Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

China import - custom charges

Options
  • 07-10-2009 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hello,

I have sourced some sports products which I will be having shipped to me from the manufacturer in China.

My question is what will happen with customs in Ireland. Is there a cost associated with importing the goods?

Basically i am just looking for any information as i am not sure how this works. I presume they will want me to pay something...

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭R3al

Depends on the classification of the goods, see the revenue importation section at http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/businesses/importing/tariff.html

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Hello Nellocon,

Depending on the quantity / value you are buying in China you are likely to have to pay Customs Duty and VAT.

The customs duty depends on the type of product. If you let me know what the product is I can see what the classification is and what the rate of duty is.

The way the Duty and VAT is calculated is as follows ;

Duty Calculation
    Cost of the product (invoice value) + freight cost + transport insurance cost (if any) @ % duty.

VAT is calculated on the above plus the duty generally @ 21.5% (there are some exceptions like childrens clothes and shoes)

If you PM me with your e-mail address I would be happy to send you a document that elaborates on how to import and export.

best regards,
    RUDOLF289

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nunu123

hi do u know what the custom charges are? i have ordered a dress from china and i want to know what the custom charges are. i have no idea this custom system works.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

nunu123 wrote: »
    hi do u know what the custom charges are? i have ordered a dress from china and i want to know what the custom charges are. i have no idea this custom system works.

Hoe much did you pay including shipping for the dress? If it's under the value of 150 euro you'll just have to pay VAT of 23%. If the value is over 150 euro you'll have to pay a customs duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nunu123

Dazza wrote: »
    Hoe much did you pay including shipping for the dress? If it's under the value of 150 euro you'll just have to pay VAT of 23%. If the value is over 150 euro you'll have to pay a customs duty.

i paid 40 euro including the shipping. thank you so much. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement