Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stick making

Options
  • 07-10-2009 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

have a piece of birch drying in my attic, how long do you leave it to dry out and getting some deer antlers do these require anything ie. boiling or drying out,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭welsummer

as general rule it is one year per 1" thickness of timber. antlers you can use straight off the deer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

ronn wrote: »
    have a piece of birch drying in my attic, how long do you leave it to dry out and getting some deer antlers do these require anything ie. boiling or drying out,

There's a thread here somewhere, started by deeksofdoom about stick making. Maybe of help to you,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

thanks lads, looked for that post but the search tool isnt working, ill have a go later,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

ronn wrote: »

It depends when you cut the birch, if you cut it around January, February last it would be alright to use as long as it was stored in a warm dry place. Also in the winter time there isn't as much SAP in the wood and it will dry out faster.

However if you cut it recently you'ld want to leave it for a good while to dry out. I'ld give it at least 12 months if not more.

it is a good idea to cut about 10 at a time and cable tie them all together while they are drying and it will stop excessive warping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

welsummer wrote: »
    it is a good idea to cut about 10 at a time and cable tie them all together while they are drying and it will stop excessive warping

I'ld recommend the exact opposite I'ld leave them dry on their own and let the air circulate around them. You're going to have to straighten them anyway using either steam or a hot air gun.

most of the time i have little or no straightning to do

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭seoirse1980

Hey lads just got some seasoned holly and hazel and I'm looking for some info on stickmaking. I wanna make a beating and a stalking stick. If somebody can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. Have a basic knowledge of the process but I'm looking for the finer details.

Thanks a millon,

Seoirse

i have a very good book on it and you can borrow it if you like. please give it back to me and dont keep it for as you kept my hunting dvds. i know you are thinking if you kept it long enought i might die and them it would be yours

Advertisement