Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart 12mb in Cork City

• 07-10-2009 2:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭

Hi, interested in ordering 12mb with Smart later today. UPC is unavailable in my apartment block, so its either that or Eircom 7mb, while I'm aware Smart are in trouble I'd still give them a go but I want to be able to game happily with <30 ping at any time.

Can anyone recommend them?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Make the decision.. It's the Smart thing to do :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Make the decision.. It's the Smart thing to do :)

Well I'm sold! No seriously anyone in Cork using this package and happy with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The fact that there are practically no complaints about Smart's broadband would suggest that there are plenty that are happy with it. Your line will play a big part in what you can actually get, and what the quality of that may be, more so than the company you choose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

jor el wrote: »
    The fact that there are practically no complaints about Smart's broadband would suggest that there are plenty that are happy with it. Your line will play a big part in what you can actually get, and what the quality of that may be, more so than the company you choose.

Yeah, I don't know if there's been any complaints as I can't do a search through previous threads for Smart, hence why I had to start my own. I don't want to order 12mb and then find out I get half the speed and a 60 ping playing CS.

My line *should* be able to handle it, my apartment block is only a couple of years old and I'm much less than a km away from the exchange on Wellington Rd.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Dave147 wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't know if there's been any complaints as I can't do a search through previous threads for Smart, hence why I had to start my own. I don't want to order 12mb and then find out I get half the speed and a 60 ping playing CS.

Well the speed you get is completely dependent on the quality of your line, however you are far more likely to get a higher speed and more stable connection with low pings on Smart then Eircom, as Smart use more modern ADSL2+ equipment.

Also if your line does turn out to only be capable of 6mb/s, then Smart usually seem pretty good about leaving people downgrade to a more suitable package.

Definitely go with Smart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Use Smart from the exchange regularly but I'd say you will have to re evaluate your ping hopes to nearer to 60 - 70 ms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

[Edit]Oops just noticed that UPC isn't available in your apartment block, sorry[/Edit]

UPC also have quite good pings, these pings are going through a wireless connection so you could probably knock a ms or two off if the connection was wired:

PING rte.ie (89.207.56.140): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 89.207.56.140: icmp_seq=0 ttl=59 time=17.115 ms
    64 bytes from 89.207.56.140: icmp_seq=1 ttl=59 time=12.973 ms
    64 bytes from 89.207.56.140: icmp_seq=2 ttl=59 time=12.207 ms
    64 bytes from 89.207.56.140: icmp_seq=3 ttl=59 time=11.740 ms

I have the 10Mb package. Speedtest ended up as: 9.73Mb/s down and 0.96Mb/s up.

Bear in mind the time of day and all that, speeds and pings are slightly worse in the evenings, not a lot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 stephenc_ie

if you're interested in lower pings, make sure you get on to the smart forums.

the admins there can take off interleaving and drop it from "normal"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

The ping times is with interleaving off on the line I use from that exchange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I have quite a poor line and im on smart 9mb. I get pings of around 40 but I think if I went a bit slower with different settings I might do better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement