Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Licence

Options
  • 07-10-2009 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

apologies if this has been asked before, but the search is down.

So who out there owns a dog licence for their pooch's? (i'm going to try and add a poll to the thread)

Does anyone know where the money goes that is collected for them?

Do you need a licence for any other animals, cats, horses, snakes, spiders, rabbits, fish?

Do you have a dog licence 40 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 40 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

This has been done a good few times before actually.
    Some people agree with licenses, some people don't.
    Dog Licences

In order to obtain a dog licence, you must be over 16 years of age. It is an offence for you to keep a dog unless you have a licence. All dogs over four months must have a licence. Puppies under four months who are still with their mothers don't require licences but once they leave their mothers they must have a licence. Your dog must be accompanied by and be under your effective control or the control of another responsible person if it is outside your home or premises or the home or premises of the person in charge of it. You can be requested by a dog warden to produce evidence of your dog licence and failure to do so can result in an on-the-spot fine. Failure to pay this fine within a specified period can result in prosecution by your local authority. Licences are not required for dogs in the possession of the County Council, the Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, Gardaí, blind persons' guide-dogs, and any dog imported into the State for less than 30 days.

Dog licences are issued by your post office or your local authority. The revenue from dog licences finances the operation of dog control services in local areas throughout the country.

from the citizens information website.

Certain more exotic pets need to have CITES papers afaik (I think that's the name of it)

also found this thread too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

funnily enough a search in google.ie brought me to a thread in here, from what i read over half the licence goes to the post office, and the rest to who knows, because the local dog warden is privately funded and not paid for by the state.

Also it seems to be that if you buy a licence they will chase you to renew but nobody cares if you haven't had one. Has anyone ever heard of anyone being fined for not having their dog licence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

Both of our dogs are licensed and will always have a licenses. Personally, I'm not taking any risks especially as we have a dog on the ferocious beast list Restricted Breeds List.

reading up on this i found the following
    If you do not have a licence for your dog, you are liable to a €30 “on-the-spot” fine. Failure to pay this fine can lead to a prosecution with a maximum fine of €1,269.74 and/or up to 3 months imprisonment if convicted.

so lets say you don't have a licence and you get stopped, €30 fine, not really an encouragement, say €100 might get people buying them
    Rules relating to certain breeds of dog

The Control of Dogs Regulations 1998 place controls on 10 breeds of dogs namely the American Pit Bull Terrier; English Bull Terrier; Staffordshire Bull Terrier; Bull Mastiff; Doberman Pinscher; German Shepherd (Alsatian); Rhodesian Ridgeback; Rottweiler; Japanese Akita; Japanese Tosa and to every dog of the type commonly known as a Ban Dog (or Bandog).
    The controls, which must be observed when the dog is in a public place, require that these dogs, or strains and crosses thereof, must be kept on a strong short lead [only up to 2 metres long] by a person over 16 years of age who is capable of controlling them. The dog/s must be securely muzzled too. Furthermore, the Control of Dogs Act 1986 gives specific powers to the courts to order that a dog, which the court considers dangerous, must be kept under proper control or be destroyed.

so all the dogs listed and any x breeds must be walked with a muzzle on a 2m (or less) lead by a person 16 or over - how many of you have seen any of these dogs not walked in such a manner?

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/DogControl/

Someone posted here before about being stopped by a Dog Warden because their dog was not muzzled and was given a warning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Paul91 wrote: »
    reading up on this i found the following

so lets say you don't have a licence and you get stopped, €30 fine, not really an encouragement,

Thats every time you get caught and once they give you a fine they might call up to your house to check again and again

Its better just to pay €12 .70 a year

was that is Dublin do you know?

FYI I'm not trying to cause arguments, but i feel like there should be more done to help unwanted animals, and if money was raised via the dog licence - and hey cat licence - that was used for the betterment of stray/unwanted animals i think it would be great!

someone mentioned in the other thread that cat's weren't licenced because they don't pose as much danger to people as they don't attack people - but what about the number of times people swerve there cars to avoid hitting a cat left to wander?

Yup twas in Dublin.

I agree dog licenses should be a) enforced and b) should go to worthwhile usage.
    Cars will swerve to avoid cats/dogs/children/many things. So in the overall scheme of things, they're less of a danger because most of them aren't going to jump and bite you (not saying all dogs do either, it's the minority that give them a bad name).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

was that is Dublin do you know?

FYI I'm not trying to cause arguments, but i feel like there should be more done to help unwanted animals, and if money was raised via the dog licence - and hey cat licence - that was used for the betterment of stray/unwanted animals i think it would be great!

someone mentioned in the other thread that cat's weren't licenced because they don't pose as much danger to people as they don't attack people - but what about the number of times people swerve there cars to avoid hitting a cat left to wander?

I agree with a cat licence . I only say this because there is loads of cats on my street and they are breeding like rabbits

Pissing off my dogs

BVB wrote: »
    I agree with a cat licence . I only say this because there is loads of cats on my street and they are breeding like rabbits

Pissing off my dogs

Well having a cat license may not discourage breeding, some people don't spay or neuter their cats and thus the breeding, or stray cats that aren't spayed.

• Advertisement

star-pants wrote: »
    Well having a cat license may not discourage breeding, some people don't spay or neuter their cats and thus the breeding, or stray cats that aren't spayed.

don't think a dog licence will discourage breeding either, unless there was a discount for spayed/neutered animals

interesting how the UK change their restricted breed/dangerous dog description
    It is important to note that, in the UK, dangerous dogs are classified by “type”, not by breed label. This means that whether a dog is considered dangerous, and therefore prohibited, will depend on a judgment about its physical characteristics, and whether they match the description of a prohibited 'type'. This assessment of the physical characteristics is made by a court. A leaflet providing guidance on the physical characteristics that a court would consider in reaching its judgement can be found below.

and that they only list 4 types
    the Pit Bull Terrier
    the Japanese tosa
    the Dogo Argentino
    the Fila Brasileiro

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/dangerous/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Tbh, I've gone to get one and realised that I had to get it in the post office, not the Garda station.

She's chipped, vaccinated and has a pet passport. IMO it should be compulsory to have your dog chipped rather than have a licence for it.

olaola wrote: »
    Tbh, I've gone to get one and realised that I had to get it in the post office, not the Garda station.

She's chipped, vaccinated and has a pet passport. IMO it should be compulsory to have your dog chipped rather than have a licence for it.

i'd agree with that - then strays could be re-united with owners - or they could be made to pay costs of rehoming them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

A week after we got our pup the dog warden was going around the area door to door so we didn't really have a choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

I have a licence for each of our dogs.

In relation to a licence for cats - first the government would have to actually recognise cats as pets - at least dogs have some laws to protect them cats have none - when the government do that then I would be more then happy to pay for each of my cats to have a licence.

But considering they can't get there act together in relation to the puppy farms the cats have sweet all hope

seems to be an almost even split 58% with 42% without, and if you think people reading this thread will be more likely than "jo public" to get a licence i would think that it's probably swinging the other way in the big wide world - i have seen somewhere stats on the number of dog licence's issued - but of course now can't find it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭PetrovthePrat

We have one,but had we not had to get one when we got the brat from the pound. Don't think I'd have gotten one otherwise,but herself would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

i don't think i have ever seen a dog warden anywhere i have lived, what areas do they normally be around?

Im assuming the reason for not everyone having a license is because the warden numbers seem low on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

Dog Warden called to my house last year in Mayo. And he was accompanied by a member of the Garda Siochana. Honestly have the gardai nothing better for doing.
    Anyway he said he was in the area due to complaints about loose dogs. I had not got a licence for my dog when he called so he gave me a warning and I duly went to the post office and got one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

steph1 wrote: »
    Dog Warden called to my house last year in Mayo. And he was accompanied by a member of the Garda Siochana. Honestly have the gardai nothing better for doing.
    Anyway he said he was in the area due to complaints about loose dogs. I had not got a licence for my dog when he called so he gave me a warning and I duly went to the post office and got one.

Enforcement like that are few and far between like other laws ( rules of the road) ect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

yep our mutt has one, tho always crack up at the description they put on it , has varied from small, black and tan terrier type, to meduim sized. black and tan, spaniel type, eh hes neither lol black and tan yes but not a spaniel or a terrier:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have dog license for both dogs, the dog warden has been round 3 times in the last year, each time practically demanded to see license(resulting in serious searching on my part). Last time I said "you have got to be kidding" and he let it go. I complained each time about the dogs roaming and chasing cars around here and was told he'd look into it. My dogs are never out alone or off lead, unlike most dogs around here.
    I would pay more for a dog license if I knew it went to help animals or that it was being enforced. At the moment I only have the to avoid hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Irish-Lass wrote: »
    In relation to a licence for cats - first the government would have to actually recognise cats as pets - at least dogs have some laws to protect them cats have none - when the government do that then I would be more then happy to pay for each of my cats to have a licence.

Ha! I nearly laughed out loud when I read this!! :D We hardly have laws to protect children in this country, let alone cats!!! You'll be waiting methinks........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

Also it seems to be that if you buy a licence they will chase you to renew but nobody cares if you haven't had one. Has anyone ever heard of anyone being fined for not having their dog licence?

They certainly didn't chase me to renew my licence. They sent me a letter after the first year to remind me. That was 3 years ago. It expired 2 years ago. They never sent reminders since then. I don't mind! I'l just say i never got a reminder so i forgot.

lisajane wrote: »
    I'l just say i never got a reminder so i forgot.
    That's hardly an excuse btw, if you own a dog that's a reminder to have a license.

Each to their own about whether people want to get a license or not though, but I have one for each of my dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

Sorry for bumping this thread but the search didnt bring up what I am looking for.

I am looking for the info on the new dog protection laws and when the new dog licence fee is coming up so I can get a life long licence for my dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The proposed new license fee of €20 per year or €140 for dogs lifetime will not come into effect until & if the new bill is passed. You will need to get a standard €12 license now.

The proposed legislation is here:

http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=13826&&CatID=59

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

Thank you DiscoDog. I will be buying a licence tomorrow. I thought there was a new law coming in soon (not just proposed)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Skadi

Time again to renew my dog license. I noticed that in Cork you can pay your dog license online.

http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/web/Cork%20County%20Council/Departments/Environment%20%26%20Waste/Veterinary/Dog%20Control%20Service/Online%20Payments%20System%20for%20Dog%20Licensing?did=307443570

At the end of the process you can print it off or simply save it somewhere on the computer.

No more worrying then if the dog warden calls or searching through drawers as you could just email yourself the license and then search your email for it when you needed it. :D

• Advertisement

so if half the dog licence fee used to go to the post office i wonder if this portion will now be used to benefit animals in the country? anyone know?

Advertisement