Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sealing around chimney flue

Options
  • 07-10-2009 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a stainless steel chimney flue from my boiler going through my garage roof. It has lead flashing but there is some water going between the flashing and the flue.

Is there a tape which can be used to seal this?

Cheers,
    Lastbuilders

EDIT: I should add that there is a storm collar already on the flue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would use Silicon, Not many tapes will handle the heat from a flue.
    Surely if the storm collar is doing it's job there should be no water? Maybe just seal the storm collar correctly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

If its a gas or oil boiler you might get away with aluminium tape. If the flue is only warm when in use and as it goes through a roof it might be double walled in which case it should work fine if its gets very hot it won't work and the glue will soon burn off. But does depend where the water is coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi Last,

Belt and braces is remove the storm collar or loosen it and move it up out of the way, silicone around where the lead meets the flue, refit the storm collar and apply a bead of silicone around the top of the collar and tighten it, that gives you two lines of defence.

Use a good quality silicone Hilti, Tec 7 etc.

Advertisement