Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crabtree finally signs

• 07-10-2009 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭

Schefter reported it on Twitter just a few hours go. It's a six year deal that could be reduced to five depending on performances.

Just glad this saga is finally over.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

About bloody time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

interestingly no indication of who bent or broke here in terms of the contract.

what do you guys think. did the holdout work ? Or does crabtree have egg on his face ?

Personally Id have to think that the niners broke. Despite there really impressive start they arent getting any production through the air and I think they realised they couldnt let crabtree go back to the draft.

I doubt they're gonna say who went first. It'd look like bad PR going on about it when they just want him to sign imo.

I'm not totally sure but does anyone reckon he can jump straight in? I mean he's gotta pick up a whole play book and WR's pretty difficult to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

After a contract stalemate that has lasted four weeks into the NFL season, the 49ers have finally reached a deal with their first-round pick.

Michael Crabtree and the team agreed to a six-year deal early this morning, according to team sources. He and his agent had a face-to-face meeting Tuesday afternoon with 49ers vice president of football operations Paraag Marathe in the Bay area.
    The team source told FOXSports.com "Crabtree finally signed."
    The deal could void to five years if Crabtree has two very good years among his first four, otherwise he'll make just $4 million in the sixth year.
    Sources told FOXSports.com that Eugene Parker, the agent for San Francisco's top draft pick and holdout Crabtree, had the meeting in an attempt to revive contract talks for the former Texas Tech wide receiver.
    Team spokesman Bob Lange said the 49ers would not get into particulars of discussions or negotiations.
    "The 49ers were pleased to meet with Michael and Eugene in person," Lange said.
    The 22-year-old Crabtree hadn't accepted the 49ers' long-standing offer for approximately five years and $20 million with a reported $16 million guaranteed — instead seeking money comparable to the higher picks.
    Despite plenty of pre-draft hype that billed Crabtree as a top-five talent, the wideout slid to the 49ers and the No. 10 overall pick in April's NFL Draft.
    San Francisco needed to sign Crabtree by Nov. 17 for him to remain eligible to play this season. The team would have had a seven-week window before the 2010 draft to trade him if he didn't sign.
    Crabtree's effectiveness this season will likely be limited because he missed all of training camp.
    The fact that the 49rs arent saying how much the deal is worth would seem to indicate that they caved. It will be interesting to see how many reps he gets this year. One would think that his effectiveness will be limited, until next season with a full pre-season and training camp behind him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

D3PO wrote: »
    Personally Id have to think that the niners broke. Despite there really impressive start they arent getting any production through the air and I think they realised they couldnt let crabtree go back to the draft.

I have the same line of thinking. Bruce is more then likely retiring next year and other then Josh Morgan and Vernon Davis there really isn't anyone in the Receiving game that scares secondaries.

He probably won't suit up against Atlanta but I can see him doing so against the Texans since he has a few weeks to learn the playbook. Most wr's take at least two to three seasons to properly make their mark on the League.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

He signed for the same deal, he could have signed for in July...if i were the 49ers i would have made a point to offer less, because they had the upper hand i.e. if he had decided to reneter the draft he would get nowhere near the top 10 again, but i guess they didnt want to waste a 1st round pick.

Im glad the 49ers didnt pay him the money he wanted but i still be v pissed if i was a fan at the way Crabtree handled the situation, he will more than likely have a non-factor season this year and the fans on his back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Its going to suck for 49ers fans now if Crabtree chokes and fails to perform. Hopefully he wont though he was amazing for Tech. Awesome to watch. Has grea potential pity about his ghetto attitude.

Its going to suck for 49ers fans now if Crabtree chokes and fails to perform. Hopefully he wont though he was amazing for Tech. Awesome to watch. Has grea potential pity about his ghetto attitude.

True the only positive is all the rumblings outta the niners locker room seems to indicate no animosity towards the holdout. SO with that in mind you would hope the fans would let him prove himself on the field.

I reckon he will suit up as a returner for a couple of weeks before they put him onto the offense but lets see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

i hope for the 49ers his holdout will have less effect on him than Russel's had on him and the Raiders. could see him going the same way as Russel after missing all of pre season, training camp and a few games. Very unlikely to get major game time this year just special teams, kick returns and punt returns. Undoubted potential but he would want to lose the attitude & work his ass off if he is to make it

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    i hope for the 49ers his holdout will have less effect on him than Russel's had on him and the Raiders. could see him going the same way as Russel after missing all of pre season, training camp and a few games. Very unlikely to get major game time this year just special teams, kick returns and punt returns. Undoubted potential but he would want to lose the attitude & work his ass off if he is to make it

One thing is Crabtrees favour over Russell is the fact Crabtree isnt expected to lead a team as the field general. It kind of takes the pressure off him somewhat. I dont see it being a major issue for him. WR are a dime a dozen in the NFL anyways.

What will hamper him is not knowing the system and playbook and not doing reps with the QB and being in sync. He has alot to catch up on. The good thing in his favour he has been doing alot of his physical workouts so you know he is good condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

When you consider that rookie receivers usually take a few weeks to produce (Massaquoi for example), and that Crabtree missed camp, you'd imagine he won't be much use this season except as a situational player.

He's going to be a good receiver though. And hey, at least you know what he's like as a person up front.

D3PO wrote: »
    True the only positive is all the rumblings outta the niners locker room seems to indicate no animosity towards the holdout. SO with that in mind you would hope the fans would let him prove himself on the field.

But is there really? I mean there's gotta be a couple of players upset with the fact he's held out. I'm looking forward to see how it all pans out.

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    . Undoubted potential but he would want to lose the attitude & work his ass off if he is to make it

I think the one advantage the 49ers have in this regard is that Mike Singletary has a no nonsense policy (see the Vernon Davis episode) so if Crabtree ever steps out of line he has a lot to answer for. He also has a major task to try and win his teammates over which is one of the things I'm worried about as well as the other stuff listed above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He will certainly have to earn the respect of the locker room. Most people just see what he did as dumb. If he catches a game winning touchdown in one of his first games it will all be forgotten about rather quickly.

He will have the media vultures watching his every move though, a bad game and he will be all over the media as a possible bust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

There's two kinds of player in the NFL, the winners and the guys who see $$$. Tom Brady took a paycut so the Pats could get Moss. Manning did similar at the Colts. On the other side of it you have this guy who would rather sit out part of an already short career, because he's only got so many million.

I would personally question a player like that's commitment.

davyjose wrote: »
    There's two kinds of player in the NFL, the winners and the guys who see $$$. Tom Brady took a paycut so the Pats could get Moss. Manning did similar at the Colts. On the other side of it you have this guy who would rather sit out part of an already short career, because he's only got so many million.

I would personally question a player like that's commitment.

One of the many reasons why teams fail after paying mege bucks for has beens or overpriced players. cough cough splurt splurt Raiders Cough.

Sea Devils wrote: »
    He also has a major task to try and win his teammates over which is one of the things I'm worried about as well as the other stuff listed above.

Not so sure about this. Some of the niners vets have been quoted as saying its jsut business hes got to do what hes got to do (im paraphrasing)

that isnt the talk of disgruntled teammates. I think this will be forgotten about onces he gets on the practice field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/07/crabtrees-base-deal-six-years-32-million/

The breakdown of the contract makes it a terrible contract for a player of his supposed calibre, it also could be a career killer for the agent...hold out till week 4 to accept a pretty bad contract for the 10th pick in the draft that was available in july, ludacris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

If we've learned anything from Crabtree actually it's this:

ROOKIE

SALARY

CAP

Hazys wrote: »
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/07/crabtrees-base-deal-six-years-32-million/

The breakdown of the contract makes it a terrible contract for a player of his supposed calibre, it also could be a career killer for the agent...hold out till week 4 to accept a pretty bad contract for the 10th pick in the draft that was available in july, ludacris

Just from what Mike Florio is reporting those incentives will be very difficult to achieve. He will have to turn into a Pro Bowl receiver next year and the 49ers get to the Super Bowl in order to make incentive money. In a conference with Fitzgerald, Steve Smith etc., he will have to be very good indeed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement