Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buy now or wait until 2010?

• 07-10-2009 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi there,
    I'm looking for some advise but will try to keep this as brief as possible!

I currently have a 99 peugeot 106 with approx 60k mileage. Planned to replace in Jan. with either new or used car (decision to be made after shopping around) but had to take to the garage yesterday as exhaust was gone and sounded like little boy racer!

Garage have quoted me €1k to repair as everything needs to be replaced - catalytic converter, brake belt, and lots of things I have never heard off :S

This is the approx value of the car so now have to decide, do I change now for used car (07, 08 Focus, 306, Megane, etc) or patch up and try to make it to January and then trade in (looking at Renault scrapage scheme and hoping other manufactures may launch something similiar too)?

I have to have a car but have no idea what to do so any advise would be welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Sound like you need the car running right ASAP. Can you get the parts in a breakers yard? the cost of changing all those parts will affect any trade in now. Can you get your mechanic to get it running quitely and try trade it off? Most garages takening a 99 for an 07 will probably sell the 99 as "Sold as Seen" so there will be little or no risk to them.

I know a garage that advised to take a car off the road because of rust on the chassis. The car was traded as a scrapage to same garage who then sold the car on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ciaranoreilly

You can be almost sure that a garage will charge nearly 40% extra for parts on top of what you would get them for shopping around, your car is a commin car so look in scrap yards, like the on in dun laoghrie. they usually have all parts or will get them for you. but hold off till 2010 for a new car as the price will drop a bit and u can negotiate a better cash deal or extra years warranty etc when it is a year old. if you have cash and are buying a car for sale for 15000 you will easily get it for 13000. i bought a 05 mark 5 golf 6 months ago sticker price was 13500 and i got it for 10250 with years warranty and 1 year rac cover. hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Opel up in Swords seem to be doing a €5000 scrappage scheme at the moment. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rylan

Wait until 2010 for a new car. Go in now and try and get a good price that you are happy with and tell them that you will order it for 2010 on the proviso that they give you a run around loan car until then.........

There may be more incentives given by manufacturers closer to january and/or a government scrappage scheme introduced. Make sure you agree with the dealer that you get these benifits in addition to the deal you have already done. :)

Best case scenario is try and keep you own car running until january if you can source parts very cheap or do a quick patchup job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭techie

A friend of mine at work is in the same scenario , she is looking at a Renault Megane with the scrappage scheme also.

If she waits until January is there not a possibility that this Govt will change the current Motor Tax system to increase the Motor Tax based on Co2 to increase revenue for them????

Thats if the current Govt is still there after Saturday ? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Your own car wont be worth trading in. Any scrappage scheme incentives will probably be possible for a cash buyer too. If you were on about buying now you could buy a 6 month old car at a decent saving. Car sales would be getting quiet around this time of the year with dealers trying to reduce their stock levels before january

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 dooardbhoy

My opinion would be to do the minimum to get it fixed and sell it private, I would then go to a garage and do a straight deal as this works in your favour as there is no trade in and many garages will be keen to move stock. Don't buy new as there is a large amount to be lost in depreciation so a 08 Focus / Corolla diesel wouldn't see you go too far wrong. The only concern is that if you bought a car that was registered before july 08 you will pay a bit more road tax due to change in emissions. Not a fan of Renault due to problems and no matter what scrappage deal they would offer it wouldn't entice me. Good luck but do your homework.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

HELM wrote: »
    Hi there,

I currently have a 99 peugeot 106 with approx 60k mileage. Planned to replace in Jan. with either new or used car (decision to be made after shopping around) but had to take to the garage yesterday as exhaust was gone and sounded like little boy racer!

Garage have quoted me €1k to repair as everything needs to be replaced - catalytic converter, brake belt, and lots of things I have never heard off :S

This is the approx value of the car so now have to decide, do I change now for used car (07, 08 Focus, 306, Megane, etc) or patch up and try to make it to January and then trade in (looking at Renault scrapage scheme and hoping other manufactures may launch somehting similiar too)?

I have to have a car but have no idea what to do so any advise would be welcome!

A neighbour of mine just bought a 00 saxo for €500. Spending money on a car that old is a little silly IMO. Take a scrappage deal I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 HELM

Thanks for all the replies and usefull info.
    Have a lot of thinking & research to do but at the moment plan to try patch up job which will hopefully last until Jan '10!
    Like the run around loan car idea ;)
    Cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Hi there,

I would definitely get a second opinion on what needs to be fixed and how much. Try one of the exhaust places, Kwik Fit and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Thanks for all the replies and usefull info.
    Have a lot of thinking & research to do but at the moment plan to try patch up job which will hopefully last until Jan '10!
    Like the run around loan car idea ;)
    Cheers :)
    Sorry, but that is a bit much imo. Just because the trade is in free fall, why would you expect a "runaround" from a garage? What is wrong with your loud runaround? If I were the salesman, and you asked me for a runaround, sorry, but I would laugh....out loud too! Anyway, no harm in asking I guess.
    Spending 1000Eur on a 00 106 is, well, not really advisable. Try to offload your 106 privately. See what the straight cash deal is with Renault. Then compare the scrappage scheme price. The scrappage scheme might tie you in to a two car deal (like Nissan 50 50 offer) or there might be some hidden rules you need to check out.
    One thing is for sure though, you must read all the small print with the scrappage scheme.

Advertisement