would you offer that, say, Falon and Byrne's don't or Sheridan's for cheese? Remember luxury shops are the first to go in a recession unless they are very well established.

I don't mean to be discouraging but unless you have a very strong idea for a deli in the right place, I can't see it working.
    You forgot the more obvious option, combine the two;
    a deli that sells sandwiches, wraps, soup etc (but not sausage rolls and potato wedges) made from quality, luxury food ingredients like salimi, cured meats, cheeses, olives,?
    Basically, what the spars have wiped out. There are a number of these in Dublin, and they all do quite well as they are located in areas were office workers are nearby and fed up with spar. If you have the right location it would be hard to do well.
    If you had the space, you could also sell prepacked luxury items, like olives, sauces, relishes and meats.

Advertisement