Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rappers

• 07-10-2009 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Recently I've been noticing that alot of rap has been creeping into the dance music genre.. Its mainly in the mainstream so it doesnt bother me too much but it is becoming irratating now a bit.. Flo Rida and Pitbull have made it their mission to take classic dance tunes, have their way with them, put some poor vocals onto the tracks and release the audio rubbish. Akon has featured on a dance tune also along with Dizzie Rascal twice and when i discovered Sean Kinston's "Fire Burning" was considered a dance song i was nearly physically ill....

To put it in simple terms im not liking all the rap in dance lately and was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this or has any thoughts on it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

No.

What Shite have you been listening to?

I'm not sure about the 'rap' title, would have thought the names you mention are more like 'pop' artists. And it's not a recent phenomen, I could say I like house or synthpop, yet both were hijacked by Stock Aiken and Waterman and their brand of cheese back in the 80s. I guess people in various genres will keep an eye out to see what's happening in other fields of music and see if they can incoroporate it and stay ahead of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I wouldn't call any of that **** dance music, its commercial pop if anything. These "artists" have run out of ideas so they are now bastardising dance beats to make songs. That Pitbull fella is a ****ing joke, music for poser knobends who wear Polo shirts. David Guetta - the less said the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

I like Dizzee Rascal. The shame. New album is a bit pants though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

While I agree with the sentiment that these rap artists are putting out some pretty turgid stuff and labelling it 'dance', I can't really say that it bothers me that much. After all how many dance tracks have sampled and remixed '80's tracks. I'm pretty sure the fans who loved the original songs would have been horrified to hear dance remixes no matter how good they were. I doubt too many U2 fans were overly impressed with Oakenfold's remixes but hey, he wasn't targetting original fans. The same with the likes of Flo-rida and B.E.P. They are targetting the American market mostly, where dance is seens as anything even approaching a 4,4 beat and having a synth in it. Usher anyone? . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

If people dance to it, it's dance music TBH

Waltz, techno, gabber, polka, klezhmer, kuduro, highlife, hip hop, house, jumpstyle, jigs n reels, drum and bass, linedancing music; they're all dance music genres

As for the increased crossover of big trancey leads and eurodance influenced production on club hip hop and dancehall music, that's been going on for ages, ever since timbaland was in his heay day

As for Dizzee licensing his vocals to a david guetta song, well you try and make money out of purist grime and see how far you get...

Personally i'm not at all surprised that kids are sampling hte likes of Eiffel 65 "blue" for rnb / hip pop jams these days; it's a generational shift, and that song is what, 12 years old at this stage? All the proper golden era hip hop as sampling old dance records too, funk and soul...

Personally the dance music i've liked best has always had mc vocals in there, be it hip hop, dancehall or drum and bass - sure i used to be a jungle mc myself, and still do pick up a mic in a dance every so often...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Mikeyangelo

No.

What Shite have you been listening to?

Well if you bothered to read what i had wrote you would have seen that artists names that I have been hearing...... Its not that i have made it my business to listen to them cause I liked the songs its just that i was hearing them unavoidably and Im quite sure i made that clear?? Looks like thats the 2nd time you've replied to one of my threads poorly..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Mikeyangelo

mordeith wrote: »
    While I agree with the sentiment that these rap artists are putting out some pretty turgid stuff and labelling it 'dance', I can't really say that it bothers me that much. After all how many dance tracks have sampled and remixed '80's tracks. I'm pretty sure the fans who loved the original songs would have been horrified to hear dance remixes no matter how good they were. I doubt too many U2 fans were overly impressed with Oakenfold's remixes but hey, he wasn't targetting original fans. The same with the likes of Flo-rida and B.E.P. They are targetting the American market mostly, where dance is seens as anything even approaching a 4,4 beat and having a synth in it. Usher anyone? . . .

Cheers for the post man, very insightful... Made a good point and gave me a good point of view!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭franklyshocked

Jumping on the badwagon a little here with this,

If there's a decent (As in clear, not good) vocal, something that can easily be stretched or warped over a 4/4 beat then its going to get mixed and remixed for commercial dance at some stage, thats the industry. Not much you can do about it.

Sean Kingston is one artist I can't stand, and his "stlye" of music, Dancehall, is a total dead end tipified within that song Fire Burning.
    Write a dancehall song 101:
    Pseudo Reggae beats, Check
    Mention "shorties" (?) Check,
    Refer to the dancefloor/club repeatidly, Check
    Include "fire" refrences, Check
    Speak like a 2 year old, Check

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Jumping on the badwagon a little here with this,

If there's a decent (As in clear, not good) vocal, something that can easily be stretched or warped over a 4/4 beat then its going to get mixed and remixed for commercial dance at some stage, thats the industry. Not much you can do about it.

Sean Kingston is one artist I can't stand, and his "stlye" of music, Dancehall, is a total dead end tipified within that song Fire Burning.
    Write a dancehall song 101:
    Pseudo Reggae beats, Check
    Mention "shorties" (?) Check,
    Refer to the dancefloor/club repeatidly, Check
    Include "fire" refrences, Check
    Speak like a 2 year old, Check

LOL tbh

Horses for course I guess, but IMO there's no other genre of electronic dance music that gets people moving like dancehall does.

(Sean Kingston is a bit pants though, but sure that's like giving out about techno because of tiesto...)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Dancehall and Reggaeton - all I hear is some guy is ranting over a microphone to the kind of beat you'd tap out on the jacks.

Advertisement