Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else think...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Way way too lenient. It should be the same as murder. A min of 20 years, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

When they kill one of their own flock in the incident the courts are fairly lenient as it will usually give some emotion to the killer over the rest of their life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

The courts are way to lenient,
    its sickening.....

20 year min. should be the case

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Scouserfan

life sentence for a life and parole should be removed from dictionary !

Unless we change our opinions on what prisons are for, then this is an adequate sentence. Prisons are to rehabilitate people for society. I'm not paying my income tax to fund some punishment centre.

Why would I want to pay to keep this woman in jail for 20 years when it wont act as a deterrent to stop other drink drivers and she has killed her daughter so her life is ruined anyway.

20 year sentences are for people who are a danger to society. I think by this point, this woman is only a danger to herself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Her other daughter survived the crash. That probably (rightly) affected the sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

20 year sentences are for people who are a danger to society. I think by this point, this woman is only a danger to herself.

So you think she's "suffering enough"...? She'll be out in a couple of years to carry on with her life and more than likely will carry on drinking and driving...as she said she doesnt remember a thing.....
    To me she's as bad as a scummy druggy who stabs some old lady for 20euro....But he's really sorry as he doesnt remember a thing because he was out of his head.....

If DD's got longer sentences it might act as a deterrent ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

In the north its automatic custodial sentence if you kill someone while drink driving....

That would be a sober thought there.. You're forgetting the part where the person is drunk and doesn't think logically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

all,
    I'm a serving Garda so I obviously dont accept, condone or put up with drink driving in ANY way, but have some compassion.
    I understand 2 children died in this accident but bare in mind that this woman has to live the rest of her life knowing that her child has died as a DIRECT result of her actions, no matter how stupid.

Stop and actually think about that if you have children. Thats worse than any life sentence in Mountjoy!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Can't help but notice that the article sticks in "BMW car" as if that had a part in it. Somehow I doubt they would have printed "Toyota car" or "Nissan car" if that was the case...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

all,
    I'm a serving Garda so I obviously dont accept, condone or put up with drink driving in ANY way, but have some compassion.
    I understand 2 children died in this accident but bare in mind that this woman has to live the rest of her life knowing that her child has died as a DIRECT result of her actions, no matter how stupid.

Stop and actually think about that if you have children. Thats worse than any life sentence in Mountjoy!!!!!

That's her personal torment, it does not safeguard the rest of us. Knowing that she killed those two children is enough to mess up most people for the rest of their lives but it's not a valid argument against longer sentences.

I lost someone very close to me due to driver fatigue, three people died in the crash including the driver. It's something I've thought about a lot and to be honest if someone told me that if that person had survived but should not do time because he "had to live with what he had done" it would be time for some "natural justice" to come into play.

Also, I wish people and especially AGS would stop referring to incidents like this as "accidents". They are not accidents but incidents with a cause and effect. It irks me when we hear of cases like this where a horrendously drunk woman decided to get behind the wheel of a car to undertake a long journey with two small children in the car and it is referred to as an accident. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

That would be a sober thought there.. You're forgetting the part where the person is drunk and doesn't think logically.

it was her choice to get drunk and drive with children in her car, I can't help but wonder that if it was a man, the sentence would have been harsher

even the sentence in this case was criticised as too lenient

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

If DD's were ever caught before they had an accident, that would be an even bigger deterrent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Hammertime wrote: »
    Its absolutely disgusting.

Disgraceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

How in the name of god is this sort of sentencing fair to the victims families...its almost like it was partly their own fault some how.....:mad:
    I never have or would dd for any reason..but these stories just let the people that do ,know that theres a fair chance that they might get away with it...its almost too sad for words..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'm guessign the car was a 5 seat 1,3 or 5 series? Which means that even without drink, and on her way to the pub, she had 4 kids in the back of the car and with these situations her and her mate probably regularly picked up the same 4 kids from school in the car. She was endangering the kids even before she got drunk.

The sentence shoudl have been the max allowable and even then she should be able to be charged with something more significant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

it was a 1 series

Advertisement