Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone know their spiders?

Options
  • 07-10-2009 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

Found a spider in the house the other day that, i hav eto say freaked me out a bit. I am generally a little phobic of spiders but this one even made my other half nervous.

I have a picture that I will try to upload (its on my phone but I've no way to transfer it atm) but for now, here's the description as best as I can:

size: about 1 inch to 2 inches from stem to stern

about 1 inch wide

about 1 inch tall (no, its wasnt a cube!) actually it was abnormally high at the back , almost looked bloated.

Colour: rust brown / rusty red

markings: three pale yellowish dots along the bloated back.

i counted the legs and there were 8 , otherwise I would have thought it was a beetle of some kind. 6 legs were quite thick while two were shorter and sort of curled in underneath. Dont think they were particularly hairy. Dark almost black in colour. The first impression I got from it (ok the second impression) was that it looked like a small hermit crab (the back was a lot higher than the head and the way the legs were underneath it looked almost like it was carrying a rusty strawberry or a shell on its back).

anyone got any idea? sound familiar ? Anyone know where I could go to try and identify it?

Comments

Advertisement