Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OOps..... Ali not now from Ennis

• 07-10-2009 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

From the Clare People
    Ennis loses Ali link

Gordon Deegan

Muhammad Ali in Ennis
    A NEW official history of Ennis will reject claims that Muhammad Ali’s great-grandfather, Abe Grady, came from the Turnpike area of the town.
    The guide – commissioned by Ennis Town Council – claims that Abe never set foot in Ireland and that Ali’s direct Clare ancestors more than likely came from the parish of Crusheen.
    The guide is being written by local historian Seán Spellissy, who states that Abe Grady was born in Kentucky and not Ennis as widely held.
    Last month, the world’s attention focused on the Turnpike as the boxing legend took a walkabout in the area as he celebrated his Ennis links.
    During the visit, Ali’s wife, Lonnie declared, “Now that we know that Muhammad is an Ennis man, we will be back.”
    This week, Mr Spellissey told The Clare People, “Abe Grady never set foot in Ireland. My research indicates that Abe’s father was more than likely from Crusheen.”
    Mr Spellissy, who is a native of Ennis, said, “Someone deserves a red face over this.”
    He confirmed that a birth-cert for Abe Grady dating from 1865 has been located in Kentucky. However, this new evidence “doesn’t dilute Ali’s claims to be an O’Grady. His links to Clare are also quite solid. For Ennis, they are tenuous enough, but they have a certain validity to Crusheen.”
    One of Ali’s Ennis ‘relatives’, Imelda O’Grady, who embraced Ali as they exchanged gifts during his visit, said she would prefer not to comment. Another Ennis ‘relative’, Mary O’Donovan said, “I was very happy to meet Ali and I would prefer not to comment any further.”
    Ennis Town Manager, Ger Dollard said the council conferred the freedom of the town on Muhammad Ali because of “his ancestral links, his sporting achievements and his contribution to humanitarian issues”.
    “I don’t think there is any question on the validity of this,” he said.
    Antoinette O’Brien of the Clare Heritage Centre in Corofin said she couldn’t comment until she saw the evidence.
    She said it was TG4 who had the theory that Abe Grady left Cappa Pier from Kilrush in the 1860s.

Someones nose is getting long :pac::pac::pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

What document first suggested the Abe O'Grady was born in the turnpike?

What records at all suggest his links to the turnpike?

I am sure that there would have been intial evidance given to prove that if fact he was.

So we now have two conflicting proofs. Which one is true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Who cares? Clare/Ennis is close enough. If you go looking back that far he's 'from' a couple of hundred places so I wouldn't take it all too seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Bring him back for the Freedom of Crusheen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Getting nearer to Timmy Dooleys hometown all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Do you think we should chance our arms with Barack Obama, I know Moneygall are in there first but I'm sure a closer relative can be found in the Clare area :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭golfball37

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Do you think we should chance our arms with Barack Obama, I know Moneygall are in there first but I'm sure a closer relative can be found in the Clare area :D

The same thing has happened over there apparently. Another village called Shinrone on the Tipp/Offaly border claim to have proof Obama's people are from there and not Moneygall.

Advertisement