Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nobel Prize For "Chemistry"

Options
  • 07-10-2009 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Announced this morning in Sweden. The three joint recipients are Venki Ramakrishnan (Cambridge, England), Thomas Steitz (Yale, USA) and Ada Yonath (Weizmann Istitute, Israel) for studies on the structure and function of the ribosome. More here

Note: First woman to recieve the Nobel Prize For Chemistry in 45 years.

But getting to my main point (and the reason for the inverted commas in the title)--anyone else think the chemistry prize is given too often for researches in biology? I wasn't even sure where to start this thread: Biology or Phsics&Chemistry.

Although these three well deserve recognition, because their work really is astonishing and astonishingly important, should they get a chemistry prize?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Well, chemistry always had trouble identifying intself:p

Rutherford was given the Noble Prize in chemistry for his work on discerning the structure of the atom.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Malty_T wrote: »
    Rutherford was given the Noble Prize in chemistry for his work on discerning the structure of the atom.
    Wasn't that punishment for describing chemistry as stamp collecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

I have to agree with this one and alot of my friends doing Research in chemistry agree too. Its not very motivating as a chemist to see "structural biologist" picking up the chemistry prize. Yeah so all science has its overlaps. But i think if there is no synthetic chemistry involved, then its not really chemistry? Chemistry is about chemicals, synthesis, replicating natural products, discovering new elements, or chemical systems. Theres so much progress in the world of chemistry that I think they should be awarded to a more chemistry related team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Azelfafage

Biology is applied Chemistry.
    Chemist is applied Physics.
    Physics is applied..............?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Azelfafage wrote: »
    Biology is applied Chemistry.
    Chemist is applied Physics.
    Physics is applied..............?

Maths.

Maths is applied .........?

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Elegance:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Azelfafage

marco_polo wrote: »
    Maths.

Maths is applied............ Stamp Collecting.

(Ask Rutherford.)

And..........

Stamp Collecting is applied............Biology.

"Rotha Mor an T'Saol."

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Marvinthefish

Do you not think that is chemistry? More related (and relevant) to the subject of chemistry than ribosomes IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Maths.

Numbers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Erlt

Well, chemistry always had trouble identifying intself:p

Well wouldn't say that, chemistry is "the study of matter" and all. Atoms being matter, seems to fit in well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

Maths.

Logic

Logic is applied existence

existence is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

Erlt wrote: »
    Well wouldn't say that, chemistry is "the study of matter" and all. Atoms being matter, seems to fit in well.

Physics?

Physicist's are always getting chemistry prizes.
    All that materials science is physics or chemistry?
    Electronic structure, solid state physics, I'm very confused as to where the line is drawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Professor_Fink

pisslips wrote: »
    Physics?

Electronic structure, solid state physics, I'm very confused as to where the line is drawn.

It's not. All chemistry is essentially physics, but not all physics is chemistry.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Marvinthefish

By the way, the chemistry awardees are each giving a lecture today. Live webcast here: http://nobelprize.org/award_ceremonies/lectures_2009.html

12.30pm-2.30pm CET

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Erlt

pisslips wrote: »
    Physics?

I think the main problem here is the fact that people think that the science is strictly catagorised. It isn't, every science should overlap, if they don't there useless. And chemistry being the central science, there is a lot of overlap.

Advertisement