Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP Issue: Computer technical help needed.

• 07-10-2009 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Over the past few weeks I have been sending email as normal from my PC, which is using outlook express as the default mail package. We are using BT Business Braodband in NI.

I have just discovered that most (maybe 60-80%) of my mails have not been rec'd at the other end. Although I have not been receiving any system admin messages or errors and the mails as usual in my sent items.

Spoke to BT, they tell me my IP may be blacklisted and to power down router for 5 mins (done it for 35mins) so that IP is renewed. Works for a while (maybe a half day, but back to the same problem eventually)

Can anyone point me to:
    1 - Why / how this happens
    2 - How to fix
    3 - How to stop happening

Apologies on the long post, also dropping this on the tech forums, but thought here might be that little bit faster.

Thanks in adavance

Northwest

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Did they say why it is Blacklisted

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Over the past few weeks I have been sending email as normal from my PC, which is using outlook express as the default mail package. We are using BT Business Braodband in NI.

I have just discovered that most (maybe 60-80%) of my mails have not been rec'd at the other end. Although I have not been receiving any system admin messages or errors and the mails as usual in my sent items.

Spoke to BT, they tell me my IP may be blacklisted and to power down router for 5 mins (done it for 35mins) so that IP is renewed. Works for a while (maybe a half day, but back to the same problem eventually)

Can anyone point me to:
    1 - Why / how this happens
    2 - How to fix
    3 - How to stop happening

Apologies on the long post, also dropping this on the tech forums, but thought here might be that little bit faster.

Thanks in adavance

Northwest

If you seem to keep getting blacklisted again after a period of time, it tends to suggest that the blacklisting is indeed following your machine and a good malware/spyware/worm check is needed.

Try http://www.blacklist.ie/ to see if you are blacklisted first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭northwestguy27

Said that IP Blacklisting is to do with spam mails being sent, which is not happening from here, so I am at a loss.

Going to check system now for malware etc,.

Thanks for replies guys, keep 'em coming!

Nwest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Said that IP Blacklisting is to do with spam mails being sent, which is not happening from here, so I am at a loss.
    You don't know that [and you probably are sending them], hence you have to
    ... check system now for malware etc,.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭northwestguy27

Hi guys

Thanks for your replies and advice.

Managed to find the culprit I think. cmdagent.exe was the problem, all fixed and operating as normal now.

New antivirus packages added too.

Thanks - NWestGuy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 amesab

www.mxtoolbox.com is better site to check black lists.

Remember. Those days good antivirus software is not enough to protect your pc.
    God respository of Free antispyware software www.filehippo.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MxToolBox

Thank you for recommending our Blacklists Tool on our website. We are always looking for new lists to add to it, if you have any suggestions, please let us know at feedback@mxtoolbox.com.

Also you will notice our new layout and new tools, if you have any feedback on the new tools we would be happy to hear it!

Thanks,
    MxToolBox
    Online Diagnostic Tools
    Free Server Monitoring
    feedback@mxtoolbox.com
    http://mxtoolbox.com

Follow us on Twitter @MxToolBox and visit the MxToolBox blog.

Advertisement